DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 *contains King of Pro-Wrestling 2019 SPOILERS*

The Natural

5 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Cards look good, only thing that I'm a bit eh about is Juice having another shot at USA title.

I was really surprised they are doing two U.S. title matches, and that Juice is getting title shots on both nights. Unless they just feel bad about never delivering the second Moxley/Juice match from KoPW.

There's something *romantic* about Liger insisting that his last two matches involve Naoki Sano - that's clearly his call, not the company. Japanese dudes don't like to retire in singles matches, especially guys like Liger who have more relationships within the industry than 99.9% of his contemporaries. Also, seeing Hiromu and Lee tag together in such a significant, sentimental match is a great way to bury any perceived hatchets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Both cards are a little underwhelming. Best hope is that the second night is fleshed out more with angles from the first night (especially those needless first night eight man tags). 

No Ospreay second night. 

Given that's it's him vs. Hiromu on night 1, it would be a miracle if Ospreay would be able to give 100% on the second night. I expect a ton of insane bumps in that title match

• Like 1

Question time. Which pairing do people most and least want to see fighting for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship vs. IWGP Intercontinental Championship match at Night Two of Wrestle Kingdom 14?

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White.

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito. 

Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White.

I'd like to see Okada/Naito the most, makes the most sense in storyline as Naito has lost twice to Okada at WK but this time he triumphs. Ibushi/Naito is my least preferred option mainly for THAT Dominion match this year with the risks took by both and the match has been done too many times. Okada is White's best opponent while White's best match overall was with Ibushi in the G1 Climax 29 Finals.

56 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Question time. Which pairing do people most and least want to see fighting for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship vs. IWGP Intercontinental Championship match at Night Two of Wrestle Kingdom 14?

Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White.

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito. 

Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White.

I'd like to see Okada/Naito the most, makes the most sense in storyline as Naito has lost twice to Okada at WK but this time he triumphs. Ibushi/Naito is my least preferred option mainly for THAT Dominion match this year with the risks took by both and the match has been done too many times. Okada is White's best opponent while White's best match overall was with Ibushi in the G1 Climax 29 Finals.

I don't care one bit about crowning Naito, so I'm keen to see either of the Jay White bouts.

I’m thinking more and more it’s going to be Okada/White.  #1 rule of NJPW booking:  If there’s something historical to be accomplished, Okada is going to be the one to do it.  With that in mind, putting him over Naito at WK for a 3rd time seems like an obviously bad move. Despite this being a somewhat off year for the booking, I expect them to avoid that unforced error.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

It's hard to imagine that in the first 2 day WK where one man walks out with both the IWGP Heavyweight and IC belts that Gedo would book anyone other than Okada to be that person. So if it's going to be Okada then I'd rather see him beat Jay White instead of Naito. Although with that scenario, either Naito or Ibushi is going to be losing twice, which sucks. I think if anyone can stand to lose twice it's Jay White because people will want to see him lose anyway. 

Gedo booking logic dictates that Okada must win, but maybe the safer choice is that Naito beats Okada.

Jesus, maybe not. I'm not sure what to think. I'm not even sure which I want to see more for both titles, Okada vs White or Okada vs Naito.

I think we're going to get Naito/Okada on Night 2, I'm not sure who is going to go over, it would seem like Okada is the likely choice but I think it's really up in the  air. I don't see Ibushi winning on night 1 in any event and I think White can eat two losses in a row easily. Plus White has always made good on his word and it would be an interesting character development for him to face two big losses in a row including his chance at the double gold.

There is potential for the fallout of these matches to cause some shake-ups within the stables as well. If Naito wins we could see some dissent from SANADA or even SANADA leaving LIJ to challenge Naito this year, if he loses maybe SANADA or EVIL or even Shingo start to exert themselves at a higher level (that ones a little trickier because of LIJ's spoken philosophy of not having a boss/lieutenant structure but it's still pro-wrestling). Will BC react in any way to White's failures?  Would Ibushi look to join or create a group to try to reach the next level? Okada is the only one who I don't see issues rising from CHAOS due to the outcome but CHAOS needs some shaking up.

23 minutes ago, Sublime said:

I think we're going to get Naito/Okada on Night 2, I'm not sure who is going to go over, it would seem like Okada is the likely choice but I think it's really up in the  air.

I feel like it would be crazy to get to Night 2 with Naito/Okada and not have Naito win. In spite of everything, he's still the most popular guy almost everywhere they go. 

I'm hoping for a really interesting DASH because New Japan is at a point where the landscape needs to change to freshen things up. I think LIJ will stick around (maybe smaller) but I'd like to see CHAOS guys branch out in different directions. If Ibushi is sticking around he could take in some guys for his Research Institute; maybe SHO and YOH. 

General booking logic says you put Naito over Okada here. They had reasons not to in 2018 (Wanting Okada to get the defenses record, still having the Omega/Okada thing to resolve, etc) 

But Okada is, obviously, the guy, and Lord knows Gedo wants Okada to get every honor possible.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

General booking logic says you put Naito over Okada here. They had reasons not to in 2018 (Wanting Okada to get the defenses record, still having the Omega/Okada thing to resolve, etc) 

But Okada is, obviously, the guy, and Lord knows Gedo wants Okada to get every honor possible.

This is what I'm struggling with. I want Naito to win, logistically he should win, but Okada is the man, he's Gedo's man, and it's the WK main event. The chances Okada walks out empty handed from a WK main event are slim.

That's why I was thinking that maybe White vs Okada would be better, but Okada already avenged his loss to White this year and that leads to Naito vs Ibushi where...Naito wins that match? So Naito basically gets a second place set of steak knives and Ibushi jobs twice in two nights? 

This is a messed up corner they've booked themselves into. White's still the only guy I think that doesn't suffer anything from losing both nights.

• Like 1