DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 *contains King of Pro-Wrestling 2019 SPOILERS*

The Natural

Extremely happy with the Naito win and also thought post match was terrible and sucked the joy out of the moment in the wrong way. I skipped Jericho/Tana as I have zero use for Jericho and am kind of dreading any AEW involvement, but it is what it is.

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Okay so yeah the main event culmination of the two nights was great stuff.   I loved Okada heeling with the crowd some attacking the knee during the finishing sequence. Naito was insane this weekend.  Naito deserves this.   Poor Kota though. 

That was one of my favourite moments. Okada having enough of Naito spitting in his face drove Naito's knee into the canvas to boos.

• Like 1

Interesting that they didn't commit one way or the other officially regarding next year and whether or not they run one or two dome shows. This setup was announced at last year's dome show but they didn't go beyond the triple sumo hall announcement for October's G1 (yuck. First time I'll have to follow during work). 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Interesting that they didn't commit one way or the other officially regarding next year and whether or not they run one or two dome shows. 

I think they can only realistically run a Double Dome when 1/4 lands on a Friday or Saturday.

• Like 1

Something definitely seems to be percolating between NJPW and AEW, but I imagine we’re still a ways off from seeing anything significant on screen.  For the time being, I’m curious to see what else they have planned with Jericho.  Have to believe they wouldn’t job Tanahashi to him (clean!) at WK if they weren’t building to something else.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

When people talk about a potential aew angle, what are they envisioning?  It would be an invasion right? So that would mean the elite coming in as heels. I don’t think that’s good for anyone. It will be nice if they can work out a talent exchange, but the aew title was a promotional tactic for the match that already happened. There wouldn’t have been any stakes other than calling it a battle of legends, so they came up with a pretty good idea to up the ante. 

30 minutes ago, matt925 said:

When people talk about a potential aew angle, what are they envisioning?  It would be an invasion right? So that would mean the elite coming in as heels. I don’t think that’s good for anyone. It will be nice if they can work out a talent exchange, but the aew title was a promotional tactic for the match that already happened. There wouldn’t have been any stakes other than calling it a battle of legends, so they came up with a pretty good idea to up the ante. 

Hypothetically, it would make the most sense to book it like the Hart Foundation in 97 or the ROH/CZW feud:  the promotions are faces at home and heels on the road.  In Japan, AEW are the disloyal foreigners who are returning to pillage and plunder; in America, NJPW are the colonialists who think they’re going to take over and treat AEW like their own private fiefdom like ROH or RevPro.

You’d have to be careful which NJPW guys you sent over though, as most of them would have a hard time getting booed in America.  Maybe just send Jay and the Shitty Bullet Club.  Which would actually align with how New Japan prefers to book their American stuff, anyway.

I don’t think an invasion is really the way to go, though.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Dammit I had a whole thing written out but kept reading the rest of the thread and it didn't save. ANYWAY. 

A benefactor on here has meant I can watch WK so I am -- selectively. The old man tag was fun, Sasuke getting kicked in the face was very Sasuke of him, I'm surprised he didn't slide off the stage headfirst to boot. No blood in the Texas death match until the very end was weird. Archer's arm was pouring plus on the replay you can see his crotch and thighs smashing the table right over the legs. OUCH. Maffew is gonna have a field day with those knees in the clench though Mox did hit a pretty good Busaiku. My favorite part was the young boys getting wrecked. Daniel Bryan looking dude hit Mox right in the face. If I were them and Archer was coming out I'd hide on the other side of the rail. 

More to come! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

I just want a talent exchange. Working with New Japan would offer a ton of fresh matches for AEW and their small (for now) roster. It would certainly help New Japan's tag division with their lack of depth. I would love to see El Phantasmo and Taiji Ishimori in AEW. 

...and of course, an angle with Kenny and Kota

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

While Great Muta was my first experience seeing a Japanese worker it was Liger who opened the door to Puroresu for me in the 90s when I saw him in WCW and soon after I started actively seeking out New Japan tapes. This was a gateway to a whole world of amazing wrestling and of course following Liger through his astounding career. I was very privileged to see Liger live in ROH in 2004. It was a mark out moment from the second his theme hit til the end of the match. Legend honestly doesn't seem like big enough a word for a man who inspired generations of wrestlers and influenced so many. In the end all I can say is Arigato...Thank You Liger.

• Like 3