DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Guest The Magnificent 7

I don’t think Britt Baker is as bad as some have made out. She can definitely tighten things up, though. Riho is fun to watch , but her rolling to her stomach and arching her neck to take the submission was too choreographed looking after eating some slam or strike. I can’t remeber what the setup move was, but that didn’t look like Baker’s fault. 

I liked the reversal pin finish, though. It has to be hard making whether or not you open your mouth a credible, drama filled spot, but Riho’s expressions there were great. 

I'm pretty sure I've heard Jim Ross go on one of his old man steam of consciousness rants about Jungle Boy's name before.  He was all, "Jack Perry.  Jungle Jack.  Jungle Boy?  He's a grown-ass man, bah-gawd.  His daddy's the late Luke Perry.  He's the man of the house now.  Time to be a man.  Jungle Boy.  Mah boy.  Look at your precious curls.  Time to grow up and grow some curls on his jungle balls.  Jungle Boy.  I'm just a Jungle Boy.  Jungle Boyyy.  Hrm, sassafras."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I wish I liked Darby Allin more. Actually, I enjoy watching him get beat up because he's really wonderful at selling pain and grogginess. On offense, though, his shit is Charmin-soft. I know he's small, but even when he seems to be trying to lay it in, it looks shitty. Plus, he's got to stop with the unnecessary tumbling routine.

This show was okay, I guess. Stone Cold Jon Moxley being a thing finally is entertaining just because his Austin-with-barbed-wire-bats cosplay is a decent enough facsimile of the real thing here in 2019. 

Oh yeah, and Britt Baker reminds me of Emma looks-wise and even threw one good forearm, but the whole time, I was just wishing that it was actually Emma in that ring instead of someone doing a shitty matwork sequence that made everyone involved look silly. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not reading a single thing into what gains viewers. It's fucking random. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Unless it's consistent over time. And even then, if a booker believes they're building something or someone up worthwhile they shouldn't knee jerk and drop it unless it's dead to the live audience on the regular too.

• Like 2

Riho vs. Britt Baker came across much better on tv than it did live. I thought Britt was a little sloppy watching live, but I don't think her execution looked bad upon second viewing. I loved Britt struggling and failing to get Riho's mouth open for the Mandible Claw, and Rhio countering the Lockjaw.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm not reading a single thing into what gains viewers. It's fucking random. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

plus, if he meant the Lucha/Jurassic QH was the only quarter hour to have higher ratings than the quarter hour before it.. well.. that wouldn't exactly be good consistency (8 quarter hours, 7 chances to increase on the last QH, and only increasing once). Although the rating could be every 5 minutes, I guess.

God Darby Allin looked like a fucking star. I'd almost forgotten how it works to just put a guy in a big spot and let him get over. I'm probably being hyperbolic, but there was a moment in that match that I started thinking about Flair/Sing in '88.

Jericho won the match, still gave Allin a rub, looked vulnerable, but lost no heat. They built Allin up in, what, 3 matches? And they got a main event on TV that was credible, and have positioned Allin as a guy they can come back to as a top level act. 

Is booking that eas?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Riho vs. Britt Baker came across much better on tv than it did live. I thought Britt was a little sloppy watching live, but I don't think her execution looked bad upon second viewing. I loved Britt struggling and failing to get Riho's mouth open for the Mandible Claw, and Rhio countering the Lockjaw.

How were the t-shirt stands? Were there more than one?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I wish I liked Darby Allin more. Actually, I enjoy watching him get beat up because he's really wonderful at selling pain and grogginess. On offense, though, his shit is Charmin-soft. 

He will grow on you,  He's a good, smart worker and he's very serious about not hurting the guys he's in the ring with since he's well aware that the nature of his gimmick makes people expect him to be super violent.

I will just chalk his powder puff offense to big stage nerves for now.  I have faith he'll get better as he gets used to the spotlight.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

How were the t-shirt stands? Were there more than one?

IIRC, I saw two merch tables, one of which was pretty much right in front of the building after you walked through the metal detectors. They had what you would expect them to.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

God Darby Allin looked like a fucking star. I'd almost forgotten how it works to just put a guy in a big spot and let him get over. I'm probably being hyperbolic, but there was a moment in that match that I started thinking about Flair/Sting in '88.

Looks like someone's been drinking a little bit of the bubbly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IIRC, I saw two merch tables, one of which was pretty much right in front of the building after you walked through the metal detectors. They had what you would expect them to.

In DC we saw a few.  Not as many as WWE would have but they were still around if you needed something.  Did they have the Elite Fleet table(s) nearby them?  You sign up for their emails and screen print the logo somewhere on your shirt/jacket.  We did that for the shirt and jacket we got which looks pretty neat.  Thankfully the emails aren't a lot/annoying as of yet.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, they really aren't heels though even if they are jerks. 

Fenix is great and all but I don't think he holds a candle to brother Pentagon in terms of star power. In time, after the company establishes who everybody is and things settle down a bit, I would think you'll see more and more singles matches for Pentagon and Fenix while still being a tag team. There's no reason they can't be kept as a team but also pushed as single stars.

I'm sorry.  Didn't they try to cripple a guy this show?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

He will grow on you,  He's a good, smart worker and he's very serious about not hurting the guys he's in the ring with since he's well aware that the nature of his gimmick makes people expect him to be super violent.

I will just chalk his powder puff offense to big stage nerves for now.  I have faith he'll get better as he gets used to the spotlight.

He definitely does stuff in the ring that I like. He's also young, so he's probably figuring out how to deliver offense that looks good and that fits with the character he's going for without being too dangerous.

He's a Seattle boy, so I'm going to give him every chance and root for him to become big. 

I'm guessing this isn't making Dark, so they put it on YT instead:

Cody vs Tangerine Cassidy

If the kid version of the gimmick is this over, they should definitely feature the man himself more prominently. This video even gives them a storyline reason for him to wrestle MJF one on one now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goodear said:

I'm sorry.  Didn't they try to cripple a guy this show?  

Yes! And all of the booing for it when they came out and bullied small children to 90% cheers. Steve Austin before he became a caricature was a giant dickhead and was hugely over as a babyface too. They are way too awesome/over with the crowd to be heels. There's no point pretending. They're just aggro because Cero Miedo or something. I'll admit the booking for them has been a little confusing but there's not fuckin' chance they're heels.

• Like 2

Watched that video. Really cool that kid was trying hard not to break character and smile, a had a couple slips. 

Orange Cassidy is gonna be on next weeks show in Pitt. If the kids there then I’m sure there’s gonna be some sort of interaction. It looked like they were building towards MJF vs Rick Knox. That was my big take away from the whole video.

Cassidy and MJF should have some sort of altercation next week. Shit I say book the match for Full Gear. Put it in first start the show off with a bang.

I’m full Team Cassidy. I think why the gimmick works and why its so over is because Orange Cassidy can wrestle. It’s not that he’s some shithead from the crowd making a joke of the whole thing as Cornette would lead you to believe. I wonder if Cornette has sat through an entire Orange Cassidy match. He always seems to be complaining about the first five minute. Cassidy has his hands in his pockets cuz fuck it he’ll take them out when he’s good and ready.

Oh shit my bad, totally forgot SCU vs Best Friends was in this weeks show. Thought it was next week momentarily. Why the fuck wasn’t Orange Cassidy on the show?

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1