DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

It was hot in the building. Cold outside but once we were in most everyone was taking their hoodies and jackets off. It's not a great building, TNT made it look great with their cameras though. 

Place was packed though. Only empty seats were on the hard camera side because they had cameras setup people couldn't sit in much of that middle section.

Rest was packed to the roof. 

That rating looks fine to me, even without taking baseball into consideration.  “Big premiere, then a drop off” is par for the course with TV in general these days.  Where it settles over time is what matters, and if it settles here, I think everyone will be happy.

• Like 1

Yea Ortiz was something with the tongue bit but I knew that was just because he is Loco.

Sammy on the other hand has like a weird looking lizard tongue he can’t seem to keep in his mouth longer then 5 seconds because their might be some food around he can smell with it. 

I finally got to see the opener during my time on the treadmill today, and that was a hell of a match. One of my favorite things in wrestling is the tournament match where there's a twenty-minute-or-less time limit and the psychology is that a draw is as bad as a loss, so hell, why not throw bombs at one another and try to get the win?

Owen Hart and the 1-2-3 Kid at KotR '94 is like the Form of the Good for that type of match. This one was up there for me, though. Private Party are fantastic athletes and their spots were crisp as fuck, too. 

Also, I waver on whether or not I'm super-into Chris Jericho's work at any given time, but he's pretty much effortless at being a good scumbag heel. 

46 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just assume he’s a big mark for Miley Cyrus during her nasty phase. Or this...

tenor.gif?itemid=5101595

Doing blow always gave me a serious case of the lizard tongue. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Agreed on both points. I felt like JR was a weak spot this week after not minding him too much recently. We all know it's stupid when there's obvious shit that should be a DQ, but it's his job to mask that shit as best as possible and then he can chew whomever out after the show. See what Excalibur did with it. And he's also there to hype up the talent and instead he's often calling out their gameplan as stupid or whatever. If it's part of the storyline, fine. If it's not, don't put yourself over at the expense of the talent. Why is some dumbass on his computer having to say this about somebody who's been doing it for 30+ years at the highest level? 

Yeah, all this.  It was really shameful when he did it in NJPW, but I chalked it up to him really not liking the promotion and being tired of working there.  But now he's doing it in AEW in his second week.  Unreal.

He also doesn't really get intense like he used to. Once Cold Stone was out, that part of him went with Austin. Other than being a familiar voice for so many, he doesn't really bring a whole lot to the table.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Rewatching that main event again. Dustin was on fucking fire for the final five minutes of that match. I wouldn’t mind seeing him, and Page form a team. Like how Dustin was made Barry’s protege.

This is a great idea. Page needs some seasoning and Dustin is the perfect guy to do it. Plus even though I always think of him as a singles guy Dustin has mostly been great in tag teams over the years. And once they're done teaming they can fight and that will be rad too.

• Like 5

The best thing about Jericho's promo is how he put over every single dude in the Inner Circle and made them all look like the greatest collection of talent.  I was laughing my ass off at Sammy being this "SPANISH GOD.."   look how sexy he is..    Jake HAGAR like Sammy Hagar is an undefeated MMA badass he can take out any fighter!  

I was rolling at Jericho saying these guys are all his best friends and closest confidants.  

I hate to bring it up but obviously this was all very unscripted..     he had some bullet points and then hhe went out there and freestyles.  Why can't this be a thing across all wrestling? 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 7

One issue AEW has is a lot of their fans won't get cable TV period.   I think the shows are going to get watched via the good ship reddit a lot.  As long as those folks are willing to attend local events it won't hurt them too much.  If they can draw 5-6k in Charlotte on a Wed night that's still pretty good and better than anyone else could.

I really enjoyed the show - best time I've had watching stuff in a long time.

First exposure to Darby Allin, and I'm a believer. Great call whoever mentioned the Jericho/HHH finish for next week. Hot opener, and then kinda lost its way a little bit. They're doing the right thing about trying to get eyes on their new talent but the execution isn't quite there. I've heard good things about the Best Friends, but that segment was just odd.

JR bugged me also. The "pronouns" stuff, the Leon White namedrop. He should be above that shit.

Not massively sold on The Inner Circle, it really seems like an oddly thrown together group of guys that, despite Jericho's best efforts at justifying their existence as a unit, still didn't really buy it. SCU would have been a better choice than LAX for mine. Nonetheless, it's been a fun two weeks.

I assume they're trying to make Britt Baker as unlikable as possible prior to her turning, if not, yeesh. The women's division is probably the weak spot of the shows so far - feels forced and low rent, down to the throwaway title belt in use.

15 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Not massively sold on The Inner Circle, it really seems like an oddly thrown together group of guys that, despite Jericho's best efforts at justifying their existence as a unit, still didn't really buy it. SCU would have been a better choice than LAX for mine. Nonetheless, it's been a fun two weeks.

Santana & Ortiz do feel like an odd fit in the group, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm optimistic the group will benefit everyone involved. I was thinking about it last night that LAX's spot in the group may have originally been intended for Gallows & Anderson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

RE: Tony and the Vader Bomb.

I'm pretty sure the Vader Bomb was called the Vader Bomb in 93 when Tony was calling Vader matches in WCW. Weird that he made a point of being surprised that it was called that.

Wasn't the Vader Bomb orginally his powerbomb? I thought the splash from the second rope became the Vader Bomb when Vader went to WWE.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't the Vader Bomb orginally his powerbomb? I thought the splash from the second rope became the Vader Bomb when Vader went to WWE.

Vader's powerbomb was never called the Vader Bomb...that's why Vader and Sid were called The Masters of the Powerbomb. It was always the second rope inverted jumping splash for what I recall.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, the tongue wagging thing...

My wife was kind enough to watch last night's show with me to understand what she's getting herself into when we go to the 11/27 show (man, that should be fucking awesome). We're watching the first match and she asks, "why does the blond Young Buck keep licking his lips and wagging his tongue?" I honestly really didn't have an answer to that and never noticed Nick Jackson doing that before.

Then we get the promo with the Inner Circle and Santana or Ortiz, I forget which, is just wagging his tongue like crazy. My wife also points this out and mentions that it's borderline gross, but also funny because he looks like the dumb hyena from the Lion King. AND THEN she notices Sammy licking his lips and sticking his tongue out.

It didn't stop there.

This happened all night. Not a big deal, but it was really weird to see so many wrestlers all night licking their lips and wagging their tongues. @Niners Fan in CT was it really dry in there or something? Maybe they ate a bunch of pretzels that were making them thirsty?

I needed that chuckle. Thank you both.