DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/9/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I like how the Inner Circle is rounding into shape.  Hager has been clearly positioned as the heater, which is the perfect spot for him.  And Sammy as the obnoxious stooge is working like aces so far.  My wife already HATES him.  Santana & Ortiz need to better defined, but I assume that will come with time, now that their feud with the Bucks can heat up.

• Like 1

The nice touch to the MJF run in is at the end when the Bucks tried to thank him he completely blew them off right behind Cody's back.  Not sure how many saw that but it was the little way of showing that he may have saved Cody but he is still an asshole

Britt Baker and Shawn Spears is the AEW's version of Allure.   People who are pushed pretty hard for reasons not tied to their ability in the ring.   But that happens everywhere

Again Adam Page went from the guy pushed to be a champion to what looks to be the sacrificial lamb for Jack Swagger 

Looking forward to seeing this Janela vs Kenny Omega unsanctioned match on Dark next week.   If it is really violent it would be a good way to hype the PPV match and show that AEW isn't afraid of violence on a show.

• Like 1

I hope Ortiz stops doing that thing with his tongue though. It doesn't make him look tough, it makes him look like a sex creep or some sort of mentally challenged birth defect guy.

Also, Swaggs seems to now be Jake HAGAR, not Hager. Loved Jericho killing We The People.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Great show for week 2 and another super hot crowd all the way through. Opener was awesome. I was not really familiar with Private Party but they delivered and beating the Bucks right out the gate is huge for them. the Jericho promo was great, served a purpose, and stood out being the only promo like that on a show full of action. Not a fan of Jimmy Havoc and haven't cared much for Darby so far so wasn't feeling that match as much. Also not a fan of Orange Cassidy but the pop for him was impressive. Spears still comes off dorky from the entrance on. Moxley came off a lot more babyface tonight than before. Justin Roberts hilarious over the top Cena style intro "Jeeeeeeeeeonnnnnnn Moxley!" Post-match face off with Omega then Pac was a cool twist in their rivalry though. Womens tag was fun, dug having Emi Sakura involved. 

Main event was awesome and a total Dustin showcase there for awhile. Then the post-match was absolutely excellent. Thought Hager was used perfectly during the match just running over dudes and then Page came off better by taking it to him after the match, keeping Page looking somewhat strong despite another loss. The pop for Cody is always one of my favorite parts of the show. Looking forward to the eventual Bucks/LAX match. the pop for MJF not turning was amazing and I now never want to see him turn even more. His character of yeah he's a dick to everyone, except for his best friend, is perfect so no need to change it. Loved the commentary "He really IS Cody's friend!!!" I mentioned before that I haven't cared much for Darby but his spot in the end here was f'n cool and instantly got me more into him against Jericho. Super hype way to end the show, great stuff.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, AxB said:

I hope Ortiz stops doing that thing with his tongue though. It doesn't make him look tough, it makes him look like a sex creep or some sort of mentally challenged birth defect guy.

...And yet people here bow at the alter for the “Gigolo” Jimmy Del Rey.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

I know the long-term plan is most likely for Kenny to win the belt and carry the promotion with 5-star matches and whatnot, but Cody is SO hot right now, I think it would be a mistake not to change course on that.  He's the guy.

• Like 2

Just now, EVA said:

God bless Bea for trying to make this feud work, but Britt stinks.

Yeah, Bea is a piece of shit, but goddamnit she's winning me over in-ring. She stiffed the fuck outta Britt tonight (again), according to AEW's Twitter. I don't know why they didn't set up Bea vs Riho here, unless Bea is in Japan next week or something. Hopefully Bea interferes in that match. I like the feud, it gives Britt a little fire. If it doesn't set up some sort of stipulation match at Full Gear, I'll be disappointed. They need to have a violent, stiff match to really cement this thing. I've heard Emi Sakura is one of the best joshi in the world, but... well, that match didn't do anything to convince me of that.

Private Party vs Young Bucks went exactly how I thought it would, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't have me towards the end with some of the near falls. This tournament is totally theirs to win - or the Dark Order. Which, speaking of, I thought was the reason why the lights went out during the Best Friends + Orange Cassidy interview, but it turns out it was just Shawn Spears. ?

Cody having the lights out surprise appearance was whatever, but I was legit scared that it was going to be Ryback. Thank god. Surely sometime before Full Gear we're going to get a massive tag team match.

Cody, Dustin, Page, MJF & The Young Bucks vs Jericho, Hager, Santana, Ortiz, Guevara and a mystery partner? Maybe it's a 6-on-5 match, Inner Circle's partner "doesn't show up"... everyone assumes it's MJF of course, but towards the end, turns out it's Page. Or Dustin. One of those two - I feel like they would be more of a shock than MJF at this point since everyone expects it. I could honestly see Adam Page turning heel eventually/soon, and not aligning himself with the Inner Circle, just being an "outlaw" or whatever, doing his own thing, not caring about anyone.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Heel Page would need to hang a mother fucker, a la Dirty White Boy.

That's how he became the hangman. I believe it was Chris Sabin that was hanged. It was when Page and Adam Cole joined Bullet Club.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

...And yet people here bow at the alter for the “Gigolo” Jimmy Del Rey.

I've seen some of the most disturbing dumbass wrestling bump shit in indie wrestling that in retrospect I honestly don't even remember.

Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray's gyrations are burned in my brain as some of the most disgusting ring gestures I have ever seen.   It wasn't even a God damn bump. 

Ortiz needs to study Jimmy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just remembered Inner Circle is a band and now I want Jericho and co. to come out to "Bad Boys", just because it would be really stupid and annoying.

If you're going to get the rights for any song, this would make the most sense.

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just remembered Inner Circle is a band and now I want Jericho and co. to come out to "Bad Boys", just because it would be really stupid and annoying.

Want to make it more annoying? Have Fozzy cover it

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't know why they didn't set up Bea vs Riho here

Well one is the High Speed Champion of Stardom and the other is the World of Stardom champion. They may be trying to avoid that match while that is still the case.

Edited by Eivion

Got home just in time to see the main event on replay, and Dustin and Page utterly destroying Sammy Guevara in the opening minutes of that tag were some of the most enjoyable wrestling minutes I've had this year.

It got me hyped to see the rest of the show on demand tomorrow.

• Like 1