DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 6: Reyes vs. Weidman (10/18/2019) - Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

EGzA7MFXUAIYgEC.jpeg?1571372731

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 6: Reyes vs. Weidman 
October 18, 2019
Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Dominick Reyes (203) vs. Chris Weidman (204) - Reyes, KO (punches), R1 (1:43)
Yair Rodríguez (145) vs. Jeremy Stephens (145.5) - Rodríguez, DEC (unanimous)
Greg Hardy (264.5) vs. Ben Sosoli (264) - No Contest (Result Overturned)
Joe Lauzon (153) vs. Jonathan Pearce (154.5) - Lauzon, TKO (punches), R1 (1:33)
Maycee Barber (126) vs. Gillian Robertson (126) - Barber, TKO (strikes), R1 (3:04)
Deron Winn (188.5)** vs. Darren Stewart (185) - Stewart, DEC (split)

ESPN2 Preliminary Card:
Charles Rosa (144) vs. Manny Bermudez (148)* - Rosa, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:46)
Molly McCann (125) vs. Diana Belbiţă (125) - McCann, DEC (unanimous)
Kyle Bochniak (145) vs. Sean Woodson (144.5) - Woodson, DEC (unanimous)
Randy Costa (134) vs. Boston Salmon (135.5) - Costa, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:15)
Court McGee (170) vs. Sean Brady (167.5) - Brady, DEC (unanimous)
Brendan Allen (185) vs. Kevin Holland (183.5) - Allen, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:38)
Daniel Spitz (240) vs. Tanner Boser (247.5) - Boser, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Charles Rosa
Performance of the Night: Dominick Reyes
Fight of the Night: Yair Rodríguez vs. Jeremy Stephens 

Attendance: 12,066
Gate$1,124,765
Rating: 805,000 viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Zabit Magomedsharipov vs. Calvin Kattar - Bout Moved to Another Card
Eric Spicely vs. Brendan Allen - Injury to Spicely

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

God.  On paper, Yair Rodríguez vs. Jeremy Stephens Part 2 should be a symphony of violence with chips on shoulders following the eye poke No Contest.

Shit may very well go down during the ceremonial weigh-in tomorrow.

Edited by J.T.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one surprised that Joe Lauzon is still fighting?  I thought he retired.

If he doesn't win this one, this will likely be it. He is 3-7 in the last 5 years and hasn't won a fight since January 2017 (the Yair Rodriguez vs. BJ Penn card).

The stare down between Stephens and Rodriguez was everything I hoped it would be.

No nose to nose theatrics or anything, but White's "Please, God.  Don't let this shit go down right here." look of apprehension and the amount of space he kept between the two fighters sold it for me.  

White didn't let them get close enough even attempt to shake hands.... not that they would've..

Dana publicly acknowledging that those men probably want to kill each other legit was fucking golden.  

I am officially pumped for that fight and I am also happy to see that Jeremy and Yair made weight unlike some other dudes on this card.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I don't get Maycee Barber's appeal. She looks pretty slow and sloppy (chin right on a platter) for somebody who is supposed to be a bright prospect. If she tries this shit against somebody half decent she's going to get destroyed.

edit: lol, that ending spree of hooks was early UFC shit.

double edit: oh, that's why. That division is fucking hollow as shit and there are like 2 or 3 decent fighters and one great one. So yeah, THE FUTURE! ?

Edited by Oyaji

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I don't get Maycee Barber's appeal. She looks pretty slow and sloppy (chin right on a platter) for somebody who is supposed to be a bright prospect. If she tries this shit against somebody half decent she's going to get destroyed.

edit: lol, that ending spree of hooks was early UFC shit.

I think the biggest plus she has as a fighter is that she seems to be more physically gifted than anyone else in either strawweight or featherweight.  I don't know how she made 115, but has physically overpowered everyone she's fought so far, by a wide margin.  

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They're going bring up Maycee Barber as slow as possible. I'm not really all that worried about how she looks right now.

Yeah, I don't know.  She's probably going to be in the top 10 after this fight, and there isn't exactly a bunch of world beaters between her and the Shevchenko.  Paige Van Zant is probably a logical next fight, but after that, they're going to have to give her someone in the top 5 or so just because there aren't going to be many people left.  I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up with a title shot by the end of next year if she's healthy and fighting regularly.

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, that's fair. They should protect the hell out of her and Adrea Lee because that's about all that division has beyond Shevchenko and Maycee is years away from her hopefully.

I would say Andrea Lee and Viviane Araujo are the best prospects (although Andrea is probably no longer a prospect seeing as she just faced someone who could fight Valentina next). Molly McCann can go either way but she is super tough FWIW. Maycee Barber is going to be given all the chance in the world to get better. I think they probably see her a year and half away from doing something significant.

Just now, supremebve said:

Yeah, I don't know.  She's probably going to be in the top 10 after this fight, and there isn't exactly a bunch of world beaters between her and the Shevchenko.  Paige Van Zant is probably a logical next fight, but after that, they're going to have to give her someone in the top 5 or so just because there aren't going to be many people left.  I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up with a title shot by the end of next year if she's healthy and fighting regularly.

She is probably going to be against Alexis Davis, Lauren Murphy, Mayra Bueno Silva, Jennifer Maia, and Veronica Macedo. That's just the ones off the top of my head. Just because she is ranked doesn't mean every fight has to be against another ranked person or a higher ranked person.