DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/16/2019

Dolfan in NYC

On tap for tonight:

PHILADELPHIA STREET FIGHT FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Darby Allin

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Riho (c) vs. Britt Baker

"Hangman" Adam Page/Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley/PAC

AEW World Tag Team Titles Tournament First Round Matches:

Lucha Bros vs. Jurassic Express

SoCal Uncensored vs. Best Friends

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I made it here despite the downpour that hit the PA/NJ/NY area. Parking here sucks. It cost as much to park as my ticket cost. C'est la vie. I can't wait for the dark matches to start.

Have a good time, mate.

• Thanks 1

I apologize to Marko Stunt. A few months back I thought he shouldn’t have been associated with the Jurassic Express. I was wrong, he was great tonight filling in for Luchasaurus, and becoming the face in peril for his team.

Another great well paced episode tonight. Nothing dragged on this episode. 

• Like 3

I thought this week’s show was incredible and the best one yet. The crowd, the tag wrestling, the amazing Cody vignette. I also think the commentary team is rounding into form - they were great tonight. 

Awesome two hours! PPV looks stacked.

My only negatives are the lack of Luchasaurus and the continued issue about so many people using the same moves. Like Hangman, my dude, if you’re wearing cowboys boots don’t do standing SSP’s. 

Lots of dudes looked like stars tonight. Pentagon and Darby stood out to me.

• Like 3

So this was a bit of a sloppy episode. Still some good stuff but sloppy. They looked to have tightened up most of the production errors in the second episode but they reared their ugly head tonight with so many spots missed by the production team. Britt Baker needs to go away and, as the saying goes, git gud because she's nowhere near ready yet. That was ugly. Riho was moving as slow as she could and even then Britt was all over the place. Nice finish though. While Luchasaurus would've made that tag match more interesting, seeing Penta bully Marko Stunt was fun as hell. Fun match that probably went a bit too long given it was Marko Stunt but I get not wanting to dump on Jungle Boy by association. Opening tag was very fun and the crowd was molten hot for it. I wouldn't complain if somebody had that as their match of the night. Omega tag was really damn good while it lasted and set-up a beaut' of a match for next week. Mox and Pac shouldn't be getting along so the ending made sense. Main event was good but I was hoping for greatness. Still, they gave Darby lots of shine here and debuted the restrained moveset and tenacity on national TV.

Weakest of the three episodes when on paper it should've been the best. Nothing quite lived up to the levels I was expecting but the women's match was the only thing that was actively bad. Riho isn't perfect but that shit was almost all on Baker. Good thing we get to see her again next week. BRITTSBURGH! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty solid stuff tonight and they finally decided to not overbook the main event finish.  The women's match started pretty rough and I really don't buy Baker as a babyface at all.  I loved how they managed to protect Pac and still have him eat the cover.  The main finish was a little sleazy but I think going into AEW, I pictured them just having all clean finishes, etc. and that just isn't very realistic.  Darby looked like a million bucks, even though he lost, which is what the WWE should've been doing in those AJ/Cedric matches.  Oh yea, and I forgot that awesome Cody vignette.  I can't wait to see it live next week too, should be fun.

Edited by notoriusvig

Yeah, everything felt right. Even finding the time for a Proud n Powerful squash match, taking us to six matches in the show, it didn't feel like anything was shorter than it should have been. Penta seemed to really love having a tiny guy to toss around, as well. Watching on Fite, they go surprisingly hard during the breaks as well. During commercial breaks between matches, every now and then JR forgets he's not on break everywhere and says things like "Remember these guys are in the Inner Circle, we've got to get that phrase over" or "Do you want to announce the tags and I'll do Pac and Moxley?"

If they're working the stinger (ref did throw up the 'X' so...?) then that might come back to bite them when somebody really gets injured. Personally I would've made another call if it's fake. 

Marko Stunt showing up as Jungle Boycito was incredibly entertaining. Luchasaurus not being there could have killed that match but they found a perfect replacement, just the exact opposite size-wise. Bonus points to Fenix for the flip tope out of camera range at the end. What was up with JR getting all senile and rambling about "Jungle Jack" though?

Britt's finish should be illegal. That's a joint hold; this is pro wrestling, not catch wrestling. 

The last tag and the main were pretty good. Omega and Mox is gonna be ga-ga. Darby looked great fighting with no hands and doing that dive makes him certifiable. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Yeah, all of the Cody vignettes are terrific. He is the biggest star in the company other than Jericho. I don't think it's time to pivot away from Jericho yet, but it's also not time for the MJeff turn either. I'm intrigued.

Did Nick Mondo direct the Cody stuff? It definitely felt similar to the other Cody vignette in the lead up to the Spears match. 

Moxley/PAC vs. Hangman/Omega was a lot of fun.

I get the sense Moxley is just a rogue madman who wants big fights, and he just wants a great big battle with Omega and is just provoking him to get a higher level of violence and brutality. And he doesn't want any interlopers getting in the way. 

They do a good job of pacing these shows. They seem to go by really fast.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

That was a really fun show. The wife watched it with me. She watched for twenty minutes and made this keen observation; "there's a lot less stupid shit on this show than WWE." I am inclined to agree. Namely, a lot less Seth Rollins. Moxley is awesome. PAC is incredible. The wife dug Jurassic Express and Scorpio Sky.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

you could make a reasonable argument that having having substitutions for both face (or de facto face? maybe Taylor/Trent aren't heels?) teams was sorta redundant (although obviously only one of the substitutions was voluntary).

Scorpio Sky rocked the first match so I won't complain that he was in that one.

I wonder who the shortest person to work with Penta/Fenix in Mexico was.. at least in comparison to Marko Stunt.

I think the entire Riddle/Bronson Reed match took place during the intros for Pac/Moxley vs Page/Omega.

• Like 1

Does anybody else think that Santana has the potential to the guy? He’s got the look, he’s got natural charisma, he’s Latino, and he’s very talented in the ring. I’m not saying split Ortiz & Santana up now, but I would start sketching up gear, and getting music prepared for him. When the time is right, he should be this companies future.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, just drew said:

That was a really fun show. The wife watched it with me. She watched for twenty minutes and made this keen observation; "there's a lot less stupid shit on this show than WWE." I am inclined to agree. Namely, a lot less Seth Rollins. Moxley is awesome. PAC is incredible. The wife dug Jurassic Express and Scorpio Sky.

Yes. It's a show based more around logic and a minimum of hokey, cringeworthy BS. That's why I prefer this show. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Yes. It's a show based more around logic and a minimum of hokey, cringeworthy BS. That's why I prefer this show. 

I thought the announcers did a good job of that tonight. Ross has his usual, understandable errors but the way the narration was grounded in logic was on point by all three.

• Like 2