DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Fucking awesome show that flew by. When the main event started I had to check my watch. This is such a very well done wrestling show. Loved Private Party getting the win. Genuinely surprising. Darby is going to be a star if he doesn't cripple himself. Moxley was great, Jericho's promo shutting down the we the people chants was great, and that main event was fire.

I can't wait for next Wednesday!

• Like 12

JUST GOT HOME and I caught the last 15 minutes of the replay.   The arena is not that great looking on the inside but it seems to have come across well on TV.  

I LOVED most of the show.   The opening match,  look..  I know a lot of people don't dig the Bucks and their style including me at times BUT this match and the atmosphere around me I was ALL IN.   Private Party is amazing.  After they won they ran up through multiple sections of the crowd to celebrate,  they came right by us at one point.  They could be stars. 

The main event was awesome and I enjoyed the hell out of the post match melee.  I don't know just everything was timed perfectly leading up to Darby coming down the ramp on his skateboard.  It was great.  

We did not stick around for AEW Dark as one of my buddies has work in the morning but we did see a match from AEW Dark that was put on before the show.  

No spoilers. It was a 3-way between The Librarian/Sonny Kiss/Kip Sabian.   Sonny Kiss was way over.  The Librarian made some pretty good jokes about Boston sports. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But seriously, it’s a little ridiculous to put a lopsided bottom of the top of the 9th baseball game on TNT, and preempt your new highly rated live TV show for 10 minutes. Fucking Ted probably had “Never preempt Braves Fucking Baseball for noting” inscribed in the CNN tower.

Sorry for double post, but the Heidi game is why that never happens anymore.  In the 1960s, an AFL game was pre-empted for Heidi, and one team made a miraculous comeback and won the game by scoring 14 pts in the last minute.  The levels of anger over this were such that it's never done anymore.  It's for good reason.  Baseball has no time limit on how you can score, so you could have had the Braves somehow chock off 15 straight runs or something.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

Loved the first 40 minutes or so, but the relative newness of the promotion kinda showed over the next little while with some bad cuts, a women's match where one of the competitors seemed to have no idea whether she was heel or face (Sakura kept trying to start chants and get the crowd clapping and it was really odd and awkward), that strange Best Friends promo where neither guy seemed to know what to say with the abrupt cut to black that left the announcers puzzled.  And there were two bad camera misses in the main event section that were WWE-esque (Basically missing Page's moonsault with the cameraman spinning around trying to find him before he did the move and the angle on the Darby skateboard attack was weird and didn't maxmize the uniqueness of the move).  Basically, I liked the show this week, but didn't think it was quite as good as last week.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

iUZG6ui.gif

I noticed while watching it live that Jericho was buying time by attacking Bryce. Sounded like Darby missed his cue or something. If that’s the case, I’m honestly shocked they were able to get everything in before the hard cutoff at 10:00. 

Another thing I noticed was that Tony, and JR decided tonight was Excalibur’s first night of hazing, as they really busted his balls by having him answer rhetorical questions. Excalibur will learn eventually, but in the meantime it was fun hearing this with 30 year old ears.

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fucking awesome show that flew by.

I was thinking the same thing.  I was like, "God, that didn't feel like two hours."  They should expand to five hours or something.  Okay, maybe not.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I was really nervous when the lights went out at the end there, that we were getting Ryback. So happy it wasn’t. Crowd was crazy over that crowd went bonkers when the lights went up and he was standing there in his suit. 

I agree with everyone who has said that it’s way too early for MJF to turn place the crowd went absolutely nuts for the save. 

• Like 1

Emi Sakura not only channeling Freddie Mercury but also doing the yells that he'd have the crowd follow was by far my favorite part of the tag match.  I really need to check out more of her stuff but don't know the first place to look considering how long she's been wrestling (any help on that would be appreciated)  The show was really fun and like mentioned here just flew by.  The post-match melee made me feel like I was watching Nitro again (the good version) and I can't remember the last time being this excited after a weekly show finished.  I loved everything about that and can't wait for next week.

• Like 1

I liked me some finger biting Jimmy Havok. A great change of pace and a different mold of a competitor. Plus his promo of punching his jaw gave me the wiggles. 

Great show in total. Most of my concerns were fixed. I loved the use of promos and hype videos. 

Also, I liked Britt on this ep. Thought she brought more energy than the Dark match I complained about. Her vs Priestly will be a fun match for Full Gear. I just don’t want it for the title. Hopefully Riho keeps it and we have 2 women’s matches. 

The Inner Circle got me marking out. Jericho is such a pro on the mic. He just knows what to do and is in a class of his own within that company. Everyone involved is gonna get dat Jericho rub.

Main Event pumped me up. Hangman looked great. I always want Dustin in my main event. He’s such a pleasure to watch. Those two just pummeling Sammy G was so fun to watch. That good guys vs bad guys aftermath brawl was so simple in concept but got me so excited to get to the PPV. 

Opener got Private Party over. They have a cool look and likable gimmick. Loved them partying in the crowd. Now The Young Bucks are greed up to fight LAX. An underrated moment is that The Hybrid 2 and SCU we’re scouting in the crowd. 

I agree with @caley on being confused by Sakura being Heel then Face then Heel again. But I popped at the amount of back scratches she did. I irrationally love that cheap move.

@LoneWolf&Subs, hahaha. I noticed that! After Excalibur would say something JR and Tony would quickly joke about it. “Phalanges! You hear that, Tony?!” This will be a fun announcing group. 

Orange Cassidy is being handled well. A manager-type side figure for the meme-culture. Hands in pockets and odd thumbs up. You can tell he baffles JR, but JR recognizes that it’s over.

I want Jurassic Express on my tuuuuube! 

I liked what they did with PAC addressing what we were debating about in the other thread. But the execution was awkward and one dimensional. I like his voice, just talk about more than saying the same thing in the same tone the entire match. Interesting to have PAC attack Omega later on. It establishes who the Heel is, who the Face is, and who the Tweener is. The three of them can get jumbled up into different combinations of matches for a while while they’re waiting for a title match.

Derp.

• Like 2

Darby Allin vs Jimmy Havoc was fucking wild. I’m looking forward Allin vs Jericho.

Bucks vs Private Party was really fucking good. Party with the upset was the right move. Bucks don’t need to the straps and they’ll be champions eventually. 

Moxley vs Spears may have been my favorite match of the night. Moxley has been rejuvenated since leaving WWE. The dude without restraints has been aces.

The in ring style is so much more, what’s the word not aggressive but more combative and without restrictions than the WWE. Its a good choice to be different in-ring. 

Dynamite has been great these past two weeks I hope they can keep it up.

• Like 2

Another great episode. That Jericho promo had me rolling. The Inner Circle has a throwback feel, very Dangerous Alliance to me and I love it. Private Party continue to be awesome and now I’m referring to Matt Jackson as the Good Young Buck, he’s been bringing it.

I see what you guys are saying about the women’s division. It definitely isn’t as organized as the men’s and the matches are kind of thrown together and cold, which makes some of the reactions the women pull out of the audience even more impressive. Britt/Bea is a good start. I’d like to see someone come gunning for Riho but they need to build a couple of heels that can take the losses first. There’s the Kongs but it feels too soon for them. Maybe turn Allie? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AxB said:

I hope Ortiz stops doing that thing with his tongue though. It doesn't make him look tough, it makes him look like a sex creep or some sort of mentally challenged birth defect guy.

Holy shit my thoughts exactly.  I kept saying PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!

I really enjoyed the show.  It's so refreshing to see no backstage bullshit, mystery camera, skits, wrestlers 1/4 turned to look at a monitor while contorted to still somehow face the camera, etc.  Everything happens in the ring or arena.  Perfect.

The PWG fan in me was sad for a second that Excalibur couldn't use his normal catchphrases, then he referenced "15%" during the Bucks match and all was right with the world. 

Jericho shutting down the We the People chants was perfect.

Shit I didn't like:

Everybody needs to tighten up their kickouts.  Three matches in a row had 2.75 counts where guys kicked out AFTER the ref held up the count.

As much as I praise their non-WWE tendencies, the Hager interference was ridiculous.  I mean I once smoked a lot of weed and drank a lot of beer at the same time and lost my peripheral vision for a half hour.  What's Bryce's excuse?  And then he looked up too soon and obviously saw Hager leaving the ring.  Two weeks in a row of dumb booking prostituting refs in the main event.

Spears/Moxley went way too long.

Dynamite with a commanding victory to go 2 for 2!  I mean quality of show not ratings war.  Tremendous from start to finish!

1. The opener might have been my favorite Bucks bout.  They really helped make the PPs look legit, and the split screen to commercial was well done.  Kudos to the Bucks for showcasing their 'team player' attitudes.  The tournament is wide open now. 
2. Yeah, as everyone agrees, the Jericho promo was fantastic!  Nice to see a guy talk with ability and purpose.  He got all those boys over nicely, and the Hag-ar 'forget we the people - it's bad creative' was a perfect sell on the big guy and to all who unjustly call all former misused employees of titan sports 'wwe castoffs'.   
3. Spears looked really good again (not sure what the haters are seeing that I'm not) and nicely put over the bigger star Mox.  Moxley looked good rebounding from the injury here.  As to the speculators, I don't see Tully switching, and I don't want him too.  I want to see Tully get inside Spears head and turn his losing ways around.  Perhaps he could start by showing him the Slingshot Suplex.  Something tells me before all is said and done Spears gets a tag partner, and really puts Tully's expert knowledge to work.  As for the post-match, I didn't love seeing Omega look the fool, but the angle worked well enough. 
4. Darby-Havoc was a good solid TV bout.  Havoc surprises me.  I agree that Darby needs a few more hope spots. 
5. Orange Cassidy week after week building steam to his eventual big money superstardom.  He's going to be huge!   
6. The Women looked good - thanks in no small part to Sukura.  @Oyaji I'm in agreement that Dr. Baker needs some serious work, but she looked better here. 
7. The Main Event tag and post match shenanigans was fab-o-los! I like Page and Dustin as a team.  I like Jericho with any one of his charges, and Sammy is winning me over.  I saw a complaint about them missing Page's moonsault, but I thought it worked perfectly as this action is fast and furious 'where did Page come from'  
8. This is how you do it!  Dynomite! Simply put: give people a reason to care and want to tune in next week.  Darby skate bit screams to appeal to the young'uns.  Really looking forward to Darby-Jericho. 
8. Kinda stoked to see Omega-Janella on Dark.  
9. Great production.
10. Excellent commentary.  Tony and JR are an excellent team, and Excalibur is more than holding his own and adding much in the process.  Wrestling commentary seems to be horrible 9 times out of 10.  So I'm overjoyed with actual good insightful adding to the match commentary!  

• Like 7