DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Crazy Like a FOX - 10/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Dave is saying that Cain/Brock is headlining Crown Jewel. 

Weird, you’d think that would mean he’s one, and done if they do this match so soon. If the match ends in a no contest, then that would be awful, especially if your competition promises matches that have clear winners, and losers.

On Kofi... Here’s the thing, Kofi as he is now isn’t really fit to be champion. That’s not on him, that’s on the company. After Wrestlemania they could’ve pulled him to the side, and said “Kofi we’re going to see if we can do something with this experiment”. Sure they let the reign ride, but others have said, this was a long temporary reign until the Smackdown FOX debut. If they wanted to give Kofi a real chance, they would’ve given him an overall makeover with new gear, new music, and maybe separate him more from The New Day. They didn’t, so this is what we end up with, a championship reign ending in 7 seconds because they don’t know how to time a show out to give the champion a better ending.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Corbin played that whole STD bit wrong, he should have been like “yeah, I AM a super tough dude” and lapped it up.  Come out wearing a Super Tough Dude t-shirt for the next few weeks. 

Instead he just stood there looking mildly displeased.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thank fuck. I like Shane the person but glad to see him off TV for however long. He ended up being a channel changer quickly which is strange considering I liked his heel shit years ago. 

My thought was that he'll be moved to RAW soon. I dont think they want to be heavy with the Mcmahons every week on FOX. 

I was expecting Brock to give Kofi the same amount of offense he gave Finn in less time. The entire segment didn't make it much of a problem to me. Either way Kofi is a bigger star than before he got slotted into title picture. I  see New Day going to RAW, I think Heyman will use them well.

The thing is, Kofi had one good performance and parlayed that into a Mania feel good moment then got an unremarkable 6 month reign out of it.  No one cared really since Mania.  The only reason this is an issue is because it's Brock and "Fuck WWE'.  It could've went 20 minutes and the reactions would be the same.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The thing is, Kofi had one good performance and parlayed that into a Mania feel good moment then got an unremarkable 6 month reign out of it.  No one cared really since Mania.  The only reason this is an issue is because it's Brock and "Fuck WWE'.  It could've went 20 minutes and the reactions would be the same.  

Nah, man. Kofi going down swinging after 20 minutes would’ve been amazing. I expected Brock to win, it’s just a lame way to get there.

• Like 4

Remember when Brock got squashed by Goldberg in 5 seconds and everyone loved it? I do, and that’s why I didn’t mind Kofi getting squashed. Would I have loved for Kofi to have his reign ended in a better way? Of course, but I’m the end he’s not gonna lose any heat and honestly, he’ll be more fun to watch chasing the title. 

• Like 1

Brock Lesnar was a heel who got cocky and was subsequently speared out of his boots. I didn't love it tbh, but I appreciate that it recreated a star and created a big moment.

Kingston losing in 7 seconds didn't achieve anything obvious. Personally I think he will lose heat, and I don't think he'll be chasing any top titles unless he's turning heel - which I honestly think is the only way to go after something like that. I hope they make something of it, I really do. But anyone who trusts WWE with anything like that hasn't been watching very carefully over the last 15 years to put it mildly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That's almost double from last week?

Everyone has FOX,  a lot of people cut cable and The Rock was there + curiosity.    It's good that the second hour didn't fall off a cliff.   Next week will be the draft so maybe the drop won't be too harsh.   Week 3 will be interesting. 

Set looks awesome.

loved Rock/Corbin/Becky

there is much negativity here in this thread amongst the hardcores, but for the millions (...and millions) of people without cable or the network, who could have watched pro wrestling for the first time yesterday I think the show came off well. The overnights just came in, 4 million. so, if you're not going to watch any more, the mcmahons are headed to the pay windah regardless of our 9.99 a month. It is a business, after all...

5 minutes ago, nofuture said:

The big thing coming from the ratings it that Smackdown killed in the important 18-34 demographics, pretty much five times anything else on.  Friday's is pretty much 50 and over people watching.

I’ve noticed with NXT, AEW, and now Smackdown that those demos have apparently risen. Could be a good sign for wrestling in general.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Cain Velasquez is American. UFC wanted him to be their big draw in Mexico, but hit a bit of a snag when the Mexican fans realised he didn't speak a word of Spanish (whilst his Brazilian opponent Fabricio Werdum spoke Spanish fluently, and lived in Mexico City doing media every day for a month and a half ahead of the fight).

“Wait, a Brazilian guy can speak Spanish too?” seems about right for fight promoter understandings of the outside world.

This might be too complex of a story to tell but They probably could emphasize how the similar family backgrounds of Rey and Cain led them to become friends and led Cain to offer to come to the WWE to help Rey (instead of the “Rey got Cain to come to the WWE” idea that one of the posters in this thread disliked)

Covering up a double post here:

guessing that since JR is in AEW (and because of basic sense), yelling “that’s gotta be Cain” as he walked out was discouraged.

also, looking forward to people citing FOX ratings in comparison to cable ratings without realizing that FOX should always crush TNT in the ratings.

Edited by Cobra Commander

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just thought about this: sure Shane got fired... but it was on Smackdown. They have another show on another channel. 

Or he could just go fuck up NXT to really piss people off

“NXT needs a McMahon for the ratings”

Could have him show up wearing a mask

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Bigbosseli said:

there is much negativity here in this thread amongst the hardcores, but for the millions (...and millions) of people without cable or the network, who could have watched pro wrestling for the first time yesterday I think the show came off well. The overnights just came in, 4 million. so, if you're not going to watch any more, the mcmahons are headed to the pay windah regardless of our 9.99 a month. It is a business, after all...

Do you honestly think there were a significant amount of adults watching that show yesterday who were watching pro wrestling for the first time? 

It's good that they popped a rating given everything they poured into it. Next week is the draft, and after that half the roster disappears to RAW. And you probably don't have Brock and the other combat sports guys. And people get used to the admittedly nice set. And it's Friday, so getting young people to tune in *consistently* is difficult. I think it's going to be challenging for them to be quite honest. Yesterday was event TV, not episodic television.

12 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

two former world champions and the current tag team champions being in a match where they might as well be in the audience, since someone in the audience gets all the attention

Oh how quickly we forget.

Orton, AJ, Miz, Zigger = Four former world champions.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

On Kofi... Here’s the thing, Kofi as he is now isn’t really fit to be champion. That’s not on him, that’s on the company. After Wrestlemania they could’ve pulled him to the side, and said “Kofi we’re going to see if we can do something with this experiment”. Sure they let the reign ride, but others have said, this was a long temporary reign until the Smackdown FOX debut. If they wanted to give Kofi a real chance, they would’ve given him an overall makeover with new gear, new music, and maybe separate him more from The New Day. They didn’t, so this is what we end up with, a championship reign ending in 7 seconds because they don’t know how to time a show out to give the champion a better ending.

I get the sense that group doesn't want to be separated. So that throws a potential wrench in that.

They're probably also seen as more of an asset together.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2