DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere but Smackdown is being bumped to FS1 on the 25th when Game 3 of the World Series is on Fox, right?

Actually I don't know if that has officially been announced yet or not.

Some folks thought they might tape it and then air it when the game ends (because in theory - it would still air live on the West Coast)

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

My apologies to NXT superfans with this comparison, but last night was sorta like if WCW debuted Nitro on some night other than Monday and the WWF got Action Zone moved to oppose Nitro only for Nitro to whoop Action Zone.

You’re not wrong, except that for the comparison to really work, WCW would have to schedule Nitro at the same time Action Zone was already airing, and WWF beefed up Action Zone in response. 

The slickest anti-AEW move WWE has pulled off is luring AEW into a war with their third brand rather than Raw or Smackdown.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

You’re not wrong, except that for the comparison to really work, WCW would have to schedule Nitro at the same time Action Zone was already airing, and WWF beefed up Action Zone in response. 

Didn’t AEW announce it’s Wednesday time slot a month before WWE moved NXT to USA?

Yeah NXT was on the network on Wednesdays for a long while.

9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

The slickest anti-AEW move WWE has pulled off is luring AEW into a war with their third brand rather than Raw or Smackdown.

Actually the WWE blinked first in this “War”(And maybe even creating the artificially creating the direct competition) by chasing them down to Wednesday. Instead of the other way around in 95. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

As a short-term play, maybe. But having a third brand that's primary directive isn't to feed new stars to the top two brands.......we don't really know how that plays out. WWE is spread really thin......and lest we forget about XFL. 

I also think AEW's colour pop aesthetic makes NXT looks really crappy in comparison. I suspect NXT 2020 will be significantly revamped as they inevitably 'get out of Full Sail', but the black and gold branding is what makes them distinct from the other two brands so that comes with its own problems.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I also think it's pushed NXT even further towards a 'Super Soldier Style' of wrestling which I honestly think they will come to regret but will struggle to roll back from.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, sydneybrown said:

Such a weird reaction.  "I really enjoyed a lot of NXT, but I'll never watch it again."

I don't really get the "I'm all AEW" reaction.  I enjoyed both shows for the most part.  I'm going to keep watching both shows.  If I love a Popeye's chicken sandwich, that doesn't mean I can't ever go to Chick Fil-a.

I like both quite a lot though I feel I'm already in the "I'm all AEW" camp.  I'll certainly watch both but if this week's any indication I'll be fast running NXT matches in double speed and watch ones I care about in real time.  You are right though in that there's no reason to forego one show over the other especially with DVR and ways to watch.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Forgot to add I normally don’t like the quick, fighting spirit move exchange sequences in matches, but I thought Cole and Riddle actually managed to make it look decent rather than overly choreographed. 

Especially that deadlift German suplex throw by Riddle. I had to rewatch it a few times, it was the absolute perfect combination of slick and out-of-control-looking. 

• Like 1

I'm watching that match right now and... FUCK, I hate it. Have neither of these guys ever been told just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should? 

Someone should tell the crowd that too. Fucking chants.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm watching that match right now and... FUCK, I hate it. Have neither of these guys ever been told just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should? 

Someone should tell the crowd that too. Fucking chants.

Curt's a good guy.

• Like 2

I'm catching up with the last few weeks of NXT and I  like how they still.arent using the same guys every week. With 2 hours now they've placed the UK and Cruiserweight guys well into the show. I hope they dont panic and start bringing in top talents for the other brands because once they do they might get carried away and rely on those guys too often. I also think they should stay at Fullsail atleast for a more Takeover cycles.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, ComingToAmerica said:

I popped for that awesome German suplex, and groaned when Cole no sold it.

Yeah that sums up that whole sequence. "Ho hum" to "hell yeah" to "come on" in 10 seconds. It also doesn't help that Adam Cole's brainbuster on the knee move should be a MDK finisher.

• Like 1