DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Here's what's on tap for tonight:

FOR THE NXT CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Drew Gulak (c) vs. Lio Rush

Finn Balor addresses the NXT crowd

Tomasso Ciampa addresses the NXT crowd  (HMM... I wonder if they will interact?) ?

Kushida vs. WALTER

Shayna Baszler *might* find a new challenger for the NXT Women's Championship

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wait so the 205 Live championship is now called the NXT Cruiserweight championship?  Oh well at least Gulak still has a belt

Yeah, but does it really make a difference if it's called the WWE or NXT cruiserweight title? It's meaningless to most folks either way.

Drew/Lio was good though I'm slightly annoyed Lio is champ. Gulak was good and there were other more deserving guys though the crowd was happy so good for them I guess. Not sure why they felt the need to rebrand the WWE Curiserweight Title with NXT. The United Kingdom has WWE in front of it and no one has any issues with that.

Rhea's annihilation of Aliyah was wonderful. Looks like they have started back on the road to Rhea/Shayna.

Dakota/Bianca was good and we also got to see Bianca pull a running SSP. Honestly if she can do the top rope version she should totally use it as another finisher. 

Breezango changing their entrance again both disappoints and excites me. I really dug the siren opening from before, but now I'm kind of hoping they change their entrance every month or two now.

Swerve/Roddy was good stuff. The post match stuff with Dream was amusing and ridiculous. I'm kind of surprised they got away with that. Ciampa coming out right after was great. Its nice to see Garza getting used as a character even if he got chumped by Ciampa. Looking forward to Ciampa vs. Garza.

WALTER/Kushida was as good as expected. For just a second they had people convinced WALTER might lose. Not sure sure where Kushida or Imperium go after this in NXT. I'm still hoping we get War Games with Imperium.

Edited by Eivion

NXT was a great hour that went two hours.  Drew/Lio, Rhea squash, Roddy/Swerve, and WALTER/Kushida would have been one of the better NXT shows period.  They clearly blew their wad last week, and they either regroup or this is how it's going to be.  It kinda sucks my favorite WWE show of the week is the least watched one.  

WALTER/KUSHIDA maybe the best match I've seen live ever. Absolutely incredible. Folks legit thought KUSHIDA was going to beat WALTER. I'm so happy I was there to witness it.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

After all of these years of Roderick Strong's criticism on the indies that he was dull and couldn't talk to save his life, we have now upgraded to his big criticism being that he has a small dick.   PROGRESS ?

I wonder if they think that one way to counter a TV-14 show is to make dick jokes and jokes about plumbing (Beth's monologue at the start of the Breezango match was...interesting)  It's definitely not something I'd recommend but it seemed the crowd reacted well to Roddy's picture.

I know the guy had his issues with WWE and rightfully so.  But I'll be damned if I didn't feel huge sense of happiness seeing Lio win a title in WWE (don't recall him winning that before)  Seeing him in MCW for quite awhile and slowly make his way to this point has been great.  It wasn't smooth and I for sure thought he'd have been fired but it is nice to see that moving back to NXT was truly the right move.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I wonder if they think that one way to counter a TV-14 show is to make dick jokes and jokes about plumbing (Beth's monologue at the start of the Breezango match was...interesting)  It's definitely not something I'd recommend but it seemed the crowd reacted well to Roddy's picture.

Big Joey Ryan fan? ?

Watched WALTER/KUSHIDA on video. Incredible match on video, too. Loved how they played up KUSHIDA being the much smaller of the two and WALTER's only real big bumps being from KUSHIDA's rapid offense and not from him being able to toss WALTER. Loved how they didn't got into overkill and avoided the endless 2.99 loop. Great, great match. Really makes me wish WALTER would change his opinion and transition over full time to the NXT roster as he would make for an incredible champion.

Probably the most network feeling NXT of the live NXTs so far; the pacing, setups, match choices, etc.

Rhea is such a great beast now. Like did she develop this in her UK stint?

Gulak/Rush: I seriously wish they didn't have that windowed commercial format, like I rather they just cut in and out cause watching the thumbnail of the match is frustrating since it was legit good!

Where the hell did Swerve come from? I don't remember him being this good in that breakout tourney! They worked really well together too.

Kushida /WALTER was fantastic. Dunne wrestles so much bigger than he actually is so I couldn't appreciate just how freakin versatile Walter is: Kushida's best NXT match to date. How long has Walter been around? He wrestles like a well seasoned veteran.

Edited by turk128

Finally got around to this. Gulak/Rush was alright, Gulak looks good (never seen him before), I guess I get the hype and always like submission guys so hey. Rhea is, erm, right up my alley. I'll leave it at that. WALTER/KUSHIDA was weird. Kushida took a shitload of that match and it just didn't feel right. I wanted way more WALTER ass-stomp and didn't get it. 

I FF'ed everything else. The crowd wasn't annoying until the last match this time! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turk128 said:

Rhea is such a great beast now. Like did she develop this in her UK stint?

Where the hell did Swerve come from? I don't remember him being this good in that breakout tourney! They worked really well together too.

Kushida /WALTER was fantastic. Dunne wrestles so much bigger than he actually is so I couldn't appreciate just how freakin versatile Walter is: Kushida's best NXT match to date. How long has Walter been around? He wrestles like a well seasoned veteran.

Not really? I mean she got better in NXT UK, but showing off like a beast is something she has shown flashes of since the second MYC.

You really need to check out Serve/Gulak from 205Live. It was pretty damn great. Not sure what the hell was up with him during the breakout tournament after seeing that and the match with Roddy.

WALTER has been wrestling since 05.

• Like 1

WALTER / KUSHIDA was all kinds of great.  I actually turned from AEW to watch it live and the AEW card was on fucking fire this past Wednesday.

Edited by J.T.

It was good, but it appeared to lose viewers to AEW until the overrun.

It says something about WWE's transition to a global brand that the main event feature an one on one match featuring guys representing Japan and Austria. 10 years ago, at least one of them would actually have really came from Canada.

I do wonder about that from a TV ratings perspective though.

56 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

It was good, but it appeared to lose viewers to AEW until the overrun.

It says something about WWE's transition to a global brand that the main event feature an one on one match featuring guys representing Japan and Austria. 10 years ago, at least one of them would actually have really came from Canada.

I do wonder about that from a TV ratings perspective though.

Even more than their nationality, I think it comes down to the fact that neither guy is actually an established star in NXT.  Walter has been around for a month, tops, and Kushida basically went MIA not long after his debut until this Walter feud materialized out of thin air.  Unless you followed NXT UK or NJPW, you really don’t have much reason to care about either guy, at this point.

And that’s the match you choose to headline against stiff competition?  Bad call.

Edited by EVA