DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

23 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You don't think it's too soon? Not arguing with your point, I just think they could milk the chase a little more. Then again, milking shit well after it's hot is kinda the WWE MO so maybe it is best to strike now

No, it's not too soon. I think when a guy is hot, you run with it. Iron Shiek had the title for a whopping 3 weeks before Hulk Hogan took it away.  Created a boom.  Steve Austin won the title when he was supposed to. Created a boom. Cody is over. He needs to be the champion. Jericho can come up with devious ways to make Cody's life miserable for the next year. Jericho was the perfect first champ to run with as TV was debuting.  His reign served its purpose. Adam Page can turn heel and make runs for the title. Moxley, Omega, Pac (I guess), MJF after he betrays Cody, whatever guy ends up jumping from WWE. You can get 2 or 3 years worth of main event programs with Cody as popular champ. I will always side with the main babyface being the champion because it is a proven successful formula. I'm not saying Cody needs to be the champ for 3 years... only that he should be the focal point of the championship until someone more charismatic comes along to run with. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I love that the finish of a ppv main event match is such a huge question mark, and that ppl actually care.  Wrestling sure has gotten a whole heckuvalot better.

You really can see the case for a Chris Jericho or Cody Rhodes win for the AEW World Championship. Difficult to call it. Jericho's doing great work as Le Champion and Cody's face act is hot. Interesting seeing the end result.

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Surely a Dusty finish would just be the latest tribute from Cody to his Dad. 

It’s not happening, and MJF isn’t turning.

Hangman is the one that’s turning. They’ve been laying out the hints all over BTE the past few weeks.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, Pete said:

That and giving Cody his scarf to cover his hand with when he punched the glass out.

Shit like that is why I can't believe some of these geeks who can't wait for MJF to turn on Cody. WHY??? I want them to keep this delicious dynamic going for fucking ever, you troglodytes. 

There's an entire generation who grew up on nothing but WWE in its shittiest period and thinks that's wrestling, there's no other way to do it, and everything they do is right.  partners teaming up in segment 1, showing dissension at 9:30pm, then breaking up during the final segment might be too slow for these people.

19 hours ago, AxB said:

Speaking of riding horses, the horse Hangman Page rode into the arena at All Out passed away over the weekend. Rest in peace, Hunter Horse Helmsley.

Someone needs to put out an APB on Jake Hager...this footage just turned up:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s not happening, and MJF isn’t turning.

Reveal hidden contents

Hangman is the one that’s turning. They’ve been laying out the hints all over BTE the past few weeks.

Maybe they should drop some of those hints on the TV show that many more people watch.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Maybe they should drop some of those hints on the TV show that many more people watch.

I mean there has been stuff on commentary about him needing to get things together, and I could see it get pushed even harder with the results of his match at Full Gear. I mean they could do more, but Khan is very anti-skits on TV(and so am I). So BTE’s like the middle ground compromise between all the heads of the company.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I mean there has been stuff on commentary about him needing to get things together, and I could see it get pushed even harder with the results of his match at Full Gear. I mean they could do more, but Khan is very anti-skits on TV(and so am I). So BTE’s like the middle ground compromise between all the heads of the company.

That's not really hinting at anything though. He's lost a couple big matches and needs to get back on the horse. Doesn't necessarily suggest a heel turn.

As for skits on TV, there are other ways to go about it. Stop more performers on the ramp for interviews in the arena. BTE's average viewership is a small fraction of those who watch Dynamite. If there are major developments like the one you're suggesting, they ought to be on TV where people will actually see it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's not really hinting at anything though. He's lost a couple big matches and needs to get back on the horse. Doesn't necessarily suggest a heel turn.

As for skits on TV, there are other ways to go about it. Stop more performers on the ramp for interviews in the arena. BTE's average viewership is a small fraction of those who watch Dynamite. If there are major developments like the one you're suggesting, they ought to be on TV where people will actually see it.

We’ll see this week. It looks like it’ll be angle heavy on Wednesday. Although I don’t think they should have Paige interact with Cody. They’ve been avoiding that a lot on TV. This weeks BTE was the first in awhile that something’s happening. Hell maybe this wasn’t always the plan, and they realized that they could merge this development with Paige into that title picture without resorting to MJF turning this soon, if at all.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Being anti-skit while requiring people to watch a YouTube show filled with skits to pick up on character development for the wrestlers on TV is a recipe for limiting your audience.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

No, it's not too soon. I think when a guy is hot, you run with it. Iron Shiek had the title for a whopping 3 weeks before Hulk Hogan took it away.  Created a boom.  Steve Austin won the title when he was supposed to. Created a boom. Cody is over. He needs to be the champion. Jericho can come up with devious ways to make Cody's life miserable for the next year. Jericho was the perfect first champ to run with as TV was debuting.  His reign served its purpose. Adam Page can turn heel and make runs for the title. Moxley, Omega, Pac (I guess), MJF after he betrays Cody, whatever guy ends up jumping from WWE. You can get 2 or 3 years worth of main event programs with Cody as popular champ. I will always side with the main babyface being the champion because it is a proven successful formula. I'm not saying Cody needs to be the champ for 3 years... only that he should be the focal point of the championship until someone more charismatic comes along to run with. 

Again, agreed.  People got it into their heads that the money is in the chase but we've seen nothing but chases for what feels like decades.  It's okay to let your baby face run through multiple angles without having them trade the title around.  If they aren't going to put the title on Cody now, they really needed to have Jericho manipulate the situation so they weren't wrestling each other.  He's clearly the guy right now and not grabbing the lightning bolt is a great way to delay until people no longer care.

• Like 1

I was at the show live and it was one of the best shows I've been to. The crowd was great and the matches were fun.

Brit Baker had way too much time though. I've seen her since her first match and those who know me know I am not a fan of hers. She politics backstage, trash talks one promotion to another, and never really paid her dues.  She's been doing this for nearly 5 yrs and still can't cut a decent promo.

Wardlow is another worker I've seen since day one.  He is one of the most level headed wrestlers you will meet and does an amazing swanton.  He will turn heads in AEW I'm just surprised he didn't debut in Pittsburgh as it is his home base and he was backstage. 

I think the women's division needs a serious overhaul. Other than that I really look forward to each Wednesday and seeing where things will go next. 

• Like 1