DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

LOL.

Let's not forget that Giannis has been in the league since 2013.  Before last season, he either missed the playoffs or got eliminated in the first round.  He ain't even close to MJ.  

In other news, Rockets beat the Clips at Staples Center with Kawhi and PG at full strength.  Let's face it: Harden and Westbrook are the best duo in the NBA.  

Giannis is 25. Care to guess how many titles MJ had at age 25? Or even how many deep playoff runs.

Come on man, are you really gonna argue Jordan info to a fucking Bulls fan? How arrogant can you be? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Giannis is 25. Care to guess how many titles MJ had at age 25? Or even how many deep playoff runs.

Come on man, are you really gonna argue Jordan info to a fucking Bulls fan? How arrogant can you be? 

In Jordan's first six seasons, he never missed the playoffs and won 5 playoff series.  

In Giannis's first six seasons, he missed the playoffs twice (including having the worst record in the league once) (IN THE EAST!!!!) lost in the first round 3 years in a row and has only won 2 playoff series.  

(Let's look at Harden's seven years in Houston for comparison for shits and giggles since he's such a playoff choker and whatnot)

In Harden's first seven seasons as a starter, Harden has never missed the playoffs and has won 6 playoff series (including two trips to the Western Conference Finals).  If we're throwing in the OKC stuff when he wasn't a starter, he has a trip to the NBA finals too, including a clutch dagger game winning shot in the WCF over ... Kawhi Leonard.  

I'm not claiming Harden is as good as Michael Jordan.  But I'm definitely not claiming Giannis is anywhere near Jordan.  That's just dumb. 

All Giannis does is travel and flop his way to the free throw line.  

God I love your logic. “Hey, I’m gonna include Giannis and his team missing the playoffs when Giannis was in his age 19 season as a raw prospect who only started 23 games while ignoring Hardens seasons before he was 23 because it fits my narrative.” You would never survive a debate club against junior high schoolers with that weak stuff man, up your game.

First off, I never said Giannis was better then Jordan right now, I’m saying if his three point game even gets to the “good” level then I think he could have a case. That is primarily because Giannis has a skill set that’s basically never been seen from basketball, and outside of improved free throw shooting it’s probably the only thing stopping him from becoming a literal impossible player to defend.

For perspective, in MJ’s regular run of dominance, he put up about 31.5 PER per season for 4 years (87-88 to 90-91). Those were easily leagues best. Those were his 24-27 aged seasons, so right in his physical prime. Harden best was actually last season at 30.6, as he does continue to go up over time. But Giannis last year led the league at 30.9. This year so far though? Giannis is at 34.8. So god knows if he holds up, but so far this year, he’s playing at a level that by one all encompassing statistic says is “clearly better then Jordan compared to any year in MJ’s career. Hell, if that 34.8 holds, it would be the best single season ever in NBA history, full stop. And it wouldn’t be close. Wilt’s 31.82 was the previous record holder. If (giant if) Giannis keeps up hits current level of play, he will shatter that. If you can say you have a good case for the best season in NBA history, you’d have a case for best player in NBA history.

• Like 2

I guess PER is everything. Good thing the Bucks won the chip last year on the backs of the almighty PER. Anointing best player in NBA history based on PER is absurd. The comparison of Giannis to Michael Jordan is absurd. 

Just like comparing Steph Curry to Jordan is absurd, but at least Steph had post-season success. 

if you want to go back to OKC Harden add three more seasons of not missing the playoffs and 5 more playoff series wins and a trip to the NBA finals. 

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I guess PER is everything. Good thing the Bucks won the chip last year on the backs of the almighty PER. Anointing best player in NBA history based on PER is absurd. The comparison of Giannis to Michael Jordan is absurd. 

Just like comparing Steph Curry to Jordan is absurd, but at least Steph had post-season success. 

if you want to go back to OKC Harden add three more seasons of not missing the playoffs and 5 more playoff series wins and a trip to the NBA finals. 

Once more, I never said he was better then Jordan, I said he’s the one player who I could see surpassing him. Giannis is a talent nobody has ever seen before. He’s a guy who is pretty clearly the best player in the NBA in spite of having sizable weaknesses in his game. And saying it’s possible Giannis’s best season might end up being better then Jordan’s best season isn’t really absurd. It’s just stating the info we have by facts. Saying Giannis could end up being the best player ever is all about seeing if he addresses his one weakness teams could exploit.

Also, Curry has no real case as better then Jordan, and never was going to get there. Didn’t have the defensive game to even get close. He won titles, but he also had a great supporting cast around him. Sorta like Harden, but without the titles.

And congrats on Hardens accomplishments when he had Kevin Durant to carry him to success. Him playing with 2 other future HOFers and still not being able to win a title isn’t really a point in his favor. Harden has no titles in 10 years while playing with Durant, Westbrook, and Paul, yet you are trying to take points off Giannis when the best player he’s played with is Khris Middleton.

• Like 4

Yep Harden can’t compare to how many chips Giannis has won. Even when being carried by Durant ... who never won a championship without going to the Warriors. But PER. 

You’re still comparing Giannis to Jordan. Stop.

(interesting to think about OKC with prime Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. They went to the NBA Finals. It should’ve been the beginning of a dynasty. They probably could’ve afforded all 3 contracts with some finangling. It’s a shame they were so short-sighted and traded Harden to the Rockets for nothing — not that I’m complaining. And now OKC has none of them.)

Can there be a Harden thread or something? This is ridiculous. 

All of those ideas are neat imo. In-season tournament will be strange and a change of pace but hopefully there are fewer back-to-backs. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I haven’t seen any Mavs games this year. I like Luka. What’s going on that they’re winning without Luka on the floor? 

Mostly, Rick Carlisle is a wizard who has mix and matched his lineups incredibly well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mostly, Rick Carlisle is a wizard who has mix and matched his lineups incredibly well.

Pretty much this. Luka obviously stirs the drink, but the system works without him. They are still a historically great offense when he's not on the floor.  Rick has a group of guys that buy in, and play hard.  Also, Kristaps has started to find his groove in the last few games, and I think people forgot that he's an elite talent.

30 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

The Pistons never should've fired Rick Carlisle. 

I don't know if they win the title without Brown in '04.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Carlisle wouldn't have been openly flirting with the Knicks job during the '05 finals. And I'm damn sure he would've been better than the parade of coaches since then.

I was expecting this team to be fun to watch. Since they have a good mix of defenders. Wrong, the offense is just too ugly.  Recently they are getting killed by teams playing 2-3 zone like it is a college team. Look at Brett Brown's response to how Ben SImmons can contribute against the zone.

Edited by Davey Meltzer

It is awful how Dante Exum's career has gone so far. I remember watching him defend Harden before the injury in last year's playoffs and he was doing phenomenally and the Jazz looked like they could pull the upset off. The second he went off that changed. He could've been an elite defender/slashing point guard if he didn't destroy his knees/ankles whatever a dozen times over already. He could still turn into something special. I read that as two first rounders at first and just about shit. 2022/23 second rounders from GSW and SAS sounds about right because I doubt they're bad by that point, specifically the Warriors. Clarkson has been doing great offensively off the bench and that's certainly something Utah could use right about now.

• Like 3

Me watching sports media speculate on the destinations of other teams' free agents: What a delightful and harmless lark!

Me watching sports media speculate on Giannis' destination in free agency: Keep  my beautiful son's name out of your fucking mouth.

• Haha 4