DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

But seriously, it’s a little ridiculous to put a lopsided bottom of the top of the 9th baseball game on TNT, and preempt your new highly rated live TV show for 10 minutes. Fucking Ted probably had “Never preempt Braves Fucking Baseball for noting” inscribed in the CNN tower.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But seriously, it’s a little ridiculous to put a lopsided bottom of the top of the 9th baseball game on TNT, and preempt your new highly rated live TV show for 10 minutes. Fucking Ted probably had “Never preempt Braves Fucking Baseball for noting” inscribed in the CNN tower.

All major sports leagues have it in their TV contracts that games will be shown to completion.

They aren’t going to yank a NFL blowout off to start showing Masked Singer for example

When they went to commercial after the Inner Circle promo, JR said "Good segment" before anyone thought to cut the commentary on the fite feed. But during the main, he called Jericho "The Psychological master of the AWA", which might be his best 'Wrong name, Jim' moment so far.

Private Party vs. Young Bucks is a match of the year contender. Great blend of traditional tag team wrestling and modern spots. Last week Riho was made and this week it was Private Party. Fuck yeah for building up new talents. They're serious about that.

Then Jericho delivered a God-tier promo, just so much goodness.

Show dipped hard after that. Darby took some gnarly bumps as he does but that was a nothing match. More technique from him tonight, which is good but I don't like how he's basically getting fucked up for the entirety and then hits two moves and wins. He should be selling most of the match, so that's okay, but he needs more hope spots.

Britt Baker is DOA. Just move on until she can get better. Riho is over. Bea has so much potential and she, unlike Britt, gets it even though she's clearly not the finished product.

Just something small like, "and back to you, JR" following the ringside interview would've made that transition 1000 times less awkward.

Sean Shawn Spears is female Britt Baker but with eons of experience. Nothing there though that DVD into the barricade was gross/awesome. Mox is a superstar. Loved the Omega stuff post-match. Tully needs to ditch Spears in a hot minute here. Lots of potential guys but Pac would be the best fit even though I like his promos on his own. Tully doesn't need to do all of the talking but those two bastards together would be perfect.

Main event was really good (Dustin tag!) and then I was marking out like it was '97 Nitro with those perfectly laid out run ins. Darby is my hero. MJeff continues to tease the turn but Does the Right Thing. Just tremendous stuff! I cannot wait for Jericho/Darby next week!

First 35 minutes between the tag and the Jericho promo was the best opening to a tv show I've seen in for-fucking-ever. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I definitely noticed Jim rambling a few times tonight. Ah well. 

This was a real entertaining show. PAC is now doing what Aleister Black is kinda sorta and that's amusing, as is right winger Hager in a group with two Latinos. Private Party seem green but they'll pick up fast. I got my Moxley brawl, some good tags and a good schmozz at the end, Darby and Jimmy was good, no complaints overall. Compared to WWE it's night and day.

• Like 4

Private Party vs. Young Bucks was badass. Glad to see Private Party get a surprising upset. It definitely adds a little bit of juice and unpredictability factor to this tournament since the Bucks were the clear favorite and they are already out of it now. 

The show and presentation looks very different from WWE which I like. It's just nice to have a big time wrestling product on cable that looks and feels different.

Jericho's Inner Circle promo to establish the group was solid. Jericho has clearly slowed down in the ring a bit, but his mic skills have not. Simple and good promo to establish the stable and their members. 

I'm assuming with MJF, just my opinion, that they are playing the long game with him and Cody. They sort of teased the betrayal tonight. I'm glad they didn't. It feels way too early to do that. I probably wouldn't even do it at Full Gear. Honestly, I probably would've waited until Full Gear to TEASE the betrayal. Even tonight it felt a little early to tease the betrayal in the ring, but whatevs. MJF is a star and when it's his time, they need to give him a lengthy heel run for the belt. Like he's the bad guy you have the faces chase for the title.

Also this. This is why Jim Cornette is a fucking out of touch idiot. Orange Cassidy is fucking money and was a brilliant darkhorse signing for the company. The dude has IT factor. 

• Like 4

Two things:

1) To follow up on the idea of Pac with Tully, it actually makes sense with him being out there during that match. He was bitching about how unfair it was that Darby and Havoc got the title contender match instead of him. Having Tully promote him and negotiate for him would be the perfect link between the two. I think they're actually setting it up here, boys.

2) Edgelord Priestley being accompanied by midlife female Freddie Mercury is life.

• Like 1

as for MJF.. if you're opportunistically (allegedly) aligning yourself with Cody Rhodes, then you gain more if you turn heel on Cody when he's a champion as opposed to turning heel on him and going from a Cody friend to a Jericho friend while Jericho is the champion. Basically if he flips, it'd involve being a top banana and not a second banana.

or maybe MJF was right all along and the babyfaces he's going up against in MLW are wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed on everything everybody is saying about the Mjeff storyline. Patience is key here. And when he does turn, he needs a whole crew of heaters to be in the way of him and Cody. He has to be a cowering shit that doesn't get touched for months and then when Cody finally gets his hands on him, it'll be like the '97 Uncensored Sting pop. 

• Like 1

Private Party vs Young Bucks was way more awesome than I expected. 

I like Havoc but he's got to have better offence for non-hardcore matches. I'm not saying he should be ZSJ....but actually he is basically built the same and trained by the same people so actually just be like ZSJ ?

Yeah I think the women's division needs retooling.

Shawn Spears has a really good entrance but he hasn't quite put it together. I don't think he's unsalvageable but clearly creative doesn't have much for him right now, which is ironic. AEW Jon Moxley is obviously great, but he's not quite as awesome as 'Death Rider' John Moxley.

Main event was great, didn't over deliver, I knew MJF wasn't turning and I knew he was getting that Codebreaker but it was still amazing. The pitch black gimmick wasn't needed though.

• Like 2

Even better than the first show.

Darby is gonna be a huge star.  Does a lot of little things great.  I'm kinda thinking (hoping?) that they're gonna do a re-do of the infamous HHH/Jericho Dusty finish next week.  Otherwise, why else do you even do this match, unless you're going to try to genuinely shock people (if only for a moment)?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

as for MJF.. if you're opportunistically (allegedly) aligning yourself with Cody Rhodes, then you gain more if you turn heel on Cody when he's a champion as opposed to turning heel on him and going from a Cody friend to a Jericho friend while Jericho is the champion. Basically if he flips, it'd involve being a top banana and not a second banana.

or maybe MJF was right all along and the babyfaces he's going up against in MLW are wrong

The commentators being surprised that MJF didn't turn on Cody tells you the turn is not happening for a LONG TIME.

Thought the show was great.  Hopefully some of the guys can unlearn their WWE-speak because PAC demanding a "championship opportunity" was fucking NAILS on a CHALKBOARD.  

I've only seen Private Party/Young Bucks and the Jericho promo so far, but I am loving this week's show. I love how into it the crowd is. I can't wait for next week in Philly.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
This show was awesome.
  • Like 6