DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ross also played more of a part in creative than Tony did for several years and fostering talent in an effort to get them over. It's much harder to reverse field especially when WWE kinda gave us quasi-shoot Jim Ross as an on-air personality twenty plus years ago. I don't think he has a desire to be old Jim Ross. If people think he is bitter now, imagine if he was micromanaged in AEW. Schiavone can go back to the well much easier because bad Tony Schiavone coincides with the time he was miserable in WCW. And it's funny that for anything AEW can do silly, he won't have to get as much goofy shit over like he did in the final years of WCW (or even the peak years). All his kids are grown and out of the house, and he has a fallback that he loves now if this somehow doesn't work out. So this is a cushy job for Tony at this stage of his life. All he has to do is follow wrestling.

shorter Elsalvajeloco: Whatever else might happen, Tony Schiavone will never have to say "Ladies and gentlemen, pray for the Booty Man."

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's a real bummer, for both shows, and it has been for a few weeks now. Actually, scratch that, it fucking sucks. NXT had their best episode last night and they haven't had a bad episode since the move to USA and they just go down every week. AEW has what is arguably their best episode last night and they haven't had a bad episode and they just go down every week. I'm just going to guess that baseball didn't affect it as much as people thought considering the drops for each weren't all that great considering the increases in viewership for baseball.

These are the two best wrestling shows on TV and fucking Raw and SmackDown continue doing over 2 million. Come on people. Check your heads. Watch something good for fucks sake.

You're talking about a country where Kevin James has had a successful film career and "reality" television reigns supreme. Of course they would opt for Raw and Smackdown. They're too stupid to know otherwise. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BrianS81177 said:

You're talking about a country where Kevin James has had a successful film career. 

Ironically, to Craig's point, I was actually going to bring up that I believe the staple WWE shows still being able to do over 2 million (for now) is akin to CBS inexplicably having the highest rated shows in the era of prestige TV. There are shows that do several million viewers every week on these channels that never get discussed in the TV discussion thread. Maybe people are embarrassed to say they watch those shows like they're embarrassed to be WWE fans in 2019.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Presumably, this isn't one of those situations where Nash texted himself and pretended it was from somebody else. 

It took me a few seconds to figure out what this was referencing.

Jesus, that whole "fall ass backwards into Summer of Punk but fuck it up because we already had plans for Del Rio" is a giant blur. 

It would have been one thing if they just fucked up Punk winning the title at MITB but the fact that they somehow transitioned that into a Triple H vs Kevin Nash program in the middle of all that is fucking nuts. 

And the whole "Congrats to Rey Mysterio on becoming WWE Champion but now you have to defend against John Cena tonight also!" thing as an offshoot.

I have to admit, WWE's ability to branch three different shitty things from "fuck, this CM Punk thing took off and we have no clue how to run with this" in pretty spectacular, even in the wake of other missed opportunities and massive clusterfucks that have happened in the years since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And of course, the plans for Del Rio were for him to drop the belt to Cena a month later before it was hot-potatoed back. 

Sandwiched in all this silliness was the Truth/Miz partnership and the walkout, which was fun for a couple weeks if you didn't think too hard about it. 

The best part of this for me is that they blew off Triple H vs Kevin Nash in 2011 with ladder match. Whenever I remember that, it absolutely tickles me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think that whole thing really hurt Del Rio. Wins the belt on a cash-in, loses it in his his first major defense. Wins it back in a triple thrreat because Awesome Truth created a clusterfuck, loses it again in his first defense. Just months after he lost both his Mania title shot and the ladder match for the vacant BGB. He got Lex Lugered into "can't win the big one" is less than a year.

For correction's sake, I will note that Del Rio didn't lose the second one in his first defense. He retained against Cena in a match contested in a ring Big Show and Mark Henry had already collapsed. 

Earlier on that show, Triple H and CM Punk were a tag team. Presumably because Hunter wanted some of that cool babyface heat to rub off on him. 

Geniuses. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I'll praise the Cody/Jericho brawl as my favorite AEW thing along with Cody/Dustin. Loved Cody putting his fist through the window. That felt like something straight out of vintage 1990 WWC in Puerto Rico. It just needed some blood.

Best thing from the brawl I don't see a lot of folks mentioning was MJF jumping over Cody to get his hands on the other guys. That caught my eye and it was phenomenal.

Pro-wrestling needs more of these type of arena brawls. In recent months we got the wild Riddle/Dain roster brawl and now this. Great, great stuff.

Edited by Edwin

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I'll praise the Cody/Jericho brawl as my favorite AEW thing along with Cody/Dustin. Felt like something straight out of vintage 1990 WWC in Puerto Rico. It just needed some blood.

Best thing from the brawl I don't see a lot of folks mentioning was MJF jumping over Cody to get his hands on the other guys. That caught my eye and it was phenomenal.

That and giving Cody his scarf to cover his hand with when he punched the glass out.

Shit like that is why I can't believe some of these geeks who can't wait for MJF to turn on Cody. WHY??? I want them to keep this delicious dynamic going for fucking ever, you troglodytes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Pete said:

That and giving Cody his scarf to cover his hand with when he punched the glass out.

Shit like that is why I can't believe some of these geeks who can't wait for MJF to turn on Cody. WHY??? I want them to keep this delicious dynamic going for fucking ever, you troglodytes. 

I never want Cody and MJF to be split. Hell, I want them to eventually win the tag titles. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

To keep the AEW/WWC Puerto Rico comparisons, MJF should turn on Cody like Ray Gonzalez turned on Carlos Colón and the Ejercito de la Justicia in 98. Have him spit in Cody's face and then slap DDP.

22 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I've never heard in my life the kind of incredulous heat Jericho got with the "Who wears a scarf?" comment. The whole crowd looked liked they turned to him and gave him the Hogan YOU in disbelief, amazing ?

That was such a great shitheel moment. My wife, who is the most casual of viewers, was like “wait, didn’t he-...” then thought for a moment and just laughed. This show is so good.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think that whole thing really hurt Del Rio. Wins the belt on a cash-in, loses it in his his first major defense. Wins it back in a triple thrreat because Awesome Truth created a clusterfuck, loses it again in his first defense. Just months after he lost both his Mania title shot and the ladder match for the vacant BGB. He got Lex Lugered into "can't win the big one" is less than a year.

What hurt Del Rio was that he was never over enough to justify the rocket they strapped to his ass.

31 minutes ago, Goodear said:

What hurt Del Rio was that he was never over enough to justify the rocket they strapped to his ass.

Another thing about Del Rio was that he came off as a cartoon character during a very hot period of Punk playing a more grounded character. So putting the belt on a caricature of a rich person felt like a step back after Punk beat Cena a 2nd time. I feel like Del Rio had a ton of upside, but they neglected to evolve him at that point to make him more appropriate as a main eventer. Same thing happened with Sheamus.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 10/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, alstein said:

JR did hurt the Juice/Jay White match a good bit IMO in 2018.

They hurt him first. Isn't that the one where they ran into him and Barnett got into the ring?

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I never want Cody and MJF to be split. Hell, I want them to eventually win the tag titles. 

For real. I want someone to interview Cody and ask him how can he be friends with MJF and Cody is like, "look, we all have that one friend people think is an ass, but still, MJF is just the salt of the Earth!"

• Like 1