DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

25 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Jericho hiding behind the glass reminded me of when my dad would be pissed at me, and I basically dared him to brake my bedroom door down.

Your dad obviously wasn't my pops.   My brother tried that shit once and my pops let it slide for one night.   

The next day, my kid brother returned home from school to discover that my father had taken every single door in the house off of the hinges.  We still do not speak of the asswhippin' my brother got that day.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Opening match was fun but Private Party do need some polishing. They wrestle like they should, brash young men who are too concerned with flash, but it's too loose for my taste. Their personalities are really fun though. On the other hand, Dark Order are donezo. If they ever had a chance they needed to come out strong from the jump here but they looked like chumps. Which is a shame because I think they're really talented. Something's not working. I'm looking forward to the finals, I could see it going to either team but my gut says it's a crowning moment for Sky.

The faction brawl was awesome. I loved it all: the call out, the glass, Ortiz slipping in garbage, Dippin' Dots, Jericho with the ticket at the end. It feels like MJF is going to turn in whatever gimmick match this brawl set up or cost Cody the title at the PPV but one of the great things about AEW is I have no idea what to expect next. They could play this tweener angle for a long time or they could pull the trigger now, either works.

Good episode, totally flew by.

• Like 2

Pitt was loud last night. Going to colleges is a smart choice. It’s been a loud rowdy presumably drunk crowd each week.

What I throughly enjoyed from last nights episode from the very beginning with Lucha vs PP starting right away it was nonstop. They started off fast and never let up.

Cody punching out the window. Holy shit was that awesome that brawl this whole Elite vs Inner Circle feud has been fun so far.

I really hope we get Cody Dustin MJF and DDP vs Jericho Guevara and PnP next week.

Janela vs Kenny was really awesome. Joey showed that he can actually wrestle.

• Like 2

Just random-ass thoughts again.  Trying to not repeat things everyone else has said already:

• I loved the show starting right in the ring
  • Excalibur calling attention to Moxley wasting time when the limit was coming up was so great
  • Wardlow looks like a doofus
  • I still don't buy Dark Order.  Stu Grayson was born and bred for fighting?  He was a happy go lucky flippy goober last time I saw him.  Maybe do a vignette telling me what happened to the SSB to make them so dark and brooding and EEEVIL.
  • The ending of the show was flat but I think it helps educate the fans that time limit draws can happen. 
  • I didn't know about the "10 count to leave the ring" rule so it was cool for the announcers to highlight it
  • Joey Janela has grown so much as a wrestler
  • I love the Okada zoom-out when the Best Friends hug
  • Kevin Nash participated in the fingerpoke of doom and he's complaining about exposing the business?  You know what screams "it's work?"  A middle aged guy with no knees winning matches in a combat sport.
  • HE'S DONE THE DEAL!  NOBODY KICKS OUT OF THE FALCON ARROW!
Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

Yeah I don't wanna go over too much whats been said already, but i really liked this show. I think it might've been the best show for me so far. Start to finish action, and the big promo segment ended in a great concessions brawl. Jericho was great on the mic again. I can't believe how quick it went. Its great to have a wrestling show i can watch all the way through again. 

• Like 2

You know what's great?  Due to its use in the brawl and the tweets from both sides I now find myself wanting to try DIppin' Dots after last having it years ago.  So mission accomplished if that's what they were going for.

And you know what's even greater than that?  Them finally not only showing their social/Youtube information but also showing clips from AEW Dark and the AAA match!  Huzzah!

Oh, and the show was pretty damn fun though you all knew that.  ?

• Like 1

Inner Circle in the box reminded me of ECW One Night Stand. 

I get the feeling a Cody ice cream would probably smell like cologne. At least a Dusty one would taste like ribs.

EDIT: Oh, and those air horns would have been a perfect cue for some cheap heat. "Hey Jericho, this isn't Tijuana, this is PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA!" The crowd, judging from reports, would have ate that up. (I appreciate him not feeding the trolls though)

Edited by Curt McGirt

I’m still pumped up from yesterday. Pretty much nothing much to add that hasn’t been said. My favorite episode so far. The Dip N Dots moment made me so happy. Several times throughout the show I was laughing WITH the commentary. I even liked the Britt match. The end of the show made me pump my fist.

I pick my wife up when the show starts and drop her back off at home. So I dvr the show at my parents and watch it as soon as I can. I watch the first few matches with my dad and it’s really fun. He crap talked the flips and “planned moments” and mentions Verne Gagne wouldn’t do that. We both have a good time. But this week he kept talking about Fenix being really good. He was completely won over. Even with a style he didn’t like. 

Mom interested to see what that Brandi moment was about. 

Now I'm really hoping that Lucha Bros win the titles and attack RnR's at the belt presentation and that leads to a match between the two.  I was just thinking how Dustin would probably be able to make some of Penta's goofier stuff work.  Gotta think Morton could do the same.

Oh, and just imagine the pop when Morton pulls out a Canadian Destroyer on one of them!

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ugh, Kevin Nash. I remember what Jim Cornette in his first shoot said about Nash. I also remember what Eddie Guerrero wrote about Nash.

I hadn't heard either of these.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Your dad obviously wasn't my pops.   My brother tried that shit once and my pops let it slide for one night.   

The next day, my kid brother returned home from school to discover that my father had taken every single door in the house off of the hinges.  We still do not speak of the asswhippin' my brother got that day.

I was smart.  I hid in the one bathroom once.

I had the upper hand.  I still don't let them forget.

It's a real bummer, for both shows, and it has been for a few weeks now. Actually, scratch that, it fucking sucks. NXT had their best episode last night and they haven't had a bad episode since the move to USA and they just go down every week. AEW has what is arguably their best episode last night and they haven't had a bad episode and they just go down every week. I'm just going to guess that baseball didn't affect it as much as people thought considering the drops for each weren't all that great considering the increases in viewership for baseball.

These are the two best wrestling shows on TV and fucking Raw and SmackDown continue doing over 2 million. Come on people. Check your heads. Watch something good for fucks sake.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

IIRC, this isn't new. TSN also got their underoos in a wad back in the Attitude Era.

This was even worse: at the end they were trying to bleep out ‘ass’ and ‘hell’.  Meanwhile TSN airs unedited CFL football games with live mic and on an NHL broadcast last week I heard a ref say, clear as day, “21 that’s a fuckin’ penalty.”  

They already run a disclaimer every single commercial break, I don’t get the ham-fisted attempts at bleeping.  I’d almost consider a conspiracy theory about WWE complaining to the CRTC about language on the AEW broadcast but that would require WWE to give a shit about Canada.  

I hear @Craig H about it being a disappointment because these shows are the best two of the week. But I really think AEW's ratings are really good and I am sort of shocked they didn't drop more going up against the NBA. I think they are hovering around their core audience and for a start-up company four weeks in that is better than anyone could reasonably expect. 

As far as NXT, they decided to do Wednesday night and they got paid for doing so. As long as their broadcast partner is happy with the rating, they should be too. 

• Like 2

in terms of watching the Fite stream, there was a lot less dead time during ad breaks. A lot of matches were going hard during the break, and of the segments, we had Cody doing his best to do a five minute Sandman entrance (eventually he got in the ring, got on the mic and let everyone know it was the commercial break. Then he asked if anyone knew any jokes... a guy in the front row asked for "Bear jokes" and Cody asked if he meant Bernard the Business Bear, which lead to lots of blank looks at ringside. In a later break, the Inner Circle after the brawl were pulling faces and yelling "The Best! The Best!" for ages. Everything else until the final segment was action.