DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Marko Stunt showing up as Jungle Boycito was incredibly entertaining. Luchasaurus not being there could have killed that match but they found a perfect replacement, just the exact opposite size-wise. Bonus points to Fenix for the flip tope out of camera range at the end. What was up with JR getting all senile and rambling about "Jungle Jack" though?

JR’s been doing that for a long while now. I think he started doing it on Fyter Fest. Usually when announcers repeat things that many times, that means it’s not a gaf. They(The company) wants people to remember that name. They probably have plans to use it down the line when Jungle Boy goes solo.

Also Jack is Jungle Boys real name. Full name Jack Perry.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

This is the first show I have watched on TV and it is jarring how different the presentation is from WWE. I enjoyed the announce team and have no problem with JR calling matches. I love how they just go from match to match and keep the storytelling in the ring. I think it was a little too tag heavy but the show was so easy to watch. 

Wrestler observations...

Riho is so charismatic. The match sucked but i wanted to see her pull out the win. Britt Baker needs to be phased out as the face of the women's division asap. 

I enjoyed the Lucha Brothers match and Marko Stunt as a projectile is the perfect use for him. 

I really enjoyed the main event. Jericho doesn't rush things and wrestles differently from every one else on the show. Can't wait for him vs. Cody. Darby Allin is pretty awesome and loved the use of tape in the match. 

Overall thumbs up and i may have to go out of my way to watch again next week. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I made it here despite the downpour that hit the PA/NJ/NY area. Parking here sucks. It cost as much to park as my ticket cost. C'est la vie. I can't wait for the dark matches to start.

Hope you had a great time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Show was very all action and just about everything delivered, I dig it. Hot start with SCU with a hot crowd. Loved the finish in Riho/Britt, totally bought they were gonna do a title switch for a second but the finish was the best. I also thought Marko Stunt might detract from the tag match but he worked very well there. Guessing it sets up Lucha Bros/SCU as the finals. Moxley/Pac v. Omega/Page was a lot of fun and did a great job progessing the angles there. Main event was good stuff and put Darby over strong similar to the Cody match. I love how they continue to have a lot lined up for the following week, definitely a show to look forward to.

• Like 1

Weird how it only took two weeks for AEW to make a certifiable new star in Darby Allin, but it takes months for WWE (who have more television time and their own streaming platform).

Also I want Private Party vs Lucha Bros for the finals. Make it happen damnit!

• Like 2

Loved this show. That crowd was hot and it made everything even better. Shit man Scorpio Sky's shoe was more over than 90% of WWE's main roster lol.

Scorpio Sky was pissed at himself for not hitting that finish clean.I feel for him. He didn't even celebrate just put his head down in the buckle out of frustration. You could see Kazarian trying to snap him back into it and get him to celebrate instead of breaking character. Regardless of the finish, he came off like a star in that one.

The squash was solid. Santana & Ortiz have a much better look in AEW. They've always been great but the basketball shorts look was a turn off for me. Custom overalls that match is a way better look. Agree with who ever said Ortiz kinda ruined Jericho's promo with his ranting.

The women's match was rough. Britt used to be pretty solid. She fit in great at All In. My theory is her trying to shoe horn 1) the dentist shit and 2) trying to fit in Adam Cole spots to be cute for the smart mark pop is throwing her off her game. It's just too much going on in her head at once and needs to dial it back down a bit. Riho is over as hell and the crowd elevated that one. The women's division needs some guidance.

JR is dead set on willing Jungle Boy into a name change. It's not a mistake. He's def doing it on purpose. I sense it being a deal where Jungle Boy doesnt want to live off his dad's name & is trying to make his mark on his own, and JR just doesn't care and thinks name dropping his real name is going to help the kid out. Who knows, JR may be right. But man I did not expect that match to be as fun as it was. Good on The Lucha Bros for not eating them alive and making that a hell of a segment.

Omega, Mox, Hangman, & Pac are all in their primes and that tag match was also really fun. I didn't think Mox & Omega would gel as well as they did but man their ppv match is gonna be killer.

Main was perfect booking. Darby looks even better in defeat. I don't think they needed the Hager spot. Should have just had Jericho move & have him miss the coffin drop / lost clean. But I get what they were going for. Weird choice to have rope breaks in a street fight tho. The crowd even chanted its a street fight at one point. Pretty tame for a street fight but it told a great story and I liked it a lot.

They are 3 for 3 with me.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

Also I want Private Party vs Lucha Bros for the finals. Make it happen damnit!

They'd have to change the previously-released brackets to make it happen. Private Party and Lucha Brothers are scheduled to meet in the semis.

Since they teased Lucha Bros vs SCU on the first week of Dynamite, I've been assuming that's the final. Still seems like a good bet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

They'd have to change the previously-released brackets to make it happen. Private Party and Lucha Brothers are scheduled to meet in the semis.

Since they teased Lucha Bros vs SCU on the first week of Dynamite, I've been assuming that's the final. Still seems like a good bet.

Shit, really? I thought they were on opposite sides of the brackets. Well, fuck yeah. That's going to be a banger of a match for the semi-finals.

Everyone assumes Lucha Bros/SCU, but it does seem like they're pretty high on the Dark Order.

• Like 3

They missed a trick not making Jericho/Darby a ladder match. Imagine Darby hopping up the ladder with his hands tied, having Jericho beat, but unable to break the tape as he tries to snag the title down with his head. Anyway, the street fight was fantastic regardless. Agree that Hager wasn't really necessary, but it is what it is.

Britt's homecoming next week being advertised is interesting, perhaps a heel turn?

I'd hardly call it a memorable classic, but I thought Britt Baker vs. Riho was fine. Nothing really seemed all that off about it, and I thought the finish worked. Though I probably would've saved the match for Full Gear. I don't get why everyone is piling on Britt baker on Twitter. I've see far worse women's wrestling in WWE. 

• Like 4

This show fucking rules. Start the show with something big in CD getting his brains bashed in and the next thing you know they're making Scorp look like a certifiable star. Match was really good. When it originally looked like it was going to be Daniels and Kazarian I had hopes that Best Friends would win it. Speaking of stars, damn Dustin and Greg are the shit. They're on their way as well.

Cody vignette was good shit. You just don't see shit like this in WWE. This is the type of stuff they need to be doing.

I may not be the biggest Britt fan, hell, I don't like her at all, but her match with Riho was fine. Riho is so crazily over.

Mox/Pac vs Omega/Page was awesome. That's the stuff right there. Hard hitting, everyone looking crisp and going all out, and the finish makes perfect sense when you're booking in advance. LOVED the double birds and the double arm DDT. THIS is the Moxley that could have set WWE on fire.

I take back any bad thing I said about Marko. That match was fun as fuck, everyone came with their A game, and everyone looks better regardless of who won.

I'm not sure what more I can say about that main event. I've been so used to shitty WWE street fights for so long that this was a breath of fresh air. Gaffers tape is so fucking strong so seeing Darby get his hands taped like that let me know that there was no way he was finishing that match with his hands. I can't believe the bumps he was taking and the moves he was pulling off. Eat your heart out, Orange Cassidy. And that finish was perfectly fine and well done. Not everything can be a clean finish and your heater needs to do shit to give you an advantage. Somewhere down the line someone is going to be challenging for the title and next to the challenger winning the title, the second biggest pop will be when that person takes out Hager.

I fucking love this show. This is legitimately good TV. It's not even a good wrestling show. It's just a really well done TV show. This is everything I've wanted for years now.

Yo @Nice Guy Eddie we need our road report and non-spoilery thoughts on what to expect on AEW Dark!

• Like 6

And real quick, just getting back to the stars this company is making, here's all of the people they're making into stars if they weren't already:

• Riho
  • Scorpio Sky
  • Jungle Boy
  • Santana and Ortiz
  • Darby Allin
  • Private Party

You add those folks to people like Moxley, Omega, Jericho, Cody, Penta, Fenix, and more who are already established people.

I could list more, but there is just no "wasted motion" with this company. Even dudes like Best Friends or other people doing jobs are made to look good or made to look like they're worth a damn.

There was a criticism not that long ago that the roster was too thin, but you know what, there's a perfect amount of people in this company.

• Like 7

I'll post my thoughts after I've had a good night's sleep and have some downtime at work later. As for your non-spoilered Dark matches:

Joey Janela vs. Brandon Cutler

Nyla Rose vs. Leva Bates w/Peter Avalon

Private Party, Cima, T-Hawk vs. Young Bucks, Cody, Dustin w/ Brandi & MJF

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Based on the bubbly sign in the crowd, AEW has to run this thing until it dies. So make like Bubbly champagne foam wavers, and like...plushie champagne bottles that say "Bubbly" on them. Stuff like that. 

Pretty sure recent trademark filings by both Jericho and All Elite point to them actually having their own brand of champagne in the near future.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good god almighty that's a hell of a match.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll post my thoughts after I've had a good night's sleep and have some downtime at work later. As for your non-spoilered Dark matches:

Joey Janela vs. Brandon Cutler

Nyla Rose vs. Leva Bates w/Peter Avalon

Ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiit

• Like 2