DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

The Lakers have been great, no doubt, but I have some concerns about the sustainability of some of the performances and if they have enough shooting to make it through the playoffs.

I have the same concerns about my own beloved Bucks.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

The Lakers have been great, no doubt, but I have some concerns about the sustainability of some of the performances and if they have enough shooting to make it through the playoffs.

I have the same concerns about my own beloved Bucks.

Definitely need Kuzma to come around, and for Dwight to keep playing like he has, but there's not a team in the West really ready to deal with the Lakers size.

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

And yet he still will never win a title.

Same could be said for a lot of players, especially in the era of the super teams.  Fuck the entire careers of Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Dominique Wilkins, Carmelo, Grant Hill, Dwight Howard, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Dave Bing, Lenny Wilkens, Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond, Reggie Miller, Tim Hardaway, Nate Thurmond, Bernard King, Adrian Dantley, Chris Paul, Chris Webber, Artis Gilmore, Vince Carter, Bob Lanier, Dikembe Mutombo, Alex English, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Pete Maravich, George Gervin, Walt Bellamy, Patrick Ewing, and Elgin Baylor, to name a few.  

But hey, Robert Horry has six rings, he must have had a much better career than all of them.  

Ringz culture is dumb and toxic.  

I'm pretty sure if the Rockets did win a chip, the argument would shift to "Well Harden only got one ring, LOL"

He will never win a title specifically because of how he plays and how often he is involved in regular season games. He does not play championship winning basketball. I don't think you can say that about Karl Malone, Charles Barkley or John Stockton (as well as many of the other names you listed). 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Same could be said for a lot of players, especially in the era of the super teams.  Fuck the entire careers of Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Dominique Wilkins, Carmelo, Grant Hill, Dwight Howard, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Dave Bing, Lenny Wilkens, Chris Mullin, Mitch Richmond, Reggie Miller, Tim Hardaway, Nate Thurmond, Bernard King, Adrian Dantley, Chris Paul, Chris Webber, Artis Gilmore, Vince Carter, Bob Lanier, Dikembe Mutombo, Alex English, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Pete Maravich, George Gervin, Walt Bellamy, Patrick Ewing, and Elgin Baylor, to name a few.  

But hey, Robert Horry has six rings, he must have had a much better career than all of them.  

Ringz culture is dumb and toxic.  

I'm pretty sure if the Rockets did win a chip, the argument would shift to "Well Harden only got one ring, LOL"

Dwight's coming off that list this year, tho.

And I'll say this for the rings argument, you might not need them to be the greatest Rocket of all time (I don't agree, btw, Harden would need to lead the team to at least one to top Hakeem), but you could score a million points in LA or Boston and it wouldn't matter for shit if you didn't win titles.

• Like 1

Can I start calling Dion Waiters "George Costanza" yet?  

Miami is actively looking for a way out of the Dion Waiters business. No one wants to trade for him, unless it's part of a combo package, or they can dump a contract that will eat into the 2021 cap (which Miami is saving for Giannis).  There's even a debate about a buyout situation, as Dion won't buy out unless he gets paid all $12m of his contract - and Miami trying to get him to reduce so he can go play somewhere else. 

Rockets win the revenge game against the Spurs on Star Wars Night for the Rockets.  Harden made a dunk and it counted!  Rockets were down 25 at one point and were down 19 at the half only to roar all the way back.  Westbrook had a great game and Harden hit some clutch shots at the end.  Defense was on point in the second half.  

Also, this little guy is undefeated when he goes to Rockets games.  

79195439_2892737474083321_13609553924141

Good thing we won ... We were surrounded by Spurs fans and I was talking a lot of shit.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

79195439_2892737474083321_13609553924141

I know positive comments to LM are very much frowned upon, but that shirt is pretty great.

While we're talking about attending games, I finally saw my first live Raptors win in late November (against the Knicks, so it was all but guaranteed.  Cheapest possible tickets, and all that).  Will be going to Raptors-Nets in February.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I had a 4 game parlay last night where the first 3 hit, 4th game was Cleveland -2.5 over Charlotte. Cavs had a 12 point lead as late as under 3 minutes and then Terry Rozier decided to throw up 30 footers the rest of the way. Final score, Cleveland by two. FFS. 

Cedi Osman also missed 2 out 3 free throws where he got fouled shooting a 3 in the last 6 minutes so fuck him too.  

As someone who grew up a Bulls fan, I always took the “comparing anyone to MJ” discussion as silly as shit. LeBron you could debate, but the Kobe argument always rang hollow to me,

If Giannis develops a three point game like he had last night, that is legitimately very good, I think he could surpass MJ. I just don’t know how you could possibly stop him.

3 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

If Giannis develops a three point game like he had last night, that is legitimately very good, I think he could surpass MJ. I just don’t know how you could possibly stop him.

LOL.

Let's not forget that Giannis has been in the league since 2013.  Before last season, he either missed the playoffs or got eliminated in the first round.  He ain't even close to MJ.  

In other news, Rockets beat the Clips at Staples Center with Kawhi and PG at full strength.  Let's face it: Harden and Westbrook are the best duo in the NBA.