DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Sound & Fury, Signifying Nothing - 10/7/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, caley said:

This could also be titled Raw is Action Zone because there was a dearth of star-power -no Reigns, no Rollins, no Fiend, no New Day, no Bryan, no Sasha, no Bayley, no Owens, no Lesnar-

I couldn't quite put my finger on why this didn't feel like Raw. You did. 

I still slept through half of it and didn't pay much attention to the other

Edited by Curt McGirt

The Rey promo was pretty good though. The people who are hung up on “Rey looks bad for not directly going after a guy who is a foot taller and 100lbs heavier” are overthinking things a little. I mean, it’s wrestling, it’s not like Rey is gonna hit Brock Lesnar with a truck to get revenge.

Also, RAW is gonna be “Paul Heyman’s OVW” soon, isn’t it? Let’s get some people who aren’t doing much and develop them a little bit more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Can we really lay this all this on Vince's feet? What about Paul Heyman? He's the Executive Director of Raw. You can't tell me he had no involvement in all of this. 

Maybe we should, but then you remember Vince has done angles like these in the recent past with Cena, Roman, and now Seth where they are “Pushed to the limits of their moral code” like if their Superman or something. I know some people want the blame taken away from Vince, but Raw & Smackdown have a lot of his creative fingerprints. Maybe it’s also the writers parodying his style, but he still makes the calls at the end of creative meetings.

I started watching wrestling in 1996 and took a break from all promotions (with some exceptions like Wrestlemania) for a few years when I first started college, not because of anything on the shows but due to overall loss of interest and being busy with school and being in a band. Other than that, I've watched wrestling obsessively for 23 years and WWE has been the one constant during that time. That makes it hard to finally admit this but I'm pretty sure I will be leaving them behind. This feeling has been building over the past few months but the string of shows from Smackdown to Hell In A Cell to tonight's RAW cemented it. For everything I enjoy (honestly, over the weekend the only two things I liked were the Sasha/Becky match and the Tornado Tag) there seems to be a handful of things that are either outright bad (the main of Hell in A Cell, the Rusev stuff) or just boring (pretty much everything else on RAW). I'll probably keep up with it via the board and will cherry pick things but yeah, this is probably my last full WWE show for a while. NXT remains to be seen.

This show was just.....boring. The Last Woman Standing match highlighted the worst aspects of that stipulation. Lacey just stood there waiting for a count and that got pretty boring. It also seemed like she kept touching Natty right before the count of 10. If she'd been patient, the match would have kayfabe been over. The Rusev stuff was plain bad. Street Prophets as hype men for a show with nothing worth hyping  just don't do it for me. Kabuki Warriors are fun, I guess. The rest of the show was just lacking star power and excitement. I guess part of that is the fact that they are in a holding pattern until the draft. Not putting too much faith in them to get it right without gutting RAW to promote their shiny new toy in Smackdown on Fox (and it's weird to even think that RAW may be gutted but I think that's how it has to be).

I want to believe things are in a holding pattern until the draft is over. As they keep mentioning "FOX AND USA WANT DISTINCT AND SEPARATE BRANDS" so it makes sense they are coasting until that happens. Only thing in the mix is the stupid Saudi show. I thought the thing with Tyson and Braun was fun and dumb at the same time. It reeked of "PLEASE ESPN PLAY THIS CLIP" and they will all the while laughing about how phony it all is.

I had one crazy idea after it was over. If this is for the Saudi show then screw it, lets go balls out with Braun vs. Fury and make it the WWE's version of Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama. Give Braun a bonus check of his entire income for the next year and build it as a three round exhibition or something and just try to have the manliest fight in WWE history. The fact Fury is even here means he's willing to play ball. He gets a nice big check for his troubles too. 

The Great Asuka is my new favorite thing. I'm all for her vs. Becky or hell a continuation of her vs. Charlotte which is what they should have done last year. If Kari does the mist at some point it would be the greatest thing ever.

Poor Rusev and his cucking. But on the plus side at least he got to beat the crap out of Orton and Corbin. Despite the WWE trying their hardest, the fans love the guy no matter what.

• Like 1

Heyman&Bischoff working together would book Rey to try and run over Lesnar with a vehicle in a heartbeat. Of course he'd stop it with his sheer power, rip off the car door, drag out Rey and throw him into a flaming dumpster while Dominik looks on crying. Later on, a humvee would run Brock's rental car over and speed off and we could bring that angle back(it was driven by, I don't know, Sable.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Heyman&Bischoff working together would book Rey to try and run over Lesnar with a vehicle in a heartbeat. Of course he'd stop it with his sheer power, rip off the car door, drag out Rey and throw him into a flaming dumpster while Dominik looks on crying. Later on, a humvee would run Brock's rental car over and speed off and we could bring that angle back(it was driven by, I don't know, Sable.)

Bischoff: ...And then a white Hummer hits his limo.

Heyman: Hummer’s are hard to come by nowadays.

Bischoff: Then we can’t do it...

Heyman: Oh thank God.

Bischoff: Wait, you didn’t let me finish. Then we can’t do it with a Hummer.

Heyman: What do you suggest?

Bischoff: Give me a sec. *Presses intercom button* Sheila, call my psychiatrist.

Sheila: Oh my... Is something wrong?

Bischoff: Yes, tell him it’s urgent, and I need him now. In fact, tell him I’m coming down with Monster Truck Madness.

• Haha 1

Of all the ways to deal with the Rollins/Wyatt stuff, I have to admit I hadn't considered "just ignore it" as a likely option.

As a guy with a barely passing interest in MMA and boxing, I'm really not enjoying having two major angles run with MMA/boxing guys (especially if it's in service to Saudi Arabia).

It really is shocking how much this is starting to resemble late-era WCW, with a few hot undercard acts having to carry the weight of weekly shows and a bunch of part-timers and "celebrities" on top.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Rey promo was pretty good though. The people who are hung up on “Rey looks bad for not directly going after a guy who is a foot taller and 100lbs heavier” are overthinking things a little. I mean, it’s wrestling, it’s not like Rey is gonna hit Brock Lesnar with a truck to get revenge.

Also, RAW is gonna be “Paul Heyman’s OVW” soon, isn’t it? Let’s get some people who aren’t doing much and develop them a little bit more.

That is perfectly fine developing new characters as long as the idea to develop them a little more is NOT that they fuck someone's wife or girlfriend.  That seems to be his kink

Edited by hammerva

In my new efforts to focus on the positives of wrestling, I think the women are carrying WWE right now. Kabuki Warriors/ Becky and Charlotte was dope. I love that Kairi is already leaning into her heel run and I hope they get a new presentation, maybe add some spikes and evil notes to their entrance gear. I've been waiting for someone to work a mist gimmick again for a while so I'm stoked for that too. Asuka as the next challenger has been a long time coming and with the heel turn it gives them a fresh match too, although nobody should expect Asuka to win again (that's placed firmly in the Wouldn't It Be Cool If file).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I had one crazy idea after it was over. If this is for the Saudi show then screw it, lets go balls out with Braun vs. Fury and make it the WWE's version of Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama. Give Braun a bonus check of his entire income for the next year and build it as a three round exhibition or something and just try to have the manliest fight in WWE history. The fact Fury is even here means he's willing to play ball. He gets a nice big check for his troubles too. 

You really hate the man enough to possibly Dr. Death his whole career? 

59 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

In my new efforts to focus on the positives of wrestling, I think the women are carrying WWE right now. Kabuki Warriors/ Becky and Charlotte was dope. I love that Kairi is already leaning into her heel run and I hope they get a new presentation, maybe add some spikes and evil notes to their entrance gear. I've been waiting for someone to work a mist gimmick again for a while so I'm stoked for that too. Asuka as the next challenger has been a long time coming and with the heel turn it gives them a fresh match too, although nobody should expect Asuka to win again (that's placed firmly in the Wouldn't It Be Cool If file).

Now is totally the time for this:

DwcXrb_VsAAVKRM.jpg

Kairi can go with some kind of skull/dead pirate design.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

I would hope they keep Asuka in the tag division and turn her and Kairi into unstoppable forces who have a stranglehold on the belt.  I actually thought it was a cool visual seeing three credible tag teams in the ring when the belts have been pretty much an afterthought since Mania (and you can even add Sasha and Bayley as a fourth team wanting their titles back.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I can't help thinking they'll make Io the third member #KabukiHouseParty

Anything that means Asuka writhing and undulating dancing on my screen is ok with me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Can we really lay this all this on Vince's feet? What about Paul Heyman? He's the Executive Director of Raw. You can't tell me he had no involvement in all of this. 

Should Heyman have put this match together wanting Bray to go over knowing Vince wouldn’t let that happen? Is that what even happened? 

I’m sure we’ll eventually get Dave’s grapevine story on this and then we can proceed with the witch hunt! 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s eventually info from Heyman himself. A man of honesty.