DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'll have to re-watch it, but it looked to me like Aubrey called the match and less like Allin giving up.

I agree but that's not how quite a few people interpreted it and the announcers didn't really address it either. Missed opportunity but Darby comes out of that match looking like a star still so it's not a big deal... Perhaps these small attention to detail things improve as time goes on. I think it was largely just a timing issue. 

Edit: as for the rope breaks, that's fine but Jericho shouldn't have released it because although he couldn't win while Darby's in the ropes he himself can't get disqualified. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't really care either way.  About halfway through the Moxley/PAC/Page/Omega tag, I started overthinking who might take the pin and why, and then I realized "hey, they don't have to protect everyone in losing.  That's some WWE shit."

I really like the idea of not worrying about protecting someone. I've never looked at wrestlers getting beat as an indicator that they shouldn't be in that spot. It's different when you have something like a top guy getting squashed, but in an everyday regular old match, I have no issue with making the finish come in  whatever way it needs to and at the "expense" of one particular wrestler. 

Every last one of those dudes can take that pinfall and not be any less over. Maybe it's a consideration for a guy like Darby Allin, whom you are trying to establish.  But none of those four was going to take any harm from dropping the fall.

And I will also say, that in three weeks of TV, they have done a better job of presenting multiple "new" faces as up and coming folks. Private Party, Riho, Scorpio Sky, Darby Allin, Marko Stunt, and the Best Friends all look like people that we can look forward to being able to carry the ball when it is their time, and isn't that the most important thing? That regardless of your place on the card, you can deliver?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Ortiz does look like the naughty ADHD kid from school, it's in the eyes ?

They both look like they've done a ton of nose candy, especially with the bugged out eyes and the tongue wiggling. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I really love Justin Roberts giving Moxley the John Cena "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN" intro

Always liked Justin Roberts ring announcing. Fuck John Bradshaw Layfield for bullying Roberts as he did. Twat.

• Like 2

Just now, The Natural said:

Always liked Justin Roberts ring announcing. Fuck John Bradshaw Layfield for bullying Roberts as he did. Twat.

Fish rots from the head.  They work(ed) for a bully who gets off on things like putting married couples, including one with a child on the way, into cuckold angles in a business where real life follows the storyline more often than not.

• Like 3

There's two types of charisma. One is instant and impactful, where someone takes over a room the second they walk in. Penta has that type. The other is a slow, subtle likeability that grows over time, to where even if someone isn't presented as a big deal, everyone just wants to get behind them and see them do well. Fenix is that way. Add in that they're heels in this company, and Fenix is a natural babyface (Penta, conversely, is the type who gets over as a face based on how good of a heel he is), it's to be expected that anyone who doesn't know them from LU or Impact would think Penta was the star of the team.

• Like 2

Yeah, they really aren't heels though even if they are jerks. 

Fenix is great and all but I don't think he holds a candle to brother Pentagon in terms of star power. In time, after the company establishes who everybody is and things settle down a bit, I would think you'll see more and more singles matches for Pentagon and Fenix while still being a tag team. There's no reason they can't be kept as a team but also pushed as single stars.

• Like 1

0.44 rating in 18-49, 1.01M watched

last week was 0.46 and 1.02M (Without adding the people who were watching TruTV)

first week was 0.68 and 1.41M

so the upside is that as long as they can stay consistent around the week 2/3 numbers.. that’s not bad on cable. Basketball Wives won 18-49s with a 0.54. Tucker Carlson won the overall viewers night with 4M (0.32 18-49 and 3.17 50+) with Hannity and Maddow over 3M.

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

0.44 rating in 18-49, 1.01M watched

last week was 0.46 and 1.02M (Without adding the people who were watching TruTV)

first week was 0.68 and 1.41M

so the upside is that as long as they can stay consistent around the week 2/3 numbers.. that’s not bad on cable. Basketball Wives won 18-49s with a 0.54. Tucker Carlson won the overall viewers night with 4M (0.32 18-49 and 3.17 50+) with Hannity and Maddow over 3M.

I hope those people lose their remotes, and never find them again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm going to post more after I watch the show OnDemand and see how things came across on tv vs. how they came across live. There were very loud CZW chants for both Janela and Moxley, both of whom bowed to the crowd and seemed genuinely moved. There was also a very loud ECW chant for Taz when he came out for Dark before and after the show.

I thought Darby Allin should have gotten more offense in. At times, the title match almost felt like a squash. Rather than Darby shaking his head and verbally giving up, his head should have just hit the mat as he blacked from pain and Aubrey call for the bell. Either way, Darby was very over with the Philly crowd.

Prior to the Leva Bates/Nyla Rose, Peter Avalon brought up the Washington Nationals going to the WS while Bryce Harper and the Phillies failed to make the playoffs. He also brought the American forefathers moving the capital from Philadelphia to Washington. That and SHHHHHHHHH'ing the crowd got the Librarians HUGE heat. Brandon Cutler also got huge heat. He didn't do anything in particular other than being a "squeaky clean nerd" that plays D&D and being against an area favorite in Janela.

It was surprising that there was a squash match, but it absolutely worked in making Santana & Ortiz look like killers. They are very over as well. MJF teased a dive to the floor, but ended up flipping us off. He and Brandi were great trying to interfere. 

The negative: There were a few groups of schmucks in the upper deck that were seemingly there just to heckle. It wasn't creative, funny heckling. It was chanting nxt, 'We want Brock", chanting Goldust during the 8 man tag, "Lets go Cena", and other dumb shit. They were shouted down several times. They did get the Brutus Beefcake treatment and have "Kill Yourself" yelled at them amongst other things. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

It came off as Darby giving up. They previously built him up as a man who has no quit, even on commentary they were putting that over. That is not good. I though the match was very good itself (I expected greatness) but that part of the finish was problematic in terms of establishing Darby as a man who can tolerate pain and is relentless. 

This. It’s not about protecting Allin, as a pinfall would have been fine and he should have lost cleanly to the champ. He looked great in the match, it’s just that after going on and on about how much pain he could handle, submitting to the lion tamer after a sucker punch was a step back. 

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Rope breaks shouldn't be an issue. Rope breaks have always existed in a street fight where the pin/submission needs to take place inside the ring. A street fight means weapons are legal and you can't be DQ'd but it doesn't mean there are no rules at all.  

Rope breaks in a submission hold shouldn’t exist in a street fight/no DQ match, because the penalty for not breaking the ropes is getting DQ’d. Instead, as you said, they have to win in the ring, which they can’t do if someone is holding the ropes. So the announcers should have explained that Jericho didn’t have to break the hold, but he couldn’t win while Allin was holding/on the ropes. I think that happened in one of the 205Live no-dq matches, where someone kept a hold on to inflict more damage even though he couldn’t get a submission.

• Like 1