DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Crazy Like a FOX - 10/4/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I think we have seen, even in MMA fights, that the most experienced fighters screw up their strategies and get caught from the bell. There is more juice in Kofi acknowledging that, moving to Raw and redeeming himself, than being completely decimated for 10 minutes before being F-5'd 10 times. Of course I have no confidence that creative will do any kind of follow-up worthy of his story and fully expect him to transition back into mid-card New Day theatrics. It is what it is. 

The optics of Lesnar and Cain in a WWE ring must have made Dana's head explode. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It amuses me that a guy with a BROWN POWER tattoo ended up the headliner of the first Fox show.

(technically it's Brown Pride, which is slightly less menacing)

Fortunately Smackdown is not in the same media family as MTV, so there won't be a "How Far is Tattoo Far" match between Cain and Brock.

7 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

There is more juice in Kofi acknowledging that, moving to Raw and redeeming himself

So basically you have to put him over a bunch of guys now? Er, THEY JUST DID THAT!

Seems inefficient tbh. And unlikely.

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

So basically you have to put him over a bunch of guys now?

Seems inefficient tbh. And unlikely.

Well I have a feeling as amazing as this sounds but RAW is going to be a C level show.  It will be interesting to see the type of people who move to RAW and off the main network.  I mean we know Becky will off the RAW brand based on tonight.  

Edited by hammerva

Honestly dug the show a good deal until that bs with Kofi/Brock. Its kind of exactly what I feared with Kofi getting squashed with ease. I don't really follow MMA much so Cain/Brock doesn't have a ton of my interest.

Even with that bs I enjoyed the show.

The opening segment with Becky, Corbin, & Rock was great. 

The 4HW tag was good.

Dug the FFH segment and later Fiend attack.

Ladder match was a fun garbage match with the right winner and didn't go super long.

Roman/Rowan was super fun. Loved Ali getting powerbombed into Roman.

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

kinda tells you what you need to know about heavyweight boxing in 2019 that this will be overshadowed pretty quickly.

Yeah, I hit Google as soon as he jumped the barricade. Not sure if that says more about me or boxing.

At least he looked more impressive visually than Cain. 

He's very tall. 6'9" boxing height vs 6'1" for Cain.

Anyway, New Day is being split up. Kofi to RAW, Big E stays on Smackdown, Xavier to NXT/205 Live because WWE hates money.

Saw the first segment and skipped to the end. Tempted as it may be to bitch about it or bring up AEW I think more than anything I'm just glad he didn't lose the title to Orton. I don't like Bork but this is the direction they're going and it makes storyline sense.  But Kofi had a helluva run and it doesn't take anything away from the last few months he's had. 

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Well I have a feeling as amazing as this sounds but RAW is going to be a C level show.  It will be interesting to see the type of people who move to RAW and off the main network.  I mean we know Becky will off the RAW brand based on tonight.  

Oh great, so Kofi's going to take an entire brand to C level so he can 'redeem' himself. Some lit fantasy booking going on here.

Okay I'm being a dick, but there's no point of pushing someone if you're going to just chump them out. People are trying to justify the unjustifiable. There were ways of protecting him, and thus protecting the guys he beat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Kofi is once again proof that you should never under any circumstances ever get over on your own accord in this company.

A six month title reign is pretty strong, though?

EDIT: I will say, if they were going to go with the flash F-5, I wish Kofi would've been mid-wind up for Trouble in Paradise instead of just kinda jumping at him. Like, both of them just going for broke.

Edited by steve
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

UFC has now created more WWE stars than NXT has.

Kofi had one of the worst title reigns in history. In a different era the belt would have been taken off him five months ago.

Not like they tried very damn hard in either case.

2 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Oh great, so Kofi's going to take an entire brand to C level so he can 'redeem' himself. Some lit fantasy booking going on here.

Okay I'm being a dick, but there's no point of pushing someone if you're going to just chump them out. People are trying to justify the unjustifiable. There were ways of protecting him, and thus protecting the guys he beat.

I am not really trying to justify the unjustifiable.  It was complete bullshit.   But it is kind of like the story about the man who becomes friends with a snake and then is surprised that the snake bit the person and the snake responds with "I am a snake what did you expect".  That is kind of how I saw this whole thing.   They booked it like most people thought they would book it as bullshit as it really was. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yeah, I hit Google as soon as he jumped the barricade. Not sure if that says more about me or boxing.

At least he looked more impressive visually than Cain. 

yeah, the thing with Fury is that he's more known than all the Russian/Soviet Bloc HWs who only fought in Germany. But also since this is boxing, Fury's big win came nearly 3 years ago, and was followed up by him putting on a bunch of weight, spraining his ankle, getting dinged for using cocaine, and he didn't fight between November 2015 and June 2018. Then once he got a fight in the US, it was a draw against Wilder that people felt Fury won.

So technically Fury doesn't hold any of the HW titles, but he also never lost any of his titles in the ring.. the champions are Deontay Wilder (WBC) and Andy Ruiz (IBF/WBO/WBA Super).

That being said, Fury would mean a lot more if the show was in a more British place than Los Angeles.

One thing is for sure, if Seth was in Kofi's position, that match was going a little longer than 7 seconds or whatever. Kofi's 6-month run was a Gold Watch reign, the conclusion is proof of that. He was never booked as the guy. He was a placeholder until the FOX move. 

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick
  • Like 2

Reminder that they’re two days out from HIAC and have three matches booked. Three. 

On a more positive note,  I thought it was nice having the opening segment about Becky and the opening tag match giving Charlotte spotlight. They’ve both been central in Fox’s advertising/promotion so it felt fitting.