DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 19: Jędrzejczyk vs. Waterson (10/12/2019) - Tampa, FL (Amalie Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

EDnb0ekXUAQ4eos.jpeg?1567606147

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 19: Jędrzejczyk vs. Waterson 
October 12, 2019
Tampa, FL (Amalie Arena)

Joanna Jędrzejczyk (115.5) vs. Michelle Waterson (115)Jędrzejczyk, DEC (unanimous)
Cub Swanson (146) vs. Kron Gracie (145.5) - Swanson, DEC (unanimous)
Niko Price (170) vs. James Vick (170.5) - Price, KO (upkick), R1 (1:44)
Mackenzie Dern (115) vs. Amanda Ribas (115) - Ribas, DEC (unanimous)
Matt Frevola (154) vs. Luis Peña (154.5) - Frevola, DEC (split)
Eryk Anders (186) vs. Gerald Meerschaert (184.6) - Anders, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Ryan Spann (205) vs. Devin Clark (205.5) - Spann, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:01)
Thomas Gifford (155) vs. Mike Davis (155.5) - Davis, KO (punch), R3 (4:45)
Max Griffin (169.5) vs. Alex Morono (170) - Morono, DEC (unanimous)
Deiveson Alcântara (125.5) vs. Tim Elliott (125.5) - Alcântara, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (3:08)
Marlon Vera (135) vs. Andre Ewell (135) - Vera, TKO (strikes), R3 (3:17)
Miguel Baeza (170) vs. Hector Aldana (170) - Baeza, TKO (low kicks and punches), R2 (2:32)
Marvin Vettori (185) vs. Andrew Sanchez (184) - Vettori, DEC (unanimous)
JJ Aldrich (125) vs. Lauren Mueller (125.5) - Aldrich, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the NightMarlon Vera
Performance of the Night: Niko Price
Fight of the Night: Cub Swanson vs. Kron Gracie

Attendance: 10,597
Gate: $897,805

Cancelled Fights:
Thomas Gifford vs. Brok Weaver - Weaver Withdrew From Bout

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Image result for schwarzenegger crom

Kron!

Meerschaert back in action too! Is it possible for Anders to win a decision? I feel like he'll get the stoppage or get frustrated/tapped by the Machine.

Also looking forward to Niko Price hopefully knocking Vick's block off.

Best possible scenario for Waterson is that her fight gets called off and they never run it back. Joanna is too big and has a significant skill edge. Waterson's best hope would be to somehow get her down and stay on top for the duration and I don't see that happening. 

I feel like Meerschaert is just under Anders in terms of skill level. Anders is far from perfect, but Meerschaert hasn't exactly put together the best UFC resume to date. The fact that Trevin Giles basically helped Meerschaert submit him in Gerald's last fight does not really give me confidence he can handle a step up. I think both guys could use a victory over one another.

I'm looking forward to Dern vs. Ribas. Ribas didn't look too shabby in her long awaited UFC debut. I think this is the first real opponent for Dern.

The reporting on the weight cut is so weird. I read one article saying Joanna is going to attempt a "scary weight cut". But the only indication that it's "scary" is that they tried to get a catch weight fight at 120. No one actually knows how much she has to lose to hit 116. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

The reporting on the weight cut is so weird. I read one article saying Joanna is going to attempt a "scary weight cut". But the only indication that it's "scary" is that they tried to get a catch weight fight at 120. No one actually knows how much she has to lose to hit 116. 

I think people are going on the fact that she informed the UFC before fight week. On one hand, I actually agree with doing that because at least you and your opponent can come to some type of agreement so the fight won't be called off. I think what happened here is somebody might have leaked that out, and judging by Joanna's nonchalant reaction, I think they wanted that to be kept on a need-to-know basis. So basically she's probably been working nonstop to shed the weight to get within striking distance of 116.

Contrast that to Mackenzie Dern where so much concern (right or wrong) has been placed on her making weight during her short UFC run. She said she came into town around 118, and I saw on Wednesday night/Thursday morning she was already on weight. I think everybody knows how to get off a bunch of water weight. Plus, especially with the birth of the UFC PI, the UFC is probably trying to allocate more and more resources to help people make weight (hopefully) safely. However, can you get off that last 5 or 6 pounds to make weight? When I go back and add the notes for people missing weight after I watch the weigh-ins, I hardly see people miss by obscene amounts (>10 pounds). I do see 2-5 pound variances though. Alot.

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The reports of the bout being cancelled because JJ could not make weight were premature.

She still looks like she's about to pass out in that picture, though.  I'm sure she's looking forward to rehydration time.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow night who has the bigger chip on their shoulder:   Waterson and her quest to be mom champ or JJ returning to the division that she nearly cleaned out.

Eryk Anders will either kill Gerald Meerschaert or die in the attempt. There will be no middle ground.  For the sake of the fight, I sure hope he's been working on his cardio in the interim.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Languid, dopey looking fighters like Ryan Hall and Gerald (Gerald!) are my new love, so while Anders seems like a great dude I am aboard the Meerschaert bandwagon. 

Edited by Oyaji

I wonder if the whole weight cut leak was planned to get people talking about the fight this weekend. That feels like something Dana would do. then he can tweet shit like "DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ."

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I wonder if the whole weight cut leak was planned to get people talking about the fight this weekend. That feels like something Dana would do. then he can tweet shit like "DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ."

He can't control people making weight though. He wouldn't tweet that if she missed which is always a possibility.

You're right, but I don't know why he'd tweet it whether she made it or not. 

I mean all the reports were that she tried to negotiate a catch weight. Was that not true? Where did that information come from?

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

You're right, but I don't know why he'd tweet it whether she made it or not. 

I mean all the reports were that she tried to negotiate a catch weight. Was that not true? Where did that information come from?

Looking into it...the story originated with Combate and then Ariel Helwani reported that multiple sources were saying Joanna tried to do a catchweight.

Marc Raimondi did a story for ESPN before that news came out and Ariel grabbed a quote for his article:

"It's been a while [since I've cut] to strawweight and I'm just getting older," Jedrzejczyk, 32, recently told ESPN's Marc Raimondi. "We can't do the weight cut the same time as last time. Our bodies are very smart. I'm not a natural strawweight. I got to the strawweight division five years ago after I signed with the UFC. It's not natural for me, but I'm doing my best. I always fight two fights. One is before the fight. I'm gonna get there and take care of my business in so many different ways."

I will also note that Joanna fired the woman (she was always in the Embedded vlogs with Joanna when she was champ preparing her meals IIRC) from Perfecting Athletes after the first fight with Rose. Ray Borg got rid of them after he got ill from a botched weight cut that forced him off of UFC 215, which was two months prior to that. Then, Phil Daru from ATT tore into them. Knowing that, I chalk it up to she doesn't have making strawweight down to an exact science but she knows her opportunities exist there.

Plus, Dana likes to look cool for all the internet fight fans. He is going to revel in Ariel and others getting something wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Mackenzie Dern weighed in at 115, too.

I probably owe somebody something for this...I didn't think she'd ever come close to 115 again, mostly because I don't remember her ever getting to 115 before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I probably owe somebody something for this...I didn't think she'd ever come close to 115 again, mostly because I don't remember her ever getting to 115 before.

She only missed once in the UFC and she missed twice in Legacy FC/LFA (the fact it was still Legacy FC tells you it happened a while ago). However, Henry Cejudo had the same problems in Legacy (he also missed two times in row like Dern) and he had a botched weight cut that put him out of UFC 177. 

With Dern, I think her not being with a real MMA team played a huge factor in being so off in the Amanda Cooper fight. She was just floating around between Checkmat BJJ and Black House putting together her own camp. That's not really conducive for cutting weight. Plus, I don't think she was really committed to being with the MMA Lab before that. For John Crouch to fire her off a win (the Ashley Yoder fight) tells you a lot. For a MMA fighter to get fired from a gym, you have to be on a different level of not giving a fuck.

Now, she isn't just fighting for herself. Whereas I think Cejudo's motivation for changing the outlook in his career was he didn't want to play second fiddle to Demetrious Johnson, having a baby and the fact that strawweight is more wide open than ever will probably motivate Dern to at least aspire to be more than the daughter of Megaton Dias or really great at BJJ.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She only missed once in the UFC and she missed twice in Legacy FC/LFA (the fact it was still Legacy FC tells you it happened a while ago). However, Henry Cejudo had the same problems in Legacy (he also missed two times in row like Dern) and he had a botched weight cut that put him out of UFC 177. 

With Dern, I think her not being with a real MMA team played a huge factor in being so off in the Amanda Cooper fight. She was just floating around between Checkmat BJJ and Black House putting together her own camp. That's not really conducive for cutting weight. Plus, I don't think she was really committed to being with the MMA Lab before that. For John Crouch to fire her off a win (the Ashley Yoder fight) tells you a lot. For a MMA fighter to get fired from a gym, you have to be on a different level of not giving a fuck.

Now, she isn't just fighting for herself. Whereas I think Cejudo's motivation for changing the outlook in his career was he didn't want to play second fiddle to Demetrious Johnson, having a baby and the fact that strawweight is more wide open than ever will probably motivate Dern to at least aspire to be more than the daughter of Megaton Dias or really great at BJJ.

My opinion is based on her seeming indifference when she missed wieght.  It was pretty apparent that she didn't try very hard to actually cut the weight.  She missed weight by 7 lbs. and then said something to the effect of, "I'm way more interested in having boobs than cutting weight."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

My opinion is based on her seeming indifference when she missed wieght.  It was pretty apparent that she didn't try very hard to actually cut the weight.  She missed weight by 7 lbs. and then said something to the effect of, "I'm way more interested in having boobs than cutting weight."

I can't argue with that logic. 

But yeah, for the longest she cared about just hanging out and doing whatever over MMA.

Jesus Christ, I don't think I saw her UFC debut but I'm instantly a huge fan of Amanda Ribas. Super crisp counter striking with amazing takedown offense and defense. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I know Dern's striking isn't great but she throws with confidence and power. However, she looks like a scrub against Ribas. Amanda's control of the gap with her great footwork in addition to really good head movement... damn, man. This is really high level shit and I could see her being a legit title threat pretty fucking quickly with that skill set. I'm sure she'd be more comfortable using her zoozitzu against somebody other than Dern. 

edit: I think I'm in love.

Edited by Oyaji