DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 *contains King of Pro-Wrestling 2019 SPOILERS*

The Natural

They fuckin' got me with the V-Trigger, guys. ?

Ibushi losing effectively after the missed Phoenix Splash calls back to Omega distracting him vs. AJ and Omega recently losing after missing the Phoenix Splash vs. Moxley. Poetic. Awesome. That match recovered like a motherfucker after an awkward opening 15 or 20. Ibushi went super saiyan there but it still wasn't enough with Okada breaking out something new to survive. Incredible finishing stretch that I haven't seen since Omega/Tanahashi and so many of Kenny's big NJPW matches with the call backs, disappointment, and all of the emotions. What a fucking spectacular show once we hit Mox/Archer. 

• Like 4

The world needs a Golden Lovers reunion in 2020.

edit: i was originally hoping they would meet as champions but now they are losers. Waaaaaaaaaah.

Edited by Oyaji

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Kazuchika Okada in trunks for the first time rather than usual short tights, his classic look. Okada debuted his long pants at Wrestle Kingdom 12.

The white boots were a new thing too, no? Don't think I've ever seen him in those.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

The white boots were a new thing too, no? Don't think I've ever seen him in those.

Correct, my friend. Okada wears one boot colour and the other another colour or both in the same colour. White's new.

Edited by The Natural

Really not sure what my MOTN was. Okada/Ibushi really clicked into higher gear in the second half, but to me Ospreay/Hiromu and White/Naito where great from start to finish. And people complaining about White's control segments will probably never get old.

Also, it looks like early prediction of 40k tickets was more or less correct, KK during the show said that they had 40008 fans in the building.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Really not sure what my MOTN was. Okada/Ibushi really clicked into higher gear in the second half, but to me Ospreay/Hiromu and White/Naito where great from start to finish. And people complaining about White's control segments will probably never get old.

Also, it looks like early prediction of 40k tickets was more or less correct, KK during the show said that they had 40008 fans in the building.

Okada/Ibushi was my MOTN narrowly over Ospreay/Hiromu.

That was just tremendous. Sheer insanity from Archer vs Mox onward. 

Great nostalgia trip with the Liger match, too.

Between this and the excellent 1/1 AEW show, the year in pro wrestling is off to a rip-roaring start!

Really looking forward to Naito vs Okada. How much do those guys have left after what they went through tonight?

Hiromu vs Ospreay was the platonic ideal of a 2020s Jr Hwt match. Set the template for the coming decade.

Some of the nearfalls tonight really had me going. I was genuinely pulling for Hiromu, and for Naito. That's kind of rare for me, to be on tenterhooks w/r/t who wins and who loses.

• Like 3

Am I the only one who had White/Naito as MOTN?  That is probably now in my top 5 favorite matches of all-time, just insane how good those two were together.  Okada/Ibushi was only 3rd best match of the night, and that was on par with Tana/Omega from last year.  Just insane.

• Like 3

Four days in and we already have a match of the decade candidate. It's Ospreay vs. Hiromu BTW.

Am I the only one who had White/Naito as MOTN?  That is probably now in my top 5 favorite matches of all-time, just insane how good those two were together.  Okada/Ibushi was only 3rd best match of the night, and that was on par with Tana/Omega from last year.  Just insane.

To be frank, I enjoyed White/Naito more than the main event. They told a good story. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Naito sold the knee so well, and so consistently, that I am actually a little worried that he's legitimately hurt.

Hiromu also had me worried with his neck selling.

And when Ibushi teed off on Okada after no-selling his offence around the half-way mark of their fight, I felt like he was handing out receipts for something that happened earlier. He kind of freaked me out.

It reminded me of that MiSu vs Goto match from 2 years ago, in that I remain convinced that Suzuki legit choked him out a little.

Never thought I'd accuse Ibushi of being too stiff with his striking!

• Like 1

The Liger tag had some fun moments and I enjoyed how over Fujinami was. and Sasuke generally was wonderful. Felt short and Taguchi getting the win felt like the least desirable outcome to me. Really should have had Kanemoto in his spot. I assume he has burnt his bridge there?

Moxley vs Archer was a fine if unspectacular plunder brawl. They hit each other hard and did enough spots but it never became anything memorable. The bag spot was a novel idea but Moxley surviving it felt a bit unrealistic. Look forward to Moxley vs Juice III.

Ospreay vs Hiromu had some good gymnastics routines but was a pretty mediocre wrestling match. It got better towards the end of course but still did nothing for me. Hiromu's new finisher looks appropriately contrived.

Naito vs White had a couple good sections but taken overall was pretty ass. White picking apart a limb: exciting. White doing low-end heel antics and relying on Gedo interference and ref bumps: tedious. Naito also didn't bother to sell the leg injury after the big submission escape and the Destino out of nowhere felt really easy after how much he was struggling to hit it earlier.

I enjoyed Okada vs Ibushi towards the end but it's a shame it took us nearly 40 minutes to get there when the first half was typical all filler. Very little in the way of any story-telling until the final third and most of the action was pretty by the numbers until then. If they could shake the length = epic mindset and trim matches like this down to ~20-25 minutes we'd get a much more focused match. It was interesting they played it as Ibushi as the guy who seemed destined to win and Okada had to make the big comeback to win and play spoiler.

• Haha 1

Ospreay v Hiromu was incredible, I was so emotionally invested in it that I was burnt out after so I'll have to re-watch the following matches again. 

People around me were complaining so much about the length of Jay's control segment though, maybe their complaining helped take me out of the match so a re-watch is definitely needed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alstein said:

I'm on board with White/Naito as match of the night too. I've never been a huge White fan but his specific offense to the knee here worked great, and Naito's efforts to proactively counter the Gedo-ness of it all and trick White were terrific. 

The main has the same issues as most of the Okada matches people call classics do to me, wildly entertaining second half, but I can only recommend a match that kinda bored me for 15-20 minutes so highly. The part where Kota smacked the hell out of Okada was amazing.

Yo, have I missed something not paying attention to NJPW that much the last few months, does Ibushi have a cocaine gimmick now, what was that?

• Like 1