DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I like Private Party, but tonight, they were disjointed and their spots seemed really, really choreographed. I think they just meshed better with the Bucks. Fenix stomping the shit out of dudes was cool, though. 

I know no one likes the Dark Order, but I appreciate that their control segments weren't fast-paced unlike the other tag teams. The pacing on these matches all feels kinda samey. 

Jericho is just so good at being a traditional shithead cowardly heel, man. He's fantastic in this role, at least on the mic. Also, his incredulous "Who wears a scarf?" to MJF was legitimately funny. If they're going to mention stuff that happened in "the other company," that's the way they should do it. 

• Like 2

That was the episode that made me cancel my WWE Network subscription after 6 years and buy an AEW pass.

The first half of that sentence - long overdue based on unjustifiable brand loyalty. The second half wanting to financially contribute to a product that hasn't done me wrong 4 weeks in.

That babyfaces standing tall moment and ensuing brawl was fucking magnificent. 

Absolutely loving the "we're going to put an all out batshit spotfest for the first 15 minutes every week, no exceptions, don't be late" format.

• Like 7

Credit also needs to be given to Jericho for making that suspension of disbelief happen.

The gradual dynamic change from 4 on 1 to the lazy Rhodes boys getting it to 4 on 3 take your chances to selling the hell out of a 63 year old man walking out as the fourth guy and pleading for them to not come up there was just great storytelling. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Why wouldn't Jericho want the adulation and his name all over the product? it ties into his yearning for gratitude. 

I've read Nash's tweet a dozen times and still don't know what he's talking about. 

Neither does he

Best case scenario, Nash is slipping into senility

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Swiftian said:

To Nash's point, it also doesn't help that it's the boss against his sworn enemy at the PPV, and yet the sworn enemy has provided a theme song for the event. Minor detail but still.

Technically, the boss is Tony Khan.

Yeah, none of the EVPs wanted to have someone doing a Librarian gimmick but TK insisted. Then they fell out over who got to pick, which is why there are two librarians (nb: this is all storyline; It's probably Matt's idea really). 

I love the awkwardness of how the old white guys in commentary relate to Orange Cassidy.

Its nothing deliberate by any stretch but God it adds so much to the character appeal compared to being told EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW AT UNNECESSARY LEVELS OF DETAIL REALLY LOUDLY.

By the same token, Jim Ross can fuck right off when he does it for the rest of the roster.

• Like 1

Specatcular show!  4 for 4.  I'm not sure I've ever seen 4 shows in a row as good as these first four.  I'd say the ratings are pretty great for a show and brand that began less than six months ago.  And only four weeks ago on television.  And with one really well known 'superstar'.  @Craig H these things take time.  If AEW continues to produce a show of this caliber we'll no doubt have a new 'boom' period.  I'm not exaggerating in suggesting this was amongst the best TV wrestling episodes I've ever seen.  I was even into the Baker match.  Jamie Hayter's got some real heel panache.

I'm not sure what ppl are missing about the Dark Order as they always look fantastic to me.  As did all the teams on this episode.  I haven't seen a lot of mention of Pac's top rope falcon arrow and the shooting star to the floor, but those were two of the most exciting spots of the night.  Pac is such an impressive believable heel.  I loved the Moxley late burst and close 2 count into the draw.  And I agree with all the praise concerning Cody, Jericho, Omega, Pentagon, Fenix, Moxley, etc. etc. etc.  Ha ha ha!  Money, money, money, money!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7

My only problem with the main event was, while it did have some jaw dropping spots, built around story and a lengthy PACK control segment which didn't connect with the audience as much as it should have. I really, really liked it but the crowd is all about them spotfests and AEW crowds broadly speaking don't really react like truly great crowds should to more story-based matches with the exception of Dustin/Cody. And this wasn't the case of that awful and hugely disappointing Bucks/Rhodes Bros disaster in Jacksonville that was all navel gazing for what felt like 60 minutes. It was a tightly told, well executed story with two paragons of their roles. They were kind of into it but not a whole lot of sustained heat. 

Edited by Oyaji

@Craig H  Don't mean to pile on, but I think what's encouraging is that Cody is very okay with ratings and knows with the current landscape how things are (he tweeted something about it recently)  And looking at this board alone it seems almost every week that there's at least one or two that decide to stick with this long/term and/or cancel WWE altogether and stick with this.  I need to touch base with friends I've been hyping these shows to to see how they like it but there's more momentum behind this than the ratings may indicate at times.  I think a better indicator would be how they do in four months time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Schiavone and Ross are such polar opposites.  Ross is so bitter and tired of all of it that we're probably 4 weeks away from him just shitting all over everything.  Schiavone, meanwhile, is a guy who was locked in a time capsule in 2000 and came out 20 years  later just fucking DELIGHTED at what wrestling has become.  "I LOVE THE TOPE SUICIDA!"  Wrestling needs more Schiavones and fewer Rosses.  Ross should follow his bliss, quit and go call Sooner games at home into a tape recorder.

• Like 9

I suspect JR is having an absolute ball.  He’s the tough love football coach character.  I might be alone but I think he’s been mostly great.  Tony’s been good too, but he has a bad tendency to oversell things that ought not be oversold.  That said I really dig this trio.  I wonder how Excalibur is taking the on air ribbing.  I assume he’s fine with it and having a ball too.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, nate said:

I hadn't heard either of these.

Jim Cornette mad at the Kliq and when he had to help Rick Bogner become the fake Diesel saying Diesel had very few moves, one of them was sweeping his hair back.

Eddie Guerrero in his autobiography thought Kevin Nash was evil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, can I say that I love that TV time remaining matters? You can't call the ending of a match automatically by looking at the clock.

Plus, time-limit draws are a good way to protect two guys when you don't want either of them to lose. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Jim Cornette mad at the Kliq and when he had to help Rick Bogner become the fake Diesel saying Diesel had very few moves, one of them was sweeping his hair back.

Eddie Guerrero in his autobiography thought Kevin Nash was evil.

Rick Bognar was the fake Razor. You obviously mean post Isaac Yankem, Glen Jacobs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I suspect JR is having an absolute ball.  He’s the tough love football coach character.  I might be alone but I think he’s been mostly great.  Tony’s been good too, but he has a bad tendency to oversell things that ought not be oversold.  That said I really dig this trio.  I wonder how Excalibur is taking the on air ribbing.  I assume he’s fine with it and having a ball too.

You're not alone. I think a lot of people here have been overly critical of Ross and tend to keep a lot of the announcers under a microscope too much. JR's calling has never taken me out of a match, these people aren't constantly screaming at you, they all sound like they love what they're doing and watching, and people here could probably cut JR some slack.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're not alone. I think a lot of people here have been overly critical of Ross and tend to keep a lot of the announcers under a microscope too much. JR's calling has never taken me out of a match, these people aren't constantly screaming at you, they all sound like they love what they're doing and watching, and people here could probably cut JR some slack.

Ross also played more of a part in creative than Tony did for several years and fostering talent in an effort to get them over. It's much harder to reverse field especially when WWE kinda gave us quasi-shoot Jim Ross as an on-air personality twenty plus years ago. I don't think he has a desire to be old Jim Ross. If people think he is bitter now, imagine if he was micromanaged in AEW. Schiavone can go back to the well much easier because bad Tony Schiavone coincides with the time he was miserable in WCW. And it's funny that for anything AEW can do silly, he won't have to get as much goofy shit over like he did in the final years of WCW (or even the peak years). All his kids are grown and out of the house, and he has a fallback that he loves now if this somehow doesn't work out. So this is a cushy job for Tony at this stage of his life. All he has to do is follow wrestling.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers mate.

To be fair, Bognar (rip and all that) looked like Diesel as much as he did Razor. He didn't even look like Starship Coyote blown up John Holmes wannabe looking Scott Hall.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It’s definitely a glass half full/half empty thing. For me, and I’m guessing the others who are complaining, JR’s calling has taken me out of the match and he 100% does not sound like he loves what he is doing and watching. He sounds bored and apathetic to the point where it sounds like he’s hurting the match for some of us. Ranting about wrestlers, especially faces, not grabbing the tag ropes or hooking legs undercuts the wrestlers and the refs. There’s certainly not an argument to be made that it helps them, at best you can say it doesn’t bother you. 

Regal was great in NXT in pointing out those things in a natural way, like saying someone forgot to hook a leg due to the adrenaline pumping or something. At least that way, it excused the mistake and made it understandable while building up the match. Ross saying stuff like “Aww come on, ya gotta hook the leg” or “You’re supposed to grab the tag ropes, that’s why they’re called tag ropes” does none of that.

• Like 3