DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, For Great Justice said:

See I thought where they were going with that finish was that Darby couldn’t tap out so the ref used her discretion to stop it. The announcers didn’t put that over though. 

Yeah, the camera really didn’t show it either. IIRC, the way ref nodded her head and called for the bell made it seem like he submitted.

Okay so I made a big mistake this morning and went on Twitter to see what people are saying about AEW.   And it seems like the big topic is people shitting on Marko Stunt.  The words used the most is "not believable".    Listen if you are a WWE or maybe even a new japan fan and you are set in a certain way of wrestling then I can understand why Marko Stunt triggers you.  I will let you people slide and you can go watch your seth Rollins matches.   But for the last fucking year all I hear is "WWE is so bland.  WWE is same old same old.  We need an alternative".   so AEW is giving us guys like Marko Stunt and people are complaining that he doesn't fit the mold of a wrestler.   

Yes he is 5 foot nothing and about 150 pounds with a brick in his tights.  You know who else was 5 foot nothing about 150 pounds and looked like a 15 year old,  Rey Mysterio in 1995-1998 ECW and WCW.  The crowd loved him.    No I am not saying Marko is Rey Mysterio but in all the times I have seen him live he has never disappointed the fans.  Hell the reason he was in AEW is because he was just this "fan in the crowd" at a GCW show that nobody took seriously and then had an insane match against Kyle the Beast and here we are.

You can't complain about all the ice cream tasting like vanilla and then bitch and moan when your strawberry ice cream doesn't taste like vanilla. 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yup... If last weeks team felt like Barry & Dustin, then this weeks felt like Lex & Barry. with the two blonde athletic partners.

Barry Windham ain’t do no moonsault to the floor.

Not trying to harp on this but I’d suggest Page simplify things. He’s got the babyface fire and big lariat down. Throw some big suplexes and backbreakers and shit. There are so many juniors on the show already for the other stuff and he’s a bigger guy on this roster. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Barry Windham ain’t do no moonsault to the floor.

Not trying to harp on this but I’d suggest Page simplify things. He’s got the babyface fire and big lariat down. Throw some big suplexes and backbreakers and shit. There are so many juniors on the show already for the other stuff and he’s a bigger guy on this roster. 

It’s a damn good looking moonsault to the floor, though. 

• Like 2

Philly was hot the whole night. I hope they are that hot on Dark. The matches were all really good. The LAX squash was fun, they looked like big stars coming out of the locker room on the picture and picture during commercial.

The Lucha Bro’s are ruthless to they beat the shit outta Marko Stunt.

Jericho vs Darby and Kenny/Page vs Moxley/PAC were my matches of the night.

Anyone notice the giant Ted Turner fat head in the crowd? Now that’s giving respect where respect is due.

• Like 4

I think the reason for needing rope breaks during the mean event was for the near fall while Darby was tied up.  He could have just raised his shoulder up but I guess they felt it'd be better to have a rope break.  Either way it didn't take me out of the match as if that's how they want to do it then so be it.  At least they were pointing this out with certainty instead of being confused like in WWE.

I really loved the show.  Scorpio's going to be a star and if they get around to making a TV title he'd be great in going for that.  I wouldn't rule out a world title chase/win for him either.  I knew Marko could bring the goods but he needs stop that goddamn Floss dance post-haste.  If you're part of a popular trio and that elicits boos then it's time to stop that shit.  But then I'll hear about some kids who play Fortnite love him for that and I'll realize just how out of touch I am with things.  And Darby making that comeback tied up was just wonderful stuff.  I'm kind of glad they didn't go all out like Omega/Janela last week with the weapons and it instead made their usage a bit more meaningful.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

Opening tag ruled and Sky is the future if he can roll with punches better than that. So you botched the finish, you also advanced in the tournament so you should celebrate. Also, he was wrestling in socks, I’m surprised he didn’t miss more things.

Riho is a star! She’s managed to turn her tiny frame into an asset and it rules. Britt is getting there. She has the right stuff but needs to get it all together. Hoping for a big title match for the PPV to cement the division.

Last two matches were rad too and exactly the alternative people are looking for. Not everyone will be into Marko Stunt but people can dig middle fingers and hardcore matches. It’s clear Jericho and Allin work different paces in their matches but if anything Chris slowing guys down a little is a good thing. Agreed the finish was lacklustre but it was over and the bubbly celebration was great.

So much fun! I got a friend to watch for the first time and he’s a convert now.

Edited by Godfrey

Allin managed to get a rope break on the Boston Crab earlier in the match, but obviously with his hands taped behind his back he's no way to crawl for the ropes again. They could have had him gut the hold out until TV time expired and end it on a draw, but then there's no time for a post match Bubbly celebration, so swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

Yup, I believe they ran short on time and didn't have enough of it for Darby to pass out in the Walls. You can see Edwards clearly passing an urgent message to both of them after the dive to the outside with Darby taped up so it was all a bit rushed and the finish didn't do Darby the favour I'm guessing they were going for. 

• Like 1

*shrugs* I thought the finish was just fine. I don't see what favor it was supposed to do Darby when the motherfucker was already on his way to stealing a win with his hands taped up behind his back and it took Hager sucker punching Darby to let Jericho apply the Walls when the dude couldn't tap out or get a rope break.

Darby looked strong in defeat. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yup, I believe they ran short on time and didn't have enough of it for Darby to pass out in the Walls. You can see Edwards clearly passing an urgent message to both of them after the dive to the outside with Darby taped up so it was all a bit rushed and the finish didn't do Darby the favour I'm guessing they were going for. 

There was literally about like 30 seconds to go. In fact I think they went 13 seconds over with the celebrations. Those hard outs might end up hurting them in the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

*shrugs* I thought the finish was just fine. I don't see what favor it was supposed to do Darby when the motherfucker was already on his way to stealing a win with his hands taped up behind his back and it took Hager sucker punching Darby to let Jericho apply the Walls when the dude couldn't tap out or get a rope break.

Darby looked strong in defeat. 

It came off as Darby giving up. They previously built him up as a man who has no quit, even on commentary they were putting that over. That is not good. I though the match was very good itself (I expected greatness) but that part of the finish was problematic in terms of establishing Darby as a man who can tolerate pain and is relentless. 

• Like 3

I liked that Scorpio Sky wasn't dressed to compete. The details of him grabbing the tape out of the bag to do his wrists and then wrestling in his jeans and sneakers. 

Why would he be in his ring gear, right? He wasn't scheduled to compete. Something I always hated about other promotions. These people walk around like Bart Simpson. 

• Like 5

Really solid show, loved it.  Some random-ass thoughts that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

• PAC cut his finger on the barbed wire and it was gushing pretty good.  That had to suck.
  • Ross and Schiavone needling Exaclibur for calling moves by their names is lame. 
  • I like how the announcers made sure to mention that, even though it's a streetfight, rope breaks are enforced.  It should have also been announced to the live crowd, who were chanting "it's a streetfight" at Edwards after she admonished Jericho for a late rope break.
  • I didn't like the actual match scheduling for the night -- if you're promoting a tag tournament and having two matches on the show from said tournament, they should be the only two on two tag matches on the show.  Having two other tag matches waters it down and makes the tournament matches less special.
  • Between last week's incessant tongue action and this week's constant screaming THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST into the camera, somebody please get Ortiz half a Valium.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It came off as Darby giving up. They previously built him up as a man who has no quit, even on commentary they were putting that over. That is not good. I though the match was very good itself (I expected greatness) but that part of the finish was problematic in terms of establishing Darby as a man who can tolerate pain and is relentless. 

I'll have to re-watch it, but it looked to me like Aubrey called the match and less like Allin giving up.

• Like 1