DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 *contains King of Pro-Wrestling 2019 SPOILERS*

The Natural

MAIN EVENT SPOILER FOLLOWS... 

ENgp22nXUAEouA8?format=png&name=900x900

Tetsuya Naito beats Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom having lost to Okada in 2014 and 2018 at Wrestle Kingdom. Naito is now the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champion. Liked the callbacks to those. Stardust Press!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

It was always going to be tough for night 2 to live up to night 1 but it really struggled and I wasn't emotionally invested in any of the matches. Even Liger's retirement match felt flat to me. Main event was pretty great tho and the callbacks were nice even if the finishing sequence was a little too similar to last night's main event with a twist. Ending was atrocious and this is basically NJPW's version of giving the post-Mania champ Kane. 

I really hope they don't do two nights at the dome without something very different from this year's set-up and something way more intriguing for night two than one match. 

Edited by Oyaji

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

Really really liked Tanahashi/Jericho. Their styles complimented each other perfectly. The main event successfully wrapped up a years-long story, and even if the very end of the show was stupid I'll take it. I'm fucking exhausted.

I agree with that.

So in two years he learned... NOTHING, hah. 

edit: another thing! Yet one more name for Goto to beat at WK but his fallen foe goes onto bigger and better things. Hirooki Goto, human springboard to success. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

WWE would have been castigated if they ran the same closing angle. Imagine Bryan winning the title at Mania and the Miz ruining his moment, or hell, anyone. Tone deaf. New Year's Dash exists for a reason.

Jay White was the king of the weekend. I think Ibushi/White was my favorite match of both nights. It'a shame the audio screwed up half of the Jericho/Tana match because the work was great. Those two have crisp chemistry.

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick

7 minutes ago, sevendaughters said:

I had an eye infection and a dental issue all topped off with Mrs Sevendaughters' flatmate disconnecting the Internet after the power up Destino attempt. Safe to say I wasn't quite as involved as I'd hoped and will pick it up later in the week (funeral and dentist tomorrow). 

Oof, you've had a mare. Best wishes for tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

WWE would have been castigated if they ran the same closing angle. Imagine Bryan winning the title at Mania and the Miz ruining his moment, or hell, anyone. Tone deaf. New Year's Dash exists for a reason.

Jay White was the king of the weekend. I think Ibushi/White was my favorite match of both nights. It'a shame the audio screwed up half of the Jericho/Tana match because the work was great. Those two have crisp chemistry.

Yeah, that ending wasn't the time. Kota Ibushi or Kazuchika Okada is Jay White's best opponent. Probably enjoyed Jericho/Tanahashi more than any of Jericho's NJPW since his 2018 return. The first match with Tetsuya Naito also stood out.

Well thats that. Overall I enjoyed whole thing, but I hope that they never do double dome again. When it was initially announced I thought how bad can it be, after all I have no problems with 3 G1 shows in a row. Well turns out that 1 dome show is like 2 G1s and it was just too much for me in the end, didn't even pay attention to Tana/Jericho. I guess I'm getting too old for this shit.

• Like 1

So happy for Naito. When it didn't happen 2 years ago I didn't think it would happen at all, or that they would miss the boat while riding a dominant Okada into the Olympics.

Jay White could be anything. That guy just gets it. Amazing how he performs at his age.

What does Tana do next? I thought for sure he was winning tonight to send the AEW/NJPW partnership talk into hyperdrive.

Even with night 2 being emotionally drained it was still awesome. Hoping they improve the setup going forward.

If WWE ever go to a 2 night WrestleMania the layout is going to be critical.

Edited by L_W_P

Eh, not necessarily. I don’t think everything hinged on Tanahashi winning. If there wasn’t something in place, New Japan itself wouldn’t have mentioned it (or allowed their top title to appear on their biggest show of the year). 

But, me personally, I don’t really care if this happens, because I’m not super into New Japan and don’t really want to see people like Okada or Naito (whom I just don’t get the appeal of) on Dynamite or whatever.

Maybe they ran the angle at the end because they have something AEW related in the cannon for New Year's Dash that's going to steal the headlines? I know Jericho won, but I doubt they would dangle the bait so blatantly only to take it away without more prolonged plans between them. Having an outsider brandishing a foreign companies belt, win, and then go away again is the kinda shit that would create conflict. There has to be something else. Maybe Tony Khan hits Gedo with a stunner or something

Jericho did say in post match he wants someone to open the forbidden portal.

NJPW/AEW rivalry would be money.  Obviously, it would be a partnership, but the two companies should have storyline bad blood.  AEW folks coming into NJPW should be invaders mostly, and NJPW should primarily send their heels into AEW.

If Tana did enter AEW, I'd want him to go after Omega and the Elite , and "heal" Page.  I suspect AEW fans might end up cheering Tana and booing Omega if that happens though.

Another thing was no announcement of co-promoted shows with ROH. I get that New Japan will probably just run their own shows in the US now without needing the help/branding of ROH, but it's still pretty telling. Nothing about Global Wars or Honor Rising. Then you've got the AEW title and talk of the promotion in the build-up and at the actual match. Something is going on beyond "hey here's Jericho with the title - okay, he won, now it's over". His post match comments after WrestleKingdom usually foreshadow what's to come, yeah? I know after the Omega match, he said he was leaving Japan and never coming back... then he was there the next night, attacking Naito.

I don't really see much of anything that could make AEW fans boo Omega (or the Bucks). I mean they hardly boo MJF as it is, unless he just really rips the crowd a new one, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

Either way - I'm excited for Monday night when I can watch all three shows (or select matches, anyway). Working the weekend night shift sucks. It's my New Year's resolution to follow New Japan and Stardom more this year.

Edited by Casey

Whoa whoa whoa. Zero-1 still uses the AWA title for their main belt.

Anyway, I just finished everything and successfully avoided any spoilers. I was never really invested in whether or not the main was going to surpass Night 1, I only cared about Naito winning and damn Gedo kept me in suspense until Okada started going for the knee again towards the end.

KENTA crashing the end made me laugh. The Japanese announcers also played up how Naito didn't get to have his LIJ celebration at the Tokyo Dome yet again.