DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Crazy Like a FOX - 10/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Just coming online now after watching Smackdown this morning. I knew there'd be a ton of moaning about Kofi's quick loss but I wonder if the 7 second match wasn't due to Lesnar's contract? The thought popped into my head that maybe his contract doesn't require him to wrestle on TV and that this was a compromise between him and the company. "Look, we need you on this Fox show and we'd like to have the title on you for the Velasquez feud, how about wrestling one match but we'll make it quick and painless?"

I think I'm very much an outlier on here, but Lesnar is probably my favourite guy to watch on the roster. He genuinely comes across as a big deal whenever he shows up and because he's not on social media or Ride Along/other backstage stuff, he retains a kayfabe aura of being a legit tough guy and asshole that none of the other heels can even hope to achieve. His matches get shit on here too but give me a reckless and wild and sometimes brutal slugfest over overly choreographed stuff any day of the week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swiftian said:

Just coming online now after watching Smackdown this morning. I knew there'd be a ton of moaning about Kofi's quick loss but I wonder if the 7 second match wasn't due to Lesnar's contract? The thought popped into my head that maybe his contract doesn't require him to wrestle on TV and that this was a compromise between him and the company. "Look, we need you on this Fox show and we'd like to have the title on you for the Velasquez feud, how about wrestling one match but we'll make it quick and painless?"

I think I'm very much an outlier on here, but Lesnar is probably my favourite guy to watch on the roster. He genuinely comes across as a big deal whenever he shows up and because he's not on social media or Ride Along/other backstage stuff, he retains a kayfabe aura of being a legit tough guy and asshole that none of the other heels can even hope to achieve. His matches get shit on here too but give me a reckless and wild and sometimes brutal slugfest over overly choreographed stuff any day of the week.

See, this is the problem with Brock. Everything you said is true. But in all the time since he has become The Beast Incarnate after breaking The Streak, the only stories we have seen from him are (1)Brock fights a smaller, quicker opponent who takes him to the limit before Brock finally catches him and beats him down(Bryan, Styles, etc), (2) Getting caught off guard by Goldberg but coming back to flatten him in the rematch. (3) the back and forth bullshit with Roman. The dude can add to the show. But MY FUCKING GOD I am so sick of him as the champion. I am so sick of Paul's interview about "this is a spoiler" and "THE REIGNING, DEFENDING..." bullshit. There's an interesting story to be told about Brock being terrified of the one dude who fucked him up in UFC. Why do they need the belt to do it? Why can't this just be a fight over pride?  You have two legit badasses with a legitimate backstory that you can do something with. LET SOMEONE ELSE HAVE THE TITLE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Phil4126 said:

See, this is the problem with Brock. Everything you said is true. But in all the time since he has become The Beast Incarnate after breaking The Streak, the only stories we have seen from him are (1)Brock fights a smaller, quicker opponent who takes him to the limit before Brock finally catches him and beats him down(Bryan, Styles, etc), (2) Getting caught off guard by Goldberg but coming back to flatten him in the rematch. (3) the back and forth bullshit with Roman. The dude can add to the show. But MY FUCKING GOD I am so sick of him as the champion. I am so sick of Paul's interview about "this is a spoiler" and "THE REIGNING, DEFENDING..." bullshit. There's an interesting story to be told about Brock being terrified of the one dude who fucked him up in UFC. Why do they need the belt to do it? Why can't this just be a fight over pride?  You have two legit badasses with a legitimate backstory that you can do something with. LET SOMEONE ELSE HAVE THE TITLE

I want to like this post more than once.

• Like 1

I don't understand the rhetoric of how no wrestlers got over as a result of the ongoing narrative of the show.

Did anyone watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones and complain about the lack of star making moments, or how one of the lower cast members didn't get elevated so they can have their own show elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I don't understand the rhetoric of how no wrestlers got over as a result of the ongoing narrative of the show.

Did anyone watch Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones and complain about the lack of star making moments, or how one of the lower cast members didn't get elevated so they can have their own show elsewhere?

Actually, yeah, I have. Sometimes strong characters are hurt by incredibly bad writing, as seen in GoT. When it happens, fans let them know that “so, and so wouldn’t have done so, and so”. I watched Zeta Gundam recently, and a character that I sort of liked turned heel for extremely childish reasons out of nowhere. Wrestling is no different. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Actually, yeah, I have. Sometimes strong characters are hurt by incredibly bad writing, as seen in GoT. When it happens, fans let them know that “so, and so wouldn’t have done so, and so”. I watched Zeta Gundam recently, and a character that I sort of liked turned heel for extremely childish reasons out of nowhere. Wrestling is no different. 

That's perfectly valid, and I agree with you, but does it take away from your overall opinion of the show?

If I thought Breaking Bad was 10/10, I'm not downgrading it to a 9 because Flynn did nothing more than eat breakfast, or thinking less of GOT because they could have done more with Rickon.

• Like 1

This is kind of an interesting analogy jsut in terms of figuring out if it holds up.  Imagine if a scripted dramatic show went on as long as WWF/WWE has been popular, like almost 40 years now. And somehow it both had periods of massive success and periods where it survived despite losing maybe half of its audience and collapsing down to a core of viewers...but then coming back again and then cycling down again.

And fans today of that show could look back at multiple casts and leads and how they developed from minor characters to major protagonist and then left and were replaced by somebody else.  AND those fans were heavily invested in the mainstream success of the product, reminiscing about the boom periods when they're favorite show was a big deal and they remember what got it there and what went wrong.

Is there anything comparable?  Maybe CSI but that's only 14 years total or L&O with multiple "eras" and leads but that's essentially an episodic show without a ton of narrative long-term storylines for recurring characters.  I imagine, though, that among the diehard base fans of that show there was complaining when a lont-term secondary character was misused or ignored in favor of a newcomer (maybe Ted Danson or Lawrence Fishburn on CSI).

i'm not sure there's something that compares enough to make the BB or GoT analogy. Those shows are short-term dramas designed from the start to tell the story of one person and a few people around them.

If it significantly changed the direction of the show in a negative way, then yes it’ll hurt my opinion of the show overall. I feel like Breaking Bad is one of the top to bottom greatest programs. So even if there were some missteps along the way, none of them really hurt the entire story the show was trying to tell. Game of Thrones on the other hand botched a number of characters actions that it retroactively ruined the first 3 great seasons. It might’ve even hurt a couple of actors who were being seen as future stars.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So does anyone with some knowledge of soap fandom know if people go nuts over who is getting "used well" or which storylines are being blown?  I know they sell magazines about them and the behind the scenes stuff.  Are people like "Eric Braedon keeps burying any new heel with any heat and it's killing the show? But they're just going to keep shoving Victor down our throats I guess!"

• Like 1

Soaps in UK have definitely suffered from snarky reviews on newspaper and TV loling at the storylines and characters. I don't really keep up with that stuff, but broadly yeah I think you do get stuff like that - maybe not exactly like that, but kinda.

Both the soaps I mentioned (there are others obviously) were 2 episodes a week until well into the 1990s. Then they started adding epidodes - I think they both have 4 a week I now. This lead to a significant reduction in quality, and reliance on plot devices that enabled them to essentially book feuds and have top heels.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

4 minutes ago, piranesi said:

So does anyone with some knowledge of soap fandom know if people go nuts over who is getting "used well" or which storylines are being blown?  I know they sell magazines about them and the behind the scenes stuff.  Are people like "Eric Braedon keeps burying any new heel with any heat and it's killing the show? But they're just going to keep shoving Victor down our throats I guess!"

Oh my God, I remember years ago when my sister would watch, she hated when Todd on All My Children turned heel after being babyface for a bit. She stopped watching after that. 

On another front, some people couldn’t stand that Gohan was de-pushed in favor of Goku after the Perfect Cell arc.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 10/4/2019 at 11:30 PM, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Anyway people are overlooking the best news of the night, NO MORE SHANE. 

PlainGraveBighorn-size_restricted.gif

On 10/4/2019 at 11:30 PM, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Anyway people are overlooking the best news of the night, NO MORE SHANE. 

PlainGraveBighorn-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Edwin
Double post, sorry, but that's so good I don't mind posting twice.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Absolutely. Y&R fans got tired of Victor killing the Genoa City territory, though he works tweener when not heel, he rarely goes full face.

They may be remedying that--with his recently returned son Adam, who is going to be the new Victor in due time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I saw Zeta Gundam years ago when I watched anime daily and I think I know what you're talking about. And I felt the same way about it you did. That sort of thing is why I could never get into TV Gundam shows. But that example was one of the silliest ones they've done for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Absolutely. Y&R fans got tired of Victor killing the Genoa City territory, though he works tweener when not heel, he rarely goes full face.

They may be remedying that--with his recently returned son Adam, who is going to be the new Victor in due time.

Days of Our Lives consistently ran with the same storylines, always going back to the well with the Stefano vs John Black, sure you had guys get the rub as their proxys, sons, 2IC, etc but they would always be demoted back to who the real stars were.

You always had minor characters given that Horton and Brady rub but never really did anything but be background characters.

60 years later, the show continues irrespective of its lack of star making moments or willingness to elevate new talent. Shit, they only stopped bringing up Stefano after the actor died IRL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2