DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hate to bring it up but obviously this was all very unscripted..     he had some bullet points and then hhe went out there and freestyles.  Why can't this be a thing across all wrestling? 

having done extemp speaking in HS Speech and Debate... I suspect there are some people who would flourish working that way, and some that would have a rough go of things (at least at first), and fucking up early might not be forgotten so quickly. But yeah, seeing Jericho and thinking, "why can't other people do this" is slightly unfair to the other people too. It's like watching Altuve and asking why more 5'6" dudes aren't in the majors.

although i'd hope the concept of "here's a topic, think it over for 30 minutes, and speak on it for a few minutes" would be a solid exercise for getting some people into that mindset

Yeah I'm not advocating they do that for everyone but for people who clearly excel at it why not..   and we already know that is the plan going forward for AEW I'm just wondering why other promotions aren't giving the talent as much leeway.  Nearly all the best promos in wrestling come from the bullet points approach.  

I'll be the degenerate to look at quarter hour ratings! From the Observer:

AEW on TNT opened with 1,138,000 viewers and ended with 1,036,000. Overall, the end of the Young Bucks vs. Private Party and the Jericho interview, a segment that was the peak in a number of major markets, actually lost 44,000 viewers overall. Darby Allin vs. Jimmy Havoc lost 196,000 viewers. The women’s tag match gained 58,000 viewers. Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears gained 27,000 viewers. And the main event and post-match angle gained 53,000 viewers.

Riho is a star, apparently. Weird how such a fantastic, hot opening lost viewers. 

• Like 1

Obviously it would be good to see the quarter hours of NXT and compare them.

Allin/Havoc wasn't good enough - number of reasons why. Havoc needs a storyline or he's going to flounder outside of weapons matches. That mask stuff plays in UK because he tried to decapitate Will Ospreay etc, but without that context he looks like a random dude playing dress up. He's got something, but you can't just throw him out there like that.

I like Spears more than many, but that match wasn't quite what it needed to be and I'm not entirely sure that's completely on him. He needs to get away from that 10 nonsense though, and make his shit mean more.

Obviously they won again, and the product is generally coming along, but they can't get away with too much.

• Like 1

I was thinking about how much Darby comes off great as an underdog, and how Jimmy Havoc doesn’t work as his rival given that they are close to the same height. So I was thinking about somebody who’d be a perfect opposite to Darby. Why not somebody like Masada? He’s available isn’t he?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Havoc needs a storyline or he's going to flounder outside of weapons matches. That mask stuff plays in UK because he tried to decapitate Will Ospreay etc, but without that context he looks like a random dude playing dress up. He's got something, but you can't just throw him out there like that.

This is 100% spot on. Havoc has sucked for a while now and looks like a fish out of water when he doesn't he can't do papercuts or use a staple gun for the most part. His early ace PROGRESS run was cool, but that was ages ago and it featured a ton of garbage style matches iirc.

Darby on the other hand is fantastic as a tiny underdog. Say what you will about Gabe, but he did a fantastic job booking Darby in EVOLVE for the previous 2-3 years. The Ethan Page feud, the title chase angle, the Ringkampf feud, etc. were all different, but were all fantastic.

Edited by Edwin

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only thing I didn't like about the Jericho promo was the "and that's a shoot" bit. Unless you're gonna say "brother" after that, don't use it. 

I’m surprised Jericho's promo is getting so much love here, because other than putting his new group over, I thought it was really cringey. “That’s a shoot...”, “bad creative”, and making sure to emphasize it when he cursed was all worked shooty nonsense. I also laughed when I realized his entrance video says “EVIL”. Show, don’t tell, Chris.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

I will say that it seems odd to me that they haven’t used any TV time to establish (or reboot) the Dark Order.  They need it badly.  Throwing them out cold in the tag tourney isn’t going to go well.

I was thinking about how Jurassic Express hadn’t appeared yet either.

I do like how they seem to be weaving different feuds/stories together, and I’m looking forward to Allin/Jericho next week.

Kenny Omega giving Mox a barbed wire bat, while keeping barbed wired covered broom straw for himself certainly was something.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I was thinking about how much Darby comes off great as an underdog, and how Jimmy Havoc doesn’t work as his rival given that they are close to the same height. So I was thinking about somebody who’d be a perfect opposite to Darby. Why not somebody like Masada? He’s available isn’t he?

If Mance Warner could play heel , and I think he could, he'd the perfect guy to torment Darby for months.  Ryback could work too, just have him be his heel bully character from WWE.  The Dark Order of the folks on the current roster could work, but you'd need to get Darby a partner.

Havoc is not going to get over as a wrestler in AEW.  He's too lousy a standard wrestler, and too small.  He can keep doing his backstage stuff, and should become a manager.

Edited by alstein

AEW and the lesser (thus far) roster guys like Havoc, Spears, Dark Order etc. deserve at least a little bit of time and patience.  We're sooo early in the run.  Spears, for example, coming in and helping create some hype and a solid story around a match with Cody and then delivering a very solid outing deserves more appreciation than it's gotten.  As does this week's loss to Moxley.  That match was an enhancement match for Moxley, and Spears did a good job getting over the match and Mox's win - not to mention the DVD into the barricade was one of the coolest spots on the show.  I never saw Spears as WWE's Tye Dillinger, so there's that.  In general it'd be great to see the consensus move away from holding performers responsible for their shitty WWE personas or the way in which that dogshit creative booked them.  

I like Jimmy Havoc and feel like the role he's in is just fine.  Not everybody can be at the top of the card.  He's a good mid-card JTTS act. 

Dark Order were poorly debuted.  A lights out in that big show situation(s) asked for a big surprise and when these guys are what the crowd got of course they're not going to be excited.  Lights out should always be for big stars that the crowd can pop for.  So now ppl are looking at them like they're supposed to be something special and have no patience to allow them to get over.  Those guys are an awesome tag team, and deserve a bit more of a chance.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

See, if they'd debuted in an announced match and had a lights out entrance gimmick, then them doing lights out surprise attacks afterwards would have worked. But the way they did it, to most of the audience going lights off lights on, you expect a Sabu in ECW level star, not a Who Are These Guys level act.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Corny rips into Havoc (he does say 'I don't mean to say these things about this guy').....artwork is still the greatest thing about the channel ("Jim Cornette on Promoters Wanting To Kill Vince McMahon" is my favourite one)

Do we really need Jim Cornette's take every time on a company he has no involvement in?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This was the first wrestling show I watched all the way through in about two months. And it was great.

The opening and closing tags were fantastic (I'd love Dustin to be in a permanent tag with a young guy, he's just so fucking good at tag team wrestling) and the show in-between was solid at worst.

• Like 2

I re-watched this episode today. I enjoyed the closing segment more on the second viewing. I listened a little closer for the pops and watched for the little things like Cody mouthing "thank you" while hugging MJF, and MJF pulling away from Nick Jackson trying to check on him. The pops for MJF and Darby Allin were huge. They're both made guys right now. Although we know the MJF turn is coming, it will still be a sad day. I had goosebumps watching that segment. That's how professional wrestling is supposed to make me feel.

I hope we get another men's singles title. It would help a guy like Jimmy Havoc so much. I thought he looked fine, but I've seen elsewhere that people have said he looked lost in a non-deathmatch environment. I think his presentation is great. I love his look, entrance theme, the whole package. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This was the first wrestling show I watched all the way through in about two months. And it was great.

The opening and closing tags were fantastic (I'd love Dustin to be in a permanent tag with a young guy, he's just so fucking good at tag team wrestling) and the show in-between was solid at worst.

I want a Dustin/Hangman Page team. 

• Like 2

Dustin mentoring Darby would be interesting too. They both have a similar aesthetic and maybe Dustin can be the guy to spark Darby's faith in humanity in terms of character development. There's a pretty easy story to tell there with all of the shit Dustin's gone through in his life. Sure, Darby is straight edge but there's way more to it than substance abuse issues.

10 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Corny rips into Havoc (he does say 'I don't mean to say these things about this guy').....artwork is still the greatest thing about the channel ("Jim Cornette on Promoters Wanting To Kill Vince McMahon" is my favourite one)

He feels for JR hurting his credibility calling a Jimmy Havoc match, but he's not above taking what little money Court Bauer throws at him to call Sami Callihan matches. 

Jimmy Havoc looks like garbage and his work sucks, but I don't need Corny to tell me that.