DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

What's with these fantastic curtain jerkers? 3 weeks in a row.

Chiampa certainly didn't skip arm days.

Of all the in windowed commercial breaks, the Io/Mia match was the worst, prob was Mia's best match to date. (I love how Io looks more and more like a Spiderverse character.)

Edited by turk128
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamal said:

Great stuff from Mia and Io as expected. 

Also enjoyed Shayna/Candice. Not sure where to go with Shayna now unless they go for the Rhea rematch. 

I'm telling you, it's going to be Dakota Kai. You don't have to like it, but that's probably where this is headed.

• Sad 1

Just now, Casey said:

I'm telling you, it's going to be Dakota Kai. You don't have to like it, but that's probably where this is headed.

I'm not going to make a direct pop at Kai, but from my pov the women's division is the best part of NXT and they would do well to book it with care. 

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Yes.

To answer seriously; I think it's bad - I just think there comes a point when 'Fighting Spirit' and 'Finisher Spam' becomes ridiculous and this match went over the line. Clearly this is part of the NXT style and there comes a point when I should not watch. So it's settled. I'm not watching any more Adam Cole matches, and Keith Lee's on a yellow card.

I haven't watched the tag-match yet, but generally speaking these super-combos do seem to be part-and-parcel of the NXT style and if they're not a vaguely buyable false finish then....I can't abide it. Headbutt-PopUpPowerBomb-KneeSmash-TopRopeDrapeDDT combo from Burch was another offender. Fine, I'll watch something else.

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 2

I thought Mia Yim killed it and Io was a star as usual, probably my match of the episode but I have to see the tag title match still (ran out of time before work). Adam Cole matches are fun live but the finisher spam doesn’t translate to TV, aside from that I enjoyed it, even the move exchange that was too light on the selling wasn’t too egregious. Like Cody on the other channel, Cole could flesh out his in ring a bit so he doesn’t have to go straight to killing his own finish to make a match feel special.

I watched NXT second and the shift from an arena to a studio show wasn’t too jarring but I wonder how it presents to new viewers. The condensed, hot crowd is cool but does it looks small time in comparison? 

I debated which thread I was going to mention it in so since I am here

Meltzer said on the radio show that he jokingly wondered how long it would be into the shows before he got a text from someone in the WWE saying they needed to run NXT outside of Full Sail. He said it took 17 minutes.

As the conversation continued basically Dave said that folks in the WWE had a feeling that most likely they can't keep only doing the shows from Full Sail (especially when compared to the way AEW looks). The reason they booked Full Sail through the rest of the year was because they didn't have time to get other venues.

The way Dave phrased it was "If they are "losing" to AEW Dynamite - expect the NXT to go on the road sometime in early 2020". If they are "winning", then Vince will probably say they have to make no changes.

Nothing really surprising but since folks have speculated on how long they would do Full Sail... there is an update

Honestly, I want them to leave Full Sail occasionally just for something different, but that doesn't really have to be more than 6-8 times a year. Otherwise they should stick to Full Sail unless its a Takeover.

where they run it won't matter if it's seen as the 3rd tier show...  not sure if there's way to save face while either moving NXT to not be 2hrs head to head with AEW.. or a way to get Fox to occasionally air a "special Wednesday night Smackdown" whenever there's some sort of gap in Fox's schedule (or something going on to bump them off of Friday for that week)

At a minimum they really should try to get FOX to promote it - which is way easier said than done.

I mean I think there were a couple of RAW commercials during Football (or baseball - I know I saw at least one)

But I feel like the only mention of NXT being on USA was done on USA

My apologies to NXT superfans with this comparison, but last night was sorta like if WCW debuted Nitro on some night other than Monday and the WWF got Action Zone moved to oppose Nitro only for Nitro to whoop Action Zone.

On one hand, the WWE side could yeah-but their loss. On the other hand, if the crown princes non-developmental developmental show is taking L’s, then that fucks over the people on NXT in regards to moving them up the ladder to other shows. Especially when the people running things who favor the big programs are super fucking impulsive.

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere but Smackdown is being bumped to FS1 on the 25th when Game 3 of the World Series is on Fox, right?