DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 19: Jędrzejczyk vs. Waterson (10/12/2019) - Tampa, FL (Amalie Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I know Dern's striking isn't great but she throws with confidence and power. However, she looks like a scrub against Ribas. Amanda's control of the gap with her great footwork in addition to really good head movement... damn, man. This is really high level shit and I could see her being a legit title threat pretty fucking quickly with that skill set. I'm sure she'd be more comfortable using her zoozitzu against somebody other than Dern. 

It's a combo of Ribas is a really, really good prospect (if you take out the USADA stuff that kept her from debuting) and Dern is not comfortable as a striker and her wrestling is severely lacking. Ribas is pretty damn stout so you're not just going to get her down with a single leg trip. Moreover, you need something more than a rudimentary one-two because Ribas is constantly moving off to the side. Dern really should be back in Invicta because as amazing as her BJJ is (she almost got a triangle like as soon they hit the ground in round 1...that's amazing reflexes and instincts), she needs development everywhere else. She reminds me of Demian Maia pre-UFC and his first few fights in the UFC. The thing that seperates them is Maia always had a plan B if the first takedown wasn't successful.

Ribas is an awesome promo as well. She is like a Brazilian Bayley.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Kron Gracie is employing the "take every punch until the guy gasses himself out" strategy .

Paying the ultimate price and he has nothing left in the tank to take advantage of it now that Cub's gassed. This is insane. The Toughest Gracie.

Brother needs something more than "soak up all of the damage until other guy is done" against guys that ain't shit. He needs footwork to cut off the cage and something more than clinch and trip. 

• Like 2

Just now, Oyaji said:

Man, that was really touching. Cub is dope and Kron is a fucking Man. I dig both of those guys a tonne. I really want Kron to grow because he could be a huge star and I love his personality.

I think the UFC wants him to be a big star because beating Alex Caceres doesn't really usually net people co-main events. They're going to do everything in their power since he is the first non shitty Gracie (if you don't count Roger) to fight in MMA since Renzo and Ryan.

Speaking of potential big stars, somebody tell Reebok to make an Amanda Ribas HAPPEE shirt. I want that. We need that.

• Like 4

Main event was  a tough gritty fight.

That knockout upkick was insane. Seeing upkick knockouts at this level is exceptionally rare too. Niko Price is highly underrated and should never be overlooked.

I hope Joanna was OK with the weight cut. It seemed like she made weight OK, so I even wonder they announced that at all unless there was  a scare or something.

All that aside, I did laugh when a reporter was asking about her weight cut and if she was confident about making weight, and her response was, "Are you confident about waking up in the morning?"

Angry Joanna is fun Joanna.

• Like 1

Joanna vs. Weili Zhang is going to be super intriguing. Weili Zhang went from good prospect to champ in like no time. However, I don't think she has faced a fighter as polished as Joanna. Joanna looked like money tonight even if she was facing a smaller fighter who doesn't offer up as much versatility as a Rose Namajunas or Valentina Shevchenko. She kicked Michelle anywhere she wanted. Aggressive Joanna is much better than conservative, point fighting Joanna because she gets into a rhythm much faster. It's very frustrating watching her fight in spurts. Her technical prowess allows her to straight carve people up. The thing I like about Weili is she gives different looks to people depending on the opponent. The fight against JAG, the fight against Tecia Torres, and the obliteration of Jessica Andrade were all different looking fights. I can't really say she is improving greatly with every fight so much as she knows how to adapt to every situation. Andrade tried to throw hammers at her, and Weili balled up her with the quickness. Tecia wanted to played the counter game, but Weili was able to land 2 or 3 for every punch or strike Tecia landed and was the much better grappler. Aguilar wanted to have this back and forth, nip tuck clinch fight, and Weili bullied her and absolutely mauled her on the ground in a way you rarely see female fighters pull off. Aguilar was an absolutely bloody mess in the span of 2 minutes. Weili has had an answer for everything. We saw with Mackenzie Dern tonight not every young fighter knows to deal with every curveball that gets thrown their way. It takes real fight IQ and experience to deal with those. A big aspect of Joanna's game is to throw you off. Even though Weili has shown she is a dynamic finisher, Joanna showed in her own fight with Andrade she is willing to lay back and let you come to her. I think in order for Joanna to win, she has to find the right balance between those two worlds. If she tries to be just be a counter fighter, she can't hope the judges are counting every strike. She has to be aggressive with the right amount of caution because Zhang will actively come forward trying devastate Joanna. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 11:05 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, you can't say Michelle Waterson is not tough as all hell.

She's tough as nails, but JJ was on point.

God, that upkick was filthy.  I loved it!  I've always said that MMA judges don't pay enough respect to offense off of the back so maybe this will remind them that the fighter on the bottom is still a very dangerous person.

I feel that Anders did enough to win that fight.  I love his heart, but he needs to be more serious about his training if he wants a satisfying career in the fight game.

I would also like a ticket for the I Heart Kron bandwagon, please.

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

She's tough as nails, but JJ was on point.

God, that upkick was filthy.  I loved it!  I've always said that MMA judges don't pay enough respect to offense off of the back so maybe this will remind them that the fighter on the bottom is still a very dangerous person.

I feel that Anders did enough to win that fight.  I love his heart, but he needs to be more serious about his training if he wants a satisfying career in the fight game.

I would also like a ticket for the I Heart Kron bandwagon, please.

Eryk Anders' upside is basically a better version of OSP. However, I think St. Preux is fighting more to his strengths now. Granted, it took awhile for him to do that. However, with St. Preux, you know he is losing big or winning big. You're not going to be trying to figure out if he did enough. If you take out the Rountree fight, Anders either wins big or you don't feel confident he comfortably won on anyone's scorecards. He might lose 30-27 3x in a fight where you can score it 30-27 for him easily if you just parse though everything that happened in the fight. You're not going to be elevated in the UFC if that happens every other time you fight. In addition, he is still fighting guys like Gerald Meerschaert. No slight to Meerschaert, but he is a fringe level talent who at best will be a solid gatekeeper. That should be a clear, decisive victory for him.

• Like 1