DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 6: Reyes vs. Weidman (10/18/2019) - Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She is probably going to be against Alexis Davis, Lauren Murphy, Mayra Bueno Silva, Jennifer Maia, and Veronica Macedo. That's just the ones off the top of my head. Just because she is ranked doesn't mean every fight has to be against another ranked person or a higher ranked person.

I agree, but she's not just beating her opponents, she's smashing them.  Her aggression and physical strength is going to be a huge advantage over most of this shallow ass division.  If she keeps running through her opponents she's going to be given a big fight before too long.  There isn't enough talent in the division for them to hold her back too much longer, they're going to need contenders.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Also, why is this card on a Friday?

They haven't had a TV card in two months and college football is all day on Saturday on ESPN platforms. The next one (and last one for the year) for the year is in December. 

Top Rank is doing their LHW title unification tonight on ESPN as well.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I agree, but she's not just beating her opponents, she's smashing them.  Her aggression and physical strength is going to be a huge advantage over most of this shallow ass division.  If she keeps running through her opponents she's going to be given a big fight before too long.  There isn't enough talent in the division for them to hold her back too much longer, they're going to need contenders.

She BARELY got past JJ Aldrich. Robertson was a favorable style matchup. If she didn't get the fight down to the ground, she was going to get fucked up. And that's what happened.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She BARELY got past JJ Aldrich. Robertson was a favorable style matchup. If she didn't get the fight down to the ground, she was going to get fucked up. And that's what happened.

That's not how I remember that fight, but of course it's blacked out on Fight Pass.  I honestly don't think she's going to have the time she's going to need before she's fighting for a title.  She wants it, the UFC is putting her name out there as a future champ, and there isn't nearly enough talent in her division.  

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hardy circling away from power is impressive. It's against a guy he has a huge reach advantage but that's promising. Good feints. 

The kind of athlete you need to be to be an All-Pro as a pass rusher in the NFL is pretty much unprecedented in the UFC.  He has all the potential in the world...but you know everything else. 

An inhaler! Aahahaha, oh shit, that's unreal. Despite that, Hardy looked about 100x more polished than he has previously but probably too passive. Looked a little off balance with those kicks sometimes but overall a good wrinkle to add to his game. They say he's dedicated and it certainly shows. 

• Like 1

After watching that fight, I'd like to give some sort of analysis about Ben Sosoli's' fighting skills, but the first that comes to mind is, "he needs to go find Kensuke Sasaki's barber."  If you're going to have a mullet, you might as well have a fresh mullet.

giphy.gif

Everything I wanted if not for two more rounds. I could watch Yair Rodriguez fight for days. What a beauty. Stephens is a perfect foil for him. Fuck yeah, baby!

edit: Those people booing need to get fucked immediately. How dare they.

Edited by Oyaji

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

If judges give Stephens that second round there is no justice.

If Yair Rodriguez had any idea how to pick a shot, and not just throw every strike he knows blindly, he would have finished him.  I honestly don't know if Stephens could have got up after that kick.  If he would have backed up and let the fight get back on the feet, I think the fight was over.

Those king kong hammerfists were hilarious. Not Yair's finest moment. I think he just tried to overwhelm to get the stoppage because he knew that unless he got KO'd he had it. You're right though, he should've picked his shots a bit more judiciously. 

But his wife dancing makes it so good, though. I really fuckin' loved that song as a kid but it being on commercials and used in corny situations, yeah...

Weidman is super shot and needs to hang 'em up. That chin ain't coming back, especially against even bigger dudes.

I don't think it's just his chin. That left hand that dropped him was wicked. Weidman is super hittable. Besides the Jacare fight, he has shown himself to be susceptible to big power shots. If you're moving up a weight class and facing a much bigger fighter (and a southpaw at that), the last thing you wanna do is come in on him in a straight line. Reyes stepped to the side beautifully and just piledrove his fist into Weidman's face. You can't teach a fighter to do it any better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

An inhaler! Aahahaha, oh shit, that's unreal. Despite that, Hardy looked about 100x more polished than he has previously but probably too passive. Looked a little off balance with those kicks sometimes but overall a good wrinkle to add to his game. They say he's dedicated and it certainly shows. 

Din Thomas has been in MMA before the unified rules existed and has cornered countless fighters since he retired as an active fighter. He somehow doesn't know you cannot use an inhaler in the corner. To make it worse, NOBODY from the commission intervened. Somebody (who was later deemed not to have the authority or w/e that means) okays it. Then, they let it go to the judges. Are we sure the UFC ran in Massachusetts and not in like Latvia or Moldova? You would never think UFC runs there semi regularly/annually.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

What an entertaining card. Lauzon's nasty Reverse Nelson, the Yair Stephens fight was gold, Reyes with the fadeaway, and Cormier and Cruz bugging out over that inhaler, this show nearly had it all.

Maycee always talked about wanting to break Jon Jones' record for youngest UFC champ. I imagine if she keeps up, she'll at least be given the chance to try.

Sad to see Weidman fall again. This time was expected, but was always one of my favs and now the losses/knockouts are piling up.

• Like 1