DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Rush's hair alone, dawg! It's amazing. He also has a great punchable face and all of the bacne from the roids. He's jacked, baby and above average height. 

His most famous/best matches are the brawls with LA Park. They're all on YouTube and I fucking love them to bits. But he's been in some really fun tags with Los Ingobernables and his brothers. I don't watch a lot of lucha since CMLL went into hyper apathy mode but Cubs Fan does all of the work for all things lucha libre. His MOTYC lists are super helpful when looking for good shit from Mexico. 2019 hasn't been a good year for Rush in-ring splitting his time between ROH, CMLL, and earlier in the year MLW. He also pretty much gave up on trying in CMLL by the sounds of it, so it's good he's out.

Fired up Rush is the best Rush

• Like 3

Brody King’s offence is the epitome of ‘just because you can doesn’t mean you should’. He’s going for a Keith Lee vibe but he doesn’t have the natural agility so some of his stuff looks sloppy and weak. That said, he has a good amount of talent and if he leaned more into brawling than flying he could be a solid contribution to the roster. Give him a chain to swing around, that’d be cool.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 3

Speaking of Rush here’s him vs Bandido from ROH’s 17th Anniversary Show from March of this year. I was there live and this is my first time seeing the match since.

It’s as tight as I remember it being. Imagine watching this on Dynamite in front of a larger crowd. Also ROH is so bad at micing a crowd we were way louder then it comes off on the tape.

• Like 1

Late to the party but I finally watched last night and I thought this episode was even better than the first. I understand why those who didn't like Jericho's promo feel that way, but it worked for me very much just because it was something different. 

The main event was unreal, maybe one of my favorite matches they've run so far on any show. Dustin is still just one of the best doing it today it's mind boggling.

The opener was star making in my eyes, but my girlfriend kept calling Private Party "store brand Street Profits" so YMMV I guess

19 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I enjoy Havok’s finger biting offense. I enjoy the flips and the big moves of the other guys, but sometimes I just want a guy eating another guy’s fingers. I don’t need him to be a world champion or be in big storylines. Just to occasionally put mid-carders hands in his mouth. 

Absolutely.

The problem in my mind is he also delivered a suplex to the outside that didn't get a pop, he did a Jay Driller which...well it didn't look worse than a lot of Jay Drillers but it's a pretty crappy looking move....he also did a running DVD which is actually Shawn Spears' finish - bear in mind the he allegedly had Pete Dunne blackballed from Progress for a good while for doing too much in his match. Bite fingers and work holds, and you will have no beef from me. Bonus points for doing atomic drops. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, Ace said:

Do we really need Jim Cornette's take every time on a company he has no involvement in?

I don't understand why people get so worked up about Cornette voicing his opinion on modern Wrestling, Ofcourse he's not going to like alot of what he sees today. I find it very funny to listen to his reviews and such. There is obviously an audience for it. The fact that he now has to take the time out to watch shows of a Promotion that isn't his preference is entertaining. He probably watches more modern Wrestling as a result. There are some talent he is a fan of even outside of Jericho,  Dustin and Cody. He's given then so much attention and Tony is such a mark I'm sure he's eating it up even if he's the butt of a few of his joke. I'd be marking out too if I was him

As much as I love Corny talking old school and don't take his views on the modern product very seriously, I do like him breaking down tv shows from a technical standpoint, given his experience writing, formatting and producing wrestling shows.

• Like 3

I just scroll past a post that has Cornette's take on the show, just don't see a reason to be bothered.  If he means it then that's his opinion, but if he's doing it for attention then that's just sad.  But I don't care either way.  While I don't blame those complaining about his stuff being mentioned here it's just not worth going nuts over it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I just scroll past a post that has Cornette's take on the show, just don't see a reason to be bothered.

This. It's not that hard to just ignore him and move on if he bothers you that much. ?‍♂️

And it's not true Cornette hates all modern pro-wrestling. Sure he hates something things, but as someone who's been in the business as long as Cornette has, I enjoy listening to him offering his take even though I don't agree with him a lot of the time. I do think he takes it a bit too far and needs to tone it down 2-3 notches as it comes across as childish sometimes. Anyway, he's actually a fan of and has praised Cody/Dustin, the Revival (because of their throwback cosplay), Riddle/Cole and WALTER/Bate to name a few.

No idea why I'd wade into this muck again but here goes...I don't dislike Cornette for thinking most modern wrestling is crap.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I dislike him because he's disingenuous.  He's a carny who knows exactly who his audience is and what they pay for, so he gives them that, regardless of what he truly believes.  He's a brilliant mind and historian who realized that being a brilliant mind and historian doesn't pay the bills as nicely as being an outlandish, negative prick does.  My god, what a waste.  He could have a great podcast full of well-thought-out criticism that leans on his decades of experience that spreads some positivity and knowledge, but he's chosen the easy and cheap way instead.  He doesn't believe most modern wrestling is crap but his fans do, so he just gives them that.  It's really lame and a huge waste of time unless you're one of these sad people with a rage boner for Kenny Omega who needs to get off on being miserable.

Also, it's funny that Cornette is alleging Omega has a  "Japanese school girl fetish" like Cornette is in any position to kink shame someone.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW ooooooh I'm stoked for AEW Dark tomorrow.

This is fucking strange. I'm excited for wrestling on a weekly basis now.

Shit, man, me too.  With Dark and Dynamite there's now two nights to get excited over and it just feels so damn good.  Strange for sure considering it's been quite awhile.  But very good all the same.

Considering they save the promos for Youtube I would hope that if they show it in a video package they put a watermark showing the Youtube channel it's on.  A friend of mine is new to it all and she didn't know about either channel (has since been corrected)  So while there's a lot of die-hards that know about them it'd be nice for new fans to know where to go to.

EDIT:  The stats that LoneWolf linked to are amazing.  I would absolutely love to see that be an official thing if only for big matches.  It covers the sports aspect they want and is fascinating to read.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

No idea why I'd wade into this muck again but here goes...I don't dislike Cornette for thinking most modern wrestling is crap.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I dislike him because he's disingenuous.  He's a carny who knows exactly who his audience is and what they pay for, so he gives them that, regardless of what he truly believes.  He's a brilliant mind and historian who realized that being a brilliant mind and historian doesn't pay the bills as nicely as being an outlandish, negative prick does.  My god, what a waste.  He could have a great podcast full of well-thought-out criticism that leans on his decades of experience that spreads some positivity and knowledge, but he's chosen the easy and cheap way instead.  He doesn't believe most modern wrestling is crap but his fans do, so he just gives them that.  It's really lame and a huge waste of time unless you're one of these sad people with a rage boner for Kenny Omega who needs to get off on being miserable.

Also, it's funny that Cornette is alleging Omega has a  "Japanese school girl fetish" like Cornette is in any position to kink shame someone.

Just wanted to piggyback on this and add one more thing. Cornette frequently shittalks President Camacho Cheeto, which, ok, fine because I don't like the prick either, but Cornette does the same exact shit that Cheeto does. Corny is the biggest hypocrite. He constantly dog whistles, is a bigot, doubles down when he's clearly wrong, etc. So I don't want to hear some this shit about how smart Corny is. He ain't. He may know how to work the marks and may know wrestling history, but that's where it stops. If he were so smart then he'd be self-aware enough to know that he does the exact same shit that he hates Trump for.

• Like 2