DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Crazy Like a FOX - 10/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

37 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I was at the show last night and two things are very clear to me:

1. They need to put the title on Roman eventually because he Is the biggest non-MMA star full time wrestler on the show.

Really? Becky seemed like the most over full time talent going off of reactions on tv. Owens was getting more cheers as well.

30 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

It seems weird that they've kept Roman away from the title now that fans are unwilling to shit on him. It's almost like it was to troll the audience all along. ?

Roman gets generally positive reactions because he isn't the center of attention or going after the world title. There is a good chance the audience would start rejecting him again if they pushed forward with him in the title picture.

Well as much as Rollins seems to have the majority of the fans in arenas on his side, his quarter-hour ratings have been the lowest on the shows for a while now, which suggests to me the general consensus is Seth isn't the guy. It's almost like fans are impulsive and don't really know what they want.

Roman should have been inserted into the title picture right here - 

screen-shot-2019-02-26-at-08-08-09-1024x

I know it's a ghoulish thing to say, but his illness and recovery would have been the perfect lead-in to regaining his title, with the added bonus of having (for the most part) fervent fan support. Instead we got some insane Shield shit and Vince feeding Ambrose lines exploiting Roman's illness that ultimately lead to Ambrose leaving the company. Funny that.

• Like 1

I HATED this show.  I seriously couldn’t even watch it through and leaned heavily on that FF button.  

I’ve enjoyed Smackdown for the last while but this was just a second-rate Raw.  And the booking was so lousy and counter-productive:

-Here’s Becky getting the rub from The Rock by standing by and letting him get his moves in, ending on his catchphrase while she stands by like a fan   

-Here’s the virtually unstoppable Viking Raiders getting swatted aside by Erick Rowan single-handedly then he gets pinned by Roman.  “How can they stop this dangerous team” Uh, because they haven’t pinned Roman once?

-Here’s the nigh unstoppable Strowman getting ready to get punked by a boxer. 

-Here’s the long-standing Universal champion getting squashed in seconds by the parttime guy to set up a feud with another part time guy while Rey stands by like his admiring son.  No actual wrestler will get over in this scenario.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, caley said:

Here’s Becky getting the rub from The Rock by standing by and letting him get his moves in, ending on his catchphrase while she stands by like a fan   

This has been a problem with Seth too. He looks more like a fan than a champion when he fawns over Hogan and Austin. It's awful. 

Minor highlight I haven't seen mentioned: Bryan was great on commentary. He broke his storyline down simply and concisely for any new viewers. Not that it surprises anyone that Bryan is good at everything. 

• Like 4

I respect Kofi Kingston for being such an unselfish company man, but I think this is also probably the reason why he only became world champion 11 years after his WWE debut. Sometimes, I wish guys like Kofi weren't this nice and unselfish. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Really? Becky seemed like the most over full time talent going off of reactions on tv. Owens was getting more cheers as well.

Roman gets generally positive reactions because he isn't the center of attention or going after the world title. There is a good chance the audience would start rejecting him again if they pushed forward with him in the title picture.

It came across as forced and desperate the way he was pushed before now they are consciously keeping him out of the title picture. 

It occurred to me last night that a year ago I wouldve imagined Bryan as a heel, and just when I thought I get to see a Bryan vs Roman feud , they switch gears and turn him Babyface again. Now Bryan is the cheesy Babyface that Roman was earlier on.  At least Roman comes across as more of a badass Face this time around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Do you honestly think there were a significant amount of adults watching that show yesterday who were watching pro wrestling for the first time? 

Yes. 2.7 for.raw. 2mil for AEW with the repeat and canada.  900k for nxt. 4 million for smackdown?. I understand the curiosity, and The Rock, the most electrifying man in all entertainment, but the second.hour didnt fall off much, so who.are the extra 1.3? The damn numbers game...

6 minutes ago, Bigbosseli said:

Yes. 2.7 for.raw. 2mil for AEW with the repeat and canada.  900k for nxt. 4 million for smackdown?. I understand the curiosity, and The Rock, the most electrifying man in all entertainment, but the second.hour didnt fall off much, so who.are the extra 1.3? The damn numbers game...

That in no way suggests there was a large amount of people watching wrestling for the first time. I'm not saying there weren't some people who hadn't watched in a while, or hadn't watched that regularly - but you are putting two and two together and making oranges.

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think a Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar program is fine, but it really doesn't need the WWE Championship involved. 

I suspect that making the match non-title probably wouldn't make people happy if their problem involves Brock holding the title. But there's a pretty obvious on-screen reason for it to be non-title, because Cain "hasn't defeated any top WWE superstars" or maybe because "it's about more than the title"

Ok, maybe not watching for the first time, but Friday beat Wednesday 's shows combined,  and monday.

Raw september: 2.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2

Smackdown September: 1.8, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1

So either The Rock drew and held 2 million more, or millions more.had access

Edited by Bigbosseli
And millions

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I think a Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar program is fine, but it really doesn't need the WWE Championship involved. 

The goal of any sport is to win titles, without titles they're meaningless. Combat sports have exploited personal feuds for a millennia, but often they are fighting for a title or at the vest least fighting to improve their rank towards a title shot. With FOX wanting a more realistic sports feel to the show, I see the logic in Brock being the champion and Cain as the challenger. If the brand's champion is playing second fiddle to the other guys, then the title is merely a prop and not worth a shit. 

10 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

The goal of any sport is to win titles, without titles they're meaningless. Combat sports have exploited personal feuds for a millennia, but often they are fighting for a title or at the vest least fighting to improve their rank towards a title shot. With FOX wanting a more realistic sports feel to the show, I see the logic in Brock being the champion and Cain as the challenger. If the brand's champion is playing second fiddle to the other guys, then the title is merely a prop and not worth a shit. 

Sort of like Brock Lesnar beating the reigning champion and squashing him like a bug in 9 seconds. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

I actually see it as a Dusty/NWA title thing. Dusty often portrayed himself above the title, but why is it a bad thing to have to draws? Cena was always above the title, no matter what.

20 minutes ago, Bigbosseli said:

Ok, maybe not watching for the first time, but Friday beat Wednesday 's shows combined,  and monday.

Raw september: 2.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2

Smackdown September: 1.8, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1

So either The Rock drew and held 2 million more, or millions more.had access

Wasn't Austin and Taker booked to show up. Maybe people were expecting to see them too. I'd like to know what they would've drew without the legends promoted. I'm sure they'll use Austin and Taker at some point though.