DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 *contains King of Pro-Wrestling 2019 SPOILERS*

The Natural

The other potential appeal you have to keep in mind re: an Okada/White final is that they want White to be their big English-speaking star for their Western expansion, taking Kenny’s place.  Well, Kenny’s springboard to mega stardom was a WK main event against Okada.  Wouldn’t put it past them to try to capture that magic again.

Plus, there’s also the traditional idea that wins and losses at WK mean more than others.  So, while Okada did get his win back at MSG, there’s still unfinished business between them at the Dome.

• Like 1

There is always a risk of Okada winning everything because he is the guy that wins everything, but on the other hand this year he feels less relevant than in previous years and thats by design. He got that historic MSG win, but other than that his year has been "empty" asides of trying to elevate Sanada. He was also removed from WK main event last year, which is kinda important since he now likely can't match Tanahashi's 5 back-to-back WK main event wins. His title defence against Jericho wasn't even about him, but a set up for Jericho/Tanahashi. Maybe if Jericho sticks around they'll have Okada get his revenge, but if not then he got nothing out of it. He does not feel like a protagonist this year, more like a roadblock.

Naito's booking in last few years has been rather simple, if he loses two times in a row then he finally beats whoever he is feuding on third attempt. White going 3-0 against Naito would break that pattern. I also think that they got away with WK12 ending because they were able to move on and immediately gave Jericho for Naito on NYD. This time it is problematic because you have second day that you hope to get good walk up number for, you also don't want some of the hardcore Naito fans skipping the show. Naito/Ibushi is nice, but we saw it three times this year so I doubt that many people would be very interested in that. In other words there is more financial risk here.

What I think is most likely to least likely:

Okada/Naito
Ibushi/Naito
Okada/White
Ibushi/White

Add in the Opening matches:

Night 1: Makabe, Honma, Uemura & Tsuji vs, Henare, Coughlin, Connors & Fredricks and Nagata/Nakinashi vs, Tencozy.

Night 2: NEVER 6 Man Gauntlet: Taguchi/Makabe/Yano, Ishii/HASHI/Eagles, BUSHI/EVIL/Tagaki, Kanemaru/Despy/Taichi, & Fale/Yujiro/Owens

12 hours ago, Ace said:

Tanahashi says if he wins, he wants an AEW title shot.

Apparently that's not exactly what he said. If Tanahashi wins and Jericho comes back asking for another match against him, then Tanahashi will take the rematch on the condition it's for the AEW title.

No pinfall for the 10 count? Bogus. Well, I guess it's Japan, they gonna do what they want. 

EDIT: Then again the old rules do remind me of the first Texas death matches I ever saw, the pair of Hogan/Race matches that were near identical on an old WWF tape... those memories are probably best forgotten. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Super J-Cast does not often report "rumours", but when they do they usually are correct. They were first, and I think only, to say that Stardom will have a match on WK cards and said that Kawato was fine after he left Mexico, while Dave did whole "might not wrestle again" bit. So I'm inclined to believe them here.

From what I understand 40 000 would be a slight increase from last year and an actual sell out. 1/5 is noticeably lower, but probably it is difficult to expect casual fans to attend both shows and I guess could be used as an argument for "Mania should be 2-days event" talks.