DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 *contains King of Pro-Wrestling 2019 SPOILERS*

The Natural

I'm so happy that Naito won. I'm one of those people who still thinks he should have won in 2018, and I do think this was anticlimactic by comparison. But I'm still really glad it happened. I'm not very keen on the KENTA thing afterward, especially since he lost earlier in the night, but I'm not too bothered by it either.

I remember a common sentiment after Okada won in '18 was that it was all part of a longer-term story for Naito. The fact that he went for the Stardust Press and missed was supposed to be evidence that he still needed to escape his past as the Stardust Genius and embrace being tranquilo or whatever. So I enjoyed the fact that his character didn't seem to change at all between WK12 and WK14, and he hit the Stardust Press en route to victory.

• Like 3

One thing you have to give them credit for: after five hours that night, and almost five and a half the night before, the crowd was still absolutely nuclear for the finishing stretch. No evidence of burnout.

• Like 3

The odd cross-promotional match is fine (which they kinda are doing unofficially anyway) but I think AEW need at least a year to flesh things out and establish their own identity before baking NJPW into the pie. Once Ospreay is making strides at heavyweight I can't think of a more marquee match-up than Omega/Ospreay.

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Your vendetta against Becky is kinda weird man.

Saying the WrestleMania main event and the aftermath is a fail is not a vendetta. This is how to book a double champion angle. Please tell me what's "weird" about it or do you just like to say things,  I'm just going to assume this was some tired attempt at trolling. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

My man your catty stance on Becky has reared it's head in several threads. Calling her a ''inferior'' worker and name-dropping her here. At least Becky's coronation wasn't squandered with a garbage angle to end the biggest show of the year. I clearly have you caught in a web with my observation. But anyway, do you fam!

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Burnout is a myth.  Fans get burnt out because they aren't that invested.   Last note on the weekend:  Tetsuya Two Belts >  Becky Two Belts. 

I disagree. I've been at shows that go too long or buildings that are too hot in the summer and have been part of and witnessed many a burned out crowds. If you listen to past 1/4 main events and the 1/5 main event, the crowd wasn't as hot as they usually are.

I don't think Becky is necessarily inferior, her booking on the other hand...

And I'm happy Naito finally had his moment, but yeah, I'd agree it should've happened two years ago. But it happened. It was an epic match, and it did finally pay off at least. Honestly though, this year, I was sort of wanting Ibushi to get it instead. He was my emotional favorite. 

Edited by TheVileOne

22 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

My man your catty stance on Becky has reared it's head in several threads. Calling her a ''inferior'' worker and name-dropping her here. 

Clearly you are a Becky fan and bothered so I removed the last sentence because I don't think you understand what you are even trying to say.  As for this portion,  she got name dropped because they ran two similar angles at their respective biggest shows of the year and Naito vs. White and Naito vs. Okada came off a hell of a lot better than Becky/Charlotte/Ronda.   Naito's run looks more promising.  If that hurts you,  so be it. 

Edit:  By the way,  I remember now what this guy is talking about.  I said the title matches for Royal Rumble are both designed for generational talents to put over their inferior opponents.  Meaning Asuka and Daniel Bryan.  Yes,  Daniel Bryan is better than Bray by a mile and yes Asuka is better than Becky by a wide margin. If you think Becky is better than Asuka we won't agree on much..  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

So, they did 40,000 and then a day later did 30,000. 

I wonder, instead of running two nights for WK, might it be feasible to move Dominion from the Osaka Jo Hall to the Kyocera Dome Osaka? Obviously not this year, they've already announced it, but putting the second biggest show of the year in a Dome, half way to the next WK, and building a huge show there... Maybe they could do two 40,000 crowds.

(Although I guess baseball season would limit their scheduling options for June)

Edited by Brian Fowler

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I disagree. I've been at shows that go too long or buildings that are too hot in the summer and have been part of and witnessed many a burned out crowds. If you listen to past 1/4 main events and the 1/5 main event, the crowd wasn't as hot as they usually are.

Yeah I call bullshit too. Try going to all three nights of a BOLA in the shitty no AC Reseda venue and tell me burn out is a myth.

• Like 1

For anyone in Japan trying to have the longest possible holiday, the 4th and 5th are the "U-turn" days when everyone is coming back home and traveling and traffic are a major pain, especially to Tokyo. So there might have been people who live out of Tokyo on the 4th who left on the 5th and people coming back in to Tokyo who wouldn't be there in time for a show that started in the morning/early afternoon.

Edited by lostinube
  • Like 1

The Stardom match is really a total dark match? That sucks. I wanted to see what all the fuss with Hana Kimura from the midnight chokers was about.

As much as I miss the hardcore jacket (Negative Approach FTW!) Hiromu coming out to the ring dressed like it was right after his gig as Master of Ceremonies at the Tokyo New Year's Pride Parade is awesome. Will looks to have fixed his grill too. Unfortunately the match is basically Cirque du Soleil with thigh slaps. The part where Will "hits" a missile dropkick with big-ass thigh slap and Hiromu sells it like a gunshot is really sad. Finisher looks like an Emerald Frosion to me, I thought somebody said it was complicated.   

Boy, Jay White sure has gotten good at this whole pro wrestling thing. His mannerisms are almost Rick Rude level with the posing and the posturing. Hiding his face when about to be struck seems so simple but it's perfect heel schtick. Unlike the last match this has a lot of legwork before the blowoff to go into finisher mode. The backwards figure four was especially nasty. Lots of spitting in this match, and like the previous one with the Shooting Star someone decides to do a tribute to Liger, this time with the kappo kick from Naito. Gedo is effective as a heat magnet and deserves the kick in the nuts he finally gets. I had no problem with the length or anything, even Red Shoes only bothered me once by refusing to count a pin, dude quit being the face version of Tirantes already. 

After that I do have to take a break. Those of you who sat through the whole next hour and 40 minutes including all the pageantry after that pinfall deserve a medal or something.

• Like 1