DVDVR Message Board

UFC 243: Whittaker vs. Adesanya (10/5/2019) - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Marvel Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

Definitely, Adesanya's got a fantastic chin, no doubt! Another thing with Romero is that, while he doesn't use it too much, he could certainly out-muscle and use his excellent wrestling technique to get in the clinch and control him against the cage or, likelier, take Israel down. He does have other options than just waiting for da bombz. Either way, brother needs a couple of wins before he gets a shot very likely. I could see UFC feeding Adesanya Canonier if Izzy beats Costa. And with how much time is between each of Romero's fights a showdown with Adesanya may never materialize. It's too bad Gastelum is fighting Till because I'd love to see Kelvin/Yoel. Maybe Hermansson as a rebound fight and then he could fight a second or third ranked fighter for a title shot in 2024 or whenever he'd be ready.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Definitely, Adesanya's got a fantastic chin, no doubt! Another thing with Romero is that, while he doesn't use it too much, he could certainly out-muscle and use his excellent wrestling technique to get in the clinch and control him against the cage or, likelier, take Israel down. He does have other options than just waiting for da bombz. Either way, brother needs a couple of wins before he gets a shot very likely. I could see UFC feeding Adesanya Canonier if Izzy beats Costa. And with how much time is between each of Romero's fights a showdown with Adesanya may never materialize. It's too bad Gastelum is fighting Till because I'd love to see Kelvin/Yoel. Maybe Hermansson as a rebound fight and then he could fight a second or third ranked fighter for a title shot in 2024 or whenever he'd be ready.

That's what I was going to say as far Romero's strategy that he needs to employ against Israel. Yoel needs something to throw Adesanya off. Staring at him from across the octagon is not going to work. He has to tie Adesanya up and greatly limit his mobility. Even if it takes sitting on his legs like Khabib does to people, that works better than allowing a counter striker to basically warm up.

I would like to see Romero vs. Uriah Hall. That seems like that would a very entertaining fight even if you got some slow moments. But yeah, Hermansson is a fight that makes sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

He is highly flawed in how he approaches fights too but he's way more measured and cerebral than Costa is, who tries to overwhelm with physical abilities and will. 

Personally, I think that the idea of Costa being a lunkhead who is too brick brained to be intimidated by the Stylebender mystique makes him slightly more dangerous opponent that Romero, but anyone that gets caught by Yoel's first step is going to sleep.

I don't give a fuck how good their chin is.

Adesanya may have inadvertently given the Costa camp some fuel for the inferno with all of those Ricky Marvin cracks.  I'm not sure how wise it was to put a chip on the shoulder of a fighter like Costa.

Edited by J.T.