DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I hope AEW and Cody don't make a habit out of teasing big announcements on Dynamite and not delivering. That's very WWE-ish and dying days of WCW to me. Like don't go on Twitter and tease the big announcement tease it in an interview segment and just don't deliver on it and forget about it. It's lame. 

Instead of teasing it, just come out and do it and then you will actually surprise people instead of dangling the carrot and bait and switching it.

Yeah, that was some carny shit, but it was still a really great segment. Brandi did seem pissed about something, so maybe they could tie those together.

• Like 1

This show was so fucking good. I have no idea how these shows fly by so fast even with all of the commercials. The only time I felt bored was during the Britt match. I'm sorry, but please stop trying to make Britt happen.

Only other thing I didn't care for was ending the match on a draw. If it's going to end on a draw like that, something absolutely wild needs to be happening, like they're brawling out in the crowd, someone takes a bump off the stage, someone goes through the set, etc. The ending, while logical, just felt flat for me.

Again though, the rest was fucking awesome. I have been begging wrestling to give me that feeling I used to get back in the late 90s where if I was tuning into Raw or Nitro then I was going to see an actual fight. Like, this was some motherfuckers fighting. Cody is over on another level right now. I was even going nuts for MJF coming out and then I was laughing my ass off when he mocked MJF.

Opening match ruled and so did the Bucks vs Best Friends, but I wish Best Friends had won. I get why the Bucks won, but there was an opportunity there to "make" the Best Friends. Even still, I'm ultimately fine with the results.

Man, I keep going back to that Cody promo. Jesus Christ is he over. He is white hot at the moment and Jericho is the best heel on the planet.

Finally, Pittsburgh was super hot.

This was such GOOD SHIT!

• Like 6

So, what happened after it went off the air:

Spoiler

Moxley DDT'ed a ref. Then Pac laid out Moxley, went and got a chair, and wrapped the chair around Mox's head like he was going to Pillmanize him. Kenny Omega made the save. Omega - Moxley staredown, then they team up to double clothesline Pac out of the ring. Pac backs up the ramp, Hangman comes out and stands behind him. Pac bumps, runs down to ringside and escapes through the crowd. Mox leaves and Hangman gets in the ring, gets on the mic and challenges Pac to a rematch at Full Gear.

In our weekly "Tony Schiavone marks out over how cool Wrestling move names are now" segment, he really likes Senton Atomico and Tope Suicida.

Did it have no opening credits on American telly, or was that just Fite coming in late? But starting with two teams in the ring ready to go, that was smart. Although I think they should have had Dark Order vs SCU go first, because PP vs Lucha Bros was always going to be super spectacular, and therefore a hard match to follow.

I think the problem with Dark Order is, they're both too physically small for their characters. If Grayson was jacked up and buff rather than lean and ripped, and if Uno was closer to 350 than 250, they'd fit their gimmicks. They don't seem legit doing this act. Maybe it's just me.

• Like 3

I've only seen two Private Party matches now but good god are they awful to watch. Just the most contrived shit I've seen in a long time.

I have to say this is the wrestling show I actually look forward to each week now (checked out the first episode of NWA and really liked it, will likely try to keep up there too) and I'm actually contemplating ordering the PPV depending on the price. I haven't ordered any PPV in a decade.

• Like 1

Cody and Jericho are both running HOT!

Their World Championship match at Full Gear is going to draw some really good numbers.

AEW needs to give Mox & Omega a promo together in the ring before Full Gear. 

AEW has put together a real good first month. 

Edited by Flair’s Shadow
  • Like 1

I’m curious how DDP feels about his finisher being used as frequently as a body slam. Way too many cutters tonight. 

I wish either AEW or NXT was on a different night. Just like the Monday Night Wars, I found myself flipping back and forth. Make sure to catch the main event and post-match angle on NXT. Great stuff. 

Edited by A Guy Named Tracy

I haven't felt compelled to switch the channel at all watching AEW. I'm not even a fan of much of the wrestling (I'd have been perfectly fine just watching the ending clipfest of the first match, for example), but there are stories, heat, and freshness. When I watch NXT on Friday or Saturday or whenever I get around to digging it up from the DVR all I do is fast forward. On mute.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Great show as usual and again very all action feel with match after match keeping the flow going. Tags were all solid and the Cody/Jericho segment was f'n AWESOME. Loved the way it all played out, the crowd being hot for everything, massive pop for MJF. Cody's got backup after all, nice surprise with DDP,  and it even made sense the Bucks weren't out there since their match was up next. Lots of possibilities for multi-man tags/future war games. Britt got a nice hometown pop, came off like a star in the entrance. Only wish they didn't cut to commercial during Cody's entrance and later the Best Friends entrance. Real good main event although I hate the announcement of the time, making it way obvious it'd be a draw with 5 minutes left. Since they were doing that, I wish they would've ended it with Tony going "We're outta time! We gotta go! See ya next week!"

I totally forgot that they had announced Omega/Moxley for Full Gear and thought they were setting up a triple threat with Pac. Always felt they should've saved Pac/Hangman for Full Gear rather than burning through it with a clean finish in the second week. Especially considering isn't their feud where the name came from and it was originally a top PPV match before, but I guess it's good they are getting back to it anyways.

I feel like the last two weeks the entrance music has been standing out a bit more so that's good. I had SCU's theme stuck in my head after last week. This week felt like Dustin's and MJF's were a bit more noticeable than early on.

Goddamn this was a fun show.   I got that old Monday Nitro feels watching this, especially given how they are running Jericho's group like an NWO except that they show ass constantly to keep the crowd pumped up.  Cody was masterful at playing against "cool heel" Jericho and dropping just the right lines to keep himself the babyface even though Jericho was being hilarious.

And damn does the relatively calm and reasonable commentary make all the difference in the world.

I am at times a little annoyed by the tendency of some matches to turn into flippy flippy with the crowd screaming after each high spot to the point where it feels like it's just a rote thing. But in every match there were sequences that were either fantastic from a story perspective or just straight-up amazing from the athletics point of view and I'm starting to get used to the style and pace.

DVR timer deleted: Monday Night RAW (New episodes only)

DVR timer deleted: WWE Smackdown Live (New episodes only)

DVR timer added: All Elite Wrestling Dynamite (New episodes only)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

After all these years tonight was the first time I noticed how much Pac looks like Principal Snyder on Buffy. I think it's because he's shaved the sides of his hair so I can imagine him as balding. Or maybe it's because for all the time he was in WWE he was booked so poorly that I never really bothered to even pay much attention.

23cc426d-0654-4caf-a0ea-b24b92cc1d73_thuimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg-2-ZVfG3ZRf5NSOgHBE

Edited by piranesi

I was there live and everything just flew by.  

The opening tag was great and red hot but the SCU/Dark Order fight was hard to follow since the Inner Circle was up there.  It probably came off better at home, along with the Cody angle.

They really tried their best with Britt and she was over live, although most people in my section were only cheering her because of the Steelers shit.  It was a fine match but she just doesn't impress me at all.  There was also a 4-way on Dark with Sakura/Ford/Gibbs/Allie that was horrible except for Sakura.  AEW needs some help with their women.

The main was good and the finish wasn't shit on too bad live, plus when it went off the air they sent people home happy.  It was a good way to protect both of them when you can't beat either.

BTW, did the TNT broadcast show the idiots with the Trump flag?

Great show overall and a lot of fun.  The place wasn't sold out but it was still pretty packed with only some sections on the hard camera side empty.