DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2019-20: PERIOD 1

Dolfan in NYC

Hey, don't look now, but Detroit has won three straight, coinciding with the addition of Robby Fabbri to the lineup. He's got a point in all three. Last night's win was over the Ducks. Detroit scored on a 6-on-3 power play (goalie pulled) to tie it late then scored in OT to win. 

I expect a 10-game losing streak to quickly follow. 

Kenny Holland all over that list, dropping $50m on $8m worth of hockey players. 

And, in a move that surely caused Holland to run pants-free in the streets of Edmonton... Detroit recalled Jonathan Ericsson from the minors. 

Oh I'm fully aware Holland is all over that list, believe me.

I love how almost the only thing he did in Edmonton this offseason was work on the bottom six forwards, which has produced like 3 scoring chances between them in 20 games. He also sent Caleb Jones to the minors to "over-ripen" (note: Over ripe food is literally inedible, someone tell this man) when Caleb Jones could actually die and probably still break even with Brandon Manning.

Then again he also somehow got rid of Lucic for James Neal which is... something. 

The Oilers are so weird, in that McDavid and Draisaitl are actually so good they defy a ton of normal, correct team sports logic. If the goaltending is even average, which it has been so far, absolutely nothing else really matters in evaluation. It's so dumb.

Word out of Toronto is that Babcock "lost the room" years ago when Mitch Marner was a rookie. It seems that Babcock asked Marner to rank his teammates, in order, on the basis of work ethic and effort. Marner, for whatever reason, did it. Babcock then released the list of names to the team. As you might imagine, that caused a gigantic rift. 

And Babs apparently did the same nonsense in Detroit. 

No clue why Babcock would do any of this. 

If you haven't watched it, find the Mickey Redmond Roast on behalf of the Jamie Daniels Foundation. The Toronto radio announcer is one of the roasters and spends his time ragging on Babcock. The best line is that people can stay for autographs from Babcock because he'll stay as long as it takes to make sure Henrik Zetterberg leaves first (they had a big feud). 

Chris Chelios - not a guy I'd consider particularly reliable - is now saying that Mike Babcock berated Johan Franzen into a legit nervous breakdown during a playoff series. 

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Chris Chelios - not a guy I'd consider particularly reliable - is now saying that Mike Babcock berated Johan Franzen into a legit nervous breakdown during a playoff series. 

I know as a Wings fan you had to throw in the smarmy comment about Chelios (who I personally have very little respect for after reading his book and him bragging about intentionally trying to injure opposing players) but after everything that has come out do you really think he's telling a porker here?

Let's just say I'm doubtful he's being 100% honest.  I thought he was trash before he was in Detroit and hated that the Wings acquired him. He's never struck me as a particularly honest person. He once threatened Gary Bettman's life publicly. And he's well-known for having a grudge against Babcock because Babs stopped playing him when he could no longer get it done.

So, yeah, color me skeptical. Do I think Babcock was hard on Franzen? Sure. The Mule was lazy and would disappear for weeks at a time. So I think that caused a nervous breakdown? No. Do I think Lidstrom would ignore such an incident if it actually happened? No. 

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/franzen-he-is-the-worst-person-i-have-ever-met/

It's already out there as public knowledge that the leadership in Detroit tried to get Babcock fired several times and Ken Holland (can't wait to see what is next in Edmonton) refused to hear it.

"I watched Detroit play so I don't think a thing I deny exists could have caused a nervous breakdown".

Pretty good post. I'm convinced.

• Like 1

Marc Crawford has been suspended from his role as a Hawks assistant over allegations of past over the top abuse of players.

*Remembers the story about Crawford in Kerry Frasier's book*

Yup, sounds legit...

Edited by sabremike

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/franzen-he-is-the-worst-person-i-have-ever-met/

It's already out there as public knowledge that the leadership in Detroit tried to get Babcock fired several times and Ken Holland (can't wait to see what is next in Edmonton) refused to hear it.

"I watched Detroit play so I don't think a thing I deny exists could have caused a nervous breakdown".

Pretty good post. I'm convinced.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Being skeptical of a trash bag like Chelios, who has a personal grudge against the person in question, is hardly out of line. 

Edited by Tabe