DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Crazy Like a FOX - 10/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

28 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

That was an otherwise good show up until Brock vs. Kofi. Okay, I understand them wanting to do Brock vs. Cain. But you know, they could have had Cain come out for the distraction and Kofi hits a Trouble In Paradise. He gets the win. They still can do the Brock/Rey/Cain angle and everyone is more or less happy.

Wasn't The Undertaker supposed to be on the show tonight or did I miss him when flipping back to the Yankees game?

I'm too lazy to see if anyone said what I'm about to say but I fucking HATED this show until the end.  Show starts with verbal McMahon masturbation, wasting Rock on King Corbin, the Universal champion getting thrown off the stage and completely ignored the rest of the show, Kevin Owens being treated like a total loser against a guy who sucks wind after doing ANYTHING (better make a McMahon look strong), two former world champions and the current tag team champions being in a match where they might as well be in the audience, since someone in the audience gets all the attention, a lumberjack match that makes anybody under six feet into a complete nobody....and then the worst shit of all...

Brock Lesnar has to look like a scared little bitch.  NOBODY in UFC who is anybody does that.  EVER.   There is a way to make Brock look unstoppable but seriously, give him a glance or a slight look of shock to at least undermine things.  This "I've just SHIT MY PANTS!" is goddamn 70s Scooby Doo shit.  I can see why Seth beat Brock since Brock is now terrified of guys who are in clearly worse shape than them too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Finishing watching this..  admittedly I had to fast-forward through some I had no interest in whatever Seth/Nakamura were about to do (Sami Zayn had me dying though lol ) and I had little interest in the lumberjack stuff.  

As a standalone show was this entertaining?   Yes,  I will say that.  I thought the set looked AWESOME and I really liked everything about the presentation.  

I also enjoyed the ladder match and the women's match for what they were.    

Shit,  I even liked the Tyson Fury stuff with Braun.   I was a big fan of the Big Show and Mayweather feud.  Fury is an entertaining guy.  

I'm not even down on Cain coming in the fight Brock..  they have a history,  it's a good program.  

But as others have said..   This show right here made nearly everyone who appeared on it look second rate and by the end all I could think about were how The Rock,  Tyson Fury,  Brock and Cain are STARS....  

...  and pretty much everyone else doesn't matter at all.   Here's the problem.  None of those motherfuckers I just mentioned are going to be on every week.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am just picturing a meeting between Vince and the FOX execs where it is like "OKAY PAL IF YOU LET US PUT THE MEXICAN IN THE MAIN WE WILL PROMOTE TYRUS"

Who I thought was fired from Fox Nation because he was being all rapey to the women over there in text messages.  

It's Fox News. Sexually harassing just one woman doesn't even get you a "tsk, tsk". 

Anyways, this show sucked. Rocky never needs to bring his tired-ass act back if that's the best we're going to get. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I'm too lazy to see if anyone said what I'm about to say but I fucking HATED this show until the end.  Show starts with verbal McMahon masturbation, wasting Rock on King Corbin, the Universal champion getting thrown off the stage and completely ignored the rest of the show, Kevin Owens being treated like a total loser against a guy who sucks wind after doing ANYTHING (better make a McMahon look strong), two former world champions and the current tag team champions being in a match where they might as well be in the audience, since someone in the audience gets all the attention, a lumberjack match that makes anybody under six feet into a complete nobody....and then the worst shit of all...

Brock Lesnar has to look like a scared little bitch.  NOBODY in UFC who is anybody does that.  EVER.   There is a way to make Brock look unstoppable but seriously, give him a glance or a slight look of shock to at least undermine things.  This "I've just SHIT MY PANTS!" is goddamn 70s Scooby Doo shit.  I can see why Seth beat Brock since Brock is now terrified of guys who are in clearly worse shape than them too.

You say this like it's a bad thing...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I was saying it was good just from a general viewing perspective. If I looked at it from a storytelling standpoint, the whole show was terrible. It did nothing to advance anyone. 

Like for starters every time Becky Lynch is about to go toe to toe with some guy, some other guy has to come out and save her. Enter The Rock. Now it was a fun bit, but I'm sure there was someone else who could have been a punching bag for them.

I could pick out the bad in every single segment. But sometimes I wanna just watch and enjoy it for what it is. I did get a good laugh from the DVDVR twitter account saying how there will probably be FCC complains because of the Firefly Funhouse bit. 

Just now, Phantom Lord said:

I could pick out the bad in every single segment. But sometimes I wanna just watch and enjoy it for what it is. I did get a good laugh from the DVDVR twitter account saying how there will probably be FCC complains because of the Firefly Funhouse bit. 

Family Guy's best song. I know the lyrics.

• Like 1

I may have some more thoughts about the overall show tomorrow (today in my time zone). They made a point to present Roman and Charlotte really well. From their eye-catching entrances to cool spots in their matches to how commentary praised them, they were made to feel like stars. I think they did a good job with Becky, but I can see how The Rock coming out felt like she was being rescued when she didn't need it. Obviously Brock, Cain and Tyson are treated as big deals. It seems like we have the directive going forward as to who will get the lion's share of publicity for SD going forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Kofi having some sort of pre-existing condition going into a match with Brock where he gets flash-pinned probably would have been a solid idea too.

But yeah, Tyson Fury is gonna sing on RAW and Vince will react like when he saw Kurrgan dance.

If Fury can recreate the Batman and Joker showdown he did years ago, I don't think WWE could be anymore timely.

106053275b1b3142202d39d80a51894c.png&qua

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've only read a recap and watched YouTube highlights but if I could delete one guys career from pro wrestling it would be Lesnar.

I wish he went straight to MMA or became a football star.

Dude is almost single handedly responsible for Vince deciding that "The BRAND is the Star" and watering down anyone who wasn't a locked in, yes sir, WWE lifer.

Now he walks in and out as he likes, winning titles and doing NOTHING to elevate anyone.

What was the point of Rollins beating him if he was just going to turn around and squash Kofi? Why not save the MITB case and do it that way?

Whydoes Rey want to call up Cain? Is he not man enough to step up to Brock himself? Hasn't his whole WWE career been built on fighting big bully types?

Its the same as Balor going to NXT. Great moment but what's the character motivation for doing that? Is he afraid of The Fiend? Can he not summon The Demon for at least 1 rematch to try and restore some pride? Or do we just sweep that away because "Hey hey, don't watch AEW, we have Finn Balor on NXT!"?

I mean honestly... They aren't even trying any more. Its just booking for a series of "moments" that get people talking before any serious thought reveals how badly it's been done.

By the time people are on board with the issues another "moment" rolls along and its onto the next...

• Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I've only read a recap and watched YouTube highlights but if I could delete one guys career from pro wrestling it would be Lesnar.

I wish he went straight to MMA or became a football star.

If you're that adamant, we will trade you Colby Covington for Brock Lesnar straight up. I mean you got Cain now. That will fill your ex UFC heavyweight champion from several years ago quota.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This show- I liked some aspects of it, but they reminded me , and I was ok with treating Corbin as a geek (Especially since Becky got to get some licks in), but the end reminded me why I never want to give WWE any more time or attention again.  I won't be watching next week.  I'd rather watch a Marco Stunt on a pole match than WWE treating folks like geeks who deserve better and pushing guys like Lesnar down my throat.

They ruined about 70-80 minutes of mostly good work in 10 seconds.  I'd have been ok with Kofi losing if he got some good offense and Brock looked like he earned that title.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

this being Vince and the WWE, they probably see it more as "Rey can call up some Mexicans to fight Brock Lesnar"

Cain Velasquez is American. UFC wanted him to be their big draw in Mexico, but hit a bit of a snag when the Mexican fans realised he didn't speak a word of Spanish (whilst his Brazilian opponent Fabricio Werdum spoke Spanish fluently, and lived in Mexico City doing media every day for a month and a half ahead of the fight).

Must have been an unfamiliar feeling for Tyson Fury, being in an arena in America and knowing most of the fans there actually paid for their tickets.