DVDVR Message Board

Japan Conquers Rome - SDL - 10/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I'm going to be busy tonight, but I'm guessing the IC title match dominates the show, so, here's to hopeful wishing.

On tap:
FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Roman Reigns

SIX PACK CHALLENGE FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S TITLE - Sonya DeVille vs. Lacey Evans vs. Carmella vs. Mandy Rose vs. Nikki Cross vs. Dana Brooke

Elias vs. Chad "S." Gable

The New Day/Heavy Machinery vs. Robert Roode/Dolph Ziggler/The Revival

Miz TV feat. Smackdown Women's Champion Bayley

• Like 1

I skipped the Shorty G stuff. The shorty stuff makes me actively not want whenever Gable is on. Someone needs to tell them sooner than later that its killing poor Gable.

Roman/Nakamura was good while it lasted. I kind of like that Roman and Bryan are still a bit connected. The tag match later was nice and I am so hoping we are getting Bryan vs. Nakamura from it.

The 8-man tag was fun though Kofi doing nothing again is disappointing. 

The Miz TV segment was solid. Sasha did well standing out on her own while not overshadowing Bayley who delivered one of her better promos in general. I like that they didn't have every woman involved in the 6-pack challenge come out to give their two cents though I'm not sure Dana and Nikki were the best choices. The match itself was actually pretty enjoyable. Nikki challenging Bayley with proper heel/face alignments should be decent though I would have rather we got Carmella/Bayley. Carmella was looking pretty good throughout all of the match and the friendship she has with Bayley would have made for a far more interesting feud.

Since I cut out the worst segment this was a solid show for me.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Shorty G?  Fuck this company.

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I knew there was something that really pissed me off that I couldn't remember in the utter memory destroying vanilla haze of this entire show. That was it.

EG5FyjPXkAARPUV?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

WHAT WWE HEARS

Chad Gable: Hey kids, you're tough and strong and what people make fun of you for is a superpower! Mine is such a superpower it gave me a cool new name!

WHAT WE HEAR

Chad Gable: Hey kids, if you allow your employers to present your only presumed personal fault as a target for bullies, you too can be nicknamed like an '80s rapper! 

• Like 7

Bruce Prichard: "Well, he's actually quite short. People in the back called him Shorty. So, I figured we're on to something here. Short. His last name is Gable. So, G stands for Gable. Shorty. G. It makes perfect sense. It was a brilliant idea. He just didn't like it."

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Shorty G,  blech.   Roman Reigns and Nakamura having to wrestle twice.  Only 3 of the 6 women even got an entrance. That didn't telegraph the finish did it? Fucking idiots man.. 

Edit:  Is Lacey Evans a heel or what? She teamed with Nattie last week against Asuka/Kairi and it sure seemed like a turn. Tonight she was looking like a heel again. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

See, the "shorty" bullshit might have had a point in exactly one match. When he fought Baron after this shit all started, he did a quick promo where he said "Call me whatever you want, and at the end you will be calling me the winner of the match" Then he beats Corbin. Cole could throw out something like "King Corbin mocked Gable's height, but we have just seen he has giant sized ability in the ring" . We move on from there.

Google says that Gable is 5'8" and Daniel Bryan is 5'10". Nobody points out Bryan's height. His ability? Determination? Skill? All the time. And if they do make reference to his size it's something like "Bryan is taking it to the much larger(insert name here)" WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU DO THAT WITH GABLE? The man is a god damn Olympic level wrestler. He's even got the goofy personality that can pull off the comedy shit Vince loves. He made Jason Jordan interesting in NXT, a mighty achievement.

I'm not saying have him win the god damn WWE title, but if this is the best they can do for him then I don't even know what we are going anymore. Why stop at Shorty Gable? Why not call Otis Fatty Mcfatass? I don't get it.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I skipped the Shorty G stuff. The shorty stuff makes me actively not want whenever Gable is on. Someone needs to tell them sooner than later that its killing poor Gable.

I will conceded the 'Short G' stuff is super-dumb and even though the idea has been floating around since early September I'm still surprised WWE actually when through with it, THAT SAID, the promo tonight where he dubbed himself Shorty G was probably his most natural-sounding promo (Which makes me wonder if it was his idea) and the most I've ever seen a crowd into a Chad Gable promo.  So MAYBE, it's actually getting over, rather than killing him.

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

I have this funny feeling that EC3's continual shitting on WWE Creative is going to catch on, somewhere/somehow and turn into an angle that will get him over.  I could and probably will be wrong, but I can honestly see him amping it up and it catching on with fans and WWE somehow spinning it off into a gimmick that gets over like gangbusters before getting snuffed out for getting too over.

That Miz TV segment was the worst.  I mean Bayley was fine, but Miz talking about how he doesn't have to cut his hair and change things up to get over (Not his actual words) was so stupid when he's the guy who started wearing headbands and strange robes so the crowd would boo him was some next level stupid (And I LIKE the Miz).  I get the "tough questions" and needling is part of the MizTV presentation but it's pointless when the wrestler being badgered isn't allowed to get up and punch him in the mouth.

Daniel Bryan being just casually a good guy again, with no explanation other than Rowan turning on him annoys me too.  Three weeks ago he's out there complaining about how much he hates liars, and today he's saving Roman from a 3 on 1 and talking about how excited he is to fight on Smackdown.

Also, was it just me or was there an absolute ASS-LOAD of commercials and recap.  I know during the main event, it started, there was a commercial, I pressed the '5 minute skip ahead' button and it was back on another commercial break!  I feel like there was, what, maybe 40 minutes of new content tonight.  I don't want to go all GLF here, but I actually would be interested to know how much actual new content is on the show, and how much is recap.

And, what's with Micheal Cole CONSTANTLY trying to get Corey Graves to talk about him and Carmella? "I know you're going to be excited about this?!"  I feel like he tried to get Graves to react 3-4 different times to needling about Carmella and he dodged it almost every time (Except the cringe-y part where he basically copped to being aroused by Carmella and Mandy Rose fighting).  I actually think Graves has been toned down/more tolerable on SD compared to the last year and a half on Raw, but Cole constantly trying to get him to talk about him and Carmella is like high school jock talk.  It reminds me of Jericho's first book where Eric Bischoff is all impressed that Jericho is dating one of the Nitro Girls and offers to give him a raise if he admits that he slept with her.

6 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

Why not call Otis Fatty Mcfatass? 

In the last month we've gone from Otis as wacky big dude, to Otis as wacky big dude who pulls down the straps to expose his belly, to Otis as wacky big dude who wears short tights to expose his belly, to Otis as wacky big dude who wears short tights to expose his belly and drinks slop out of a bowl getting it all over his face.  We're probably about two weeks from Fats McGee who just wants to eat and entertain the WWE universe.

• Like 1

So I'm the only one noticing Kofi's little mannerims while talking about power of positivity after Tucker's remark about losing the title? There is something going there.

Edited by FDC1
  • Like 1

The Shorty G thing isn't great but you can see where they're trying to go with it. They're setting him up as a plucky underdog who'll pull off a surprise IC title win in the future. I'm surprised some of you guys are getting all worked up about it. Now whether it works or not or whether they get bored and forget about it is another matter of course.

Dull show overall and sadly I've been increasingly bored by their shows for quite a while now.

• Like 1