DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel II - 10/31/2019 - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Dolfan in NYC

Just to followup - I'm seeing a lot of "well, Vince wouldn't have left if it was serious" and "what about Smackdown tonight?"

Literally, being detained against your will without cause is one of the issues we founded America against. If American citizens are not being allowed to leave a country because the corrupt government their corrupt company takes money from is detaining them against their will this is EASILY one of the worst things WWE has facilitated. It's even worse than the actual deal. I get the economics. Leaving your people behind is about the most Un-American thing possible. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Latest update - to the surprise of no one - the first flight, with folks expected to work SDL, pretty much has no chance of making it to Buffalo on time

Ric Flair should be able to fill up a segment or two on the mic, right?

also, of all the places to book a day after a show in Saudi Arabia... fucking Buffalo?

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

also, of all the places to book a day after a show in Saudi Arabia... fucking Buffalo?

To be fair - the Buffalo show was booked long before the Saudi date was finalized

The issue was the WWE put itself in the position of trying to please both of its sugar daddies

The Saudis wanted the date they wanted

FOX wanted a live Smackdown

13 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Doesn't sound like they're being detained.  PWInsider is saying that the original flight had mechanical issues, but they had to stay on the plane because if they got off it, they would have had to re-enter customs.  

The second group possibly is.  Not allowing foreign citizens to leave without cause *is* detention.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Doesn't sound like they're being detained.  PWInsider is saying that the original flight had mechanical issues, but they had to stay on the plane because if they got off it, they would have had to re-enter customs.  

That report is old, it’s since been reported as a more complicated issue since this morning.

James post reminds me - Mike Johnson had a throw away line in his story on all this that I found interesting.

Apparently FOX and/or NBC will have to approve it when the WWE wants a wrestler to appear on the other brand

By Mike Johnson on 2019-11-01 12:21:00
The word making the rounds among talents still in Saudi Arabia is that a new flight has been arranged to take them from Riyadh to the United States around 3 AM local time tonight.

That would be a full 24 hours after they were slated to leave following Crown Jewel.

I heard about this story from the main thread and came over here with two thoughts:

1. If I were talent, I'd never, ever, EVER fucking go back there. No thank you. I don't know how many shows WWE has left over there, but you'd have to fire me or put me on the shelf or make me job on whatever their throwaway C-show is before I went to KSA again.

2. I feel like they kinda wasted the title of International Incident on that IYH in Vancouver (IIRC) when that should obviously be the name of any future KSA shows that they do. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

1. If I were talent, I'd never, ever, EVER fucking go back there. No thank you. I don't know how many shows WWE has left over there, but you'd have to fire me or put me on the shelf or make me job on whatever their throwaway C-show is before I went to KSA again.

This is the thing that is most interesting to me.

Of course - I figure that they will just throw extra money at folks and most of them will accept it and go back

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

This is the thing that is most interesting to me.

Of course - I figure that they will just throw extra money at folks and most of them will accept it and go back

It's interesting. I think for another KSA show, there are two groups of guys that will go again: 

1. The tippy-top guys who don't have the pull of a Brock or Cena and thus want to protect their tippy-top spots and not rock the boat (Rollins, Reigns)

2. The low-on-the-pecking-order guys who don't sell much merch and probably need the extra money. 

If I'm comfortably in the mid-to-upper-midcard, I'm making a decent downside now because WWE threw money at me to keep me from going to New Japan or AEW, and I can sell a shirt or three, I don't see any reason to risk it, or at least that's what I thikn the mindset would be.