DVDVR Message Board

NXT DISCUSSION - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

I watched the nxt replay yesterday and the main feeling I had coming away from the show was bored. I'm a big fan of the Undisputed Era, a big fan of Shayna Baszler, but I just feel bored with everything. Balor being back just points to the ineptitude of Raw and Smackdown's booking.

I thought Shane Thorne looked great in defeat, but I feel like he'll never breakthrough as a singles wrestler. The singles ranks are just so bloated. I'd try to find another tag partner for him. 

I liked both women's matches despite the outcomes being foregone conclusions. I hope Mia Yim gets even a short reign at some point, but Dakota Kai needs to be the one to dethrone Shayna.

I can't stand the Street Profits act, so I was glad to see ReDRagon retain.

I didn't like Punishment Martinez and I dislike the Damien Priest gimmick even more. There's other guys that should be getting the time that's been put into Priest.

Technically, everything was fine. There's was nothing that looked sloppy, but something isn't clicking for me with nxt right now. Two hours of nxt felt like a chore to get through. Compare that to AEW, which I watched twice in two days and the second viewing was as fun as the first.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Went to Bartow last night and I will say the show was much better than it had any right to be. I've only been to live events in Orlando and the Orlando Live Events venue is much bigger than this venue in Bartow. There's a solid 500+ in attendance always in Orlando. This was a more intimate and much smaller venue with about 200 fans. It felt more as an indy show than the Orlando events.

Quick results and thoughts:

Spoiler

Bianca def. Jessi -- I like both ladies. Jessi looked off, but Bianca was fantastic as always and more than made up for it with her personality, stiff strikes and big throws.

Rinku Singh and Saurav Gurjar def. Denzel Dejournette and Tehuti Miles -- much better than expected. I saw Singh and Gurjar in a dark match at the past tapings and they looked incredible. Last night it was no different. Not sure if they have made their TV debuts yet as I don't watch TV, but these dudes are beast. They are gigantic guys from India who hit hard and know how to draw heat. For guys who are still relatively rookies, they've picked it up well. I've mostly seen them work against smaller opponents and they are great monster heels. Denzel has that 90's rap dancer gimmick which always gets over and is entertaining and this is my first time seeing Tehuti and he looked good bumping around during the extensive beatdown.

Mansoor def. Cal Bloom -- this was OK. Mansoor is fun to watch always and I've seen Bloom a handful of times, but he hasn't really developed entirely and is just another guy.

The Outliers def. Rik Bughez and Nick Ogarelli -- this wasn't bad thanks to the Outliers. Bughez and Ogarelli don't do much for me and thankfully they are cutting down on the over the top goofy entrance which I don't find interesting in the least. The Outliers however have really come a looooong way since being paired up with Robert Stone. He's a fantastic manager and my buddy got them to pop and break character with a "You Look Like A Zara Mannequin" sign directed at Stone.

Keith Lee def. Austin Theory -- this was OK as they kept it simpler and shorter than they would if occurred in EVOLVE. Not a big fan of Theory, but I will say he's been much better the 2 times I've seen him in shorter simpler matches in NXT than the times I've seen him working long epics in EVOLVE. Lee was fantastic as usual.

Killian Dain def. Garza Jr. -- this was really fun. Crowd was pretty silent for Dain, but of course Garza got over big time. Mostly a beatdown from Dain with Garza occasionally getting offensive flashes by using his speed to open up and counter Dain when given the opportunity.

Damian Priest def. Aleksander -- this was OK. I'm still not sure I get Priest (I'm still inclined to think folks buy Priest as being good simply because he's a former Ring of Honor guy only) and not sure what Aleksander is supposed to be, but he got beatdown pretty badly by Priest for the most part.

Lio Rush def. Isaiah Scott -- this was a typical 205 Live match, but with a smaller and more responsive crowd. I'm not particularly a big fan of both, but it was a good match and got it's point across. Both guys hit all their flashy spots and kept it simple instead of going into the excessive 2.99 territory which was neat.

Tegan Nox and Dakota Kai def. Marina Shaffir and Jessamyn Duke -- this was a ton of fun. I love Team Kick and am a big fan of Shaffir. Duke isn't quite there yet imo. Relatively simple live match and the result sent the fans home happy.

I'm sure this would suck if it was on TV, but I had a blast live and so did my wife and friends who were there with us, so that's all that matters. Well worth the trip.

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

Went to Bartow last night and I will say the show was much better than it had any right to be. I've only been to live events in Orlando and the Orlando Live Events venue is much bigger than this venue in Bartow. There's a solid 500+ in attendance always in Orlando. This was a more intimate and much smaller venue with about 200 fans. It felt more as an indy show than the Orlando events.

Quick results and thoughts:

Hide contents

Bianca def. Jessi -- I like both ladies. Jessi looked off, but Bianca was fantastic as always and more than made up for it with her personality, stiff strikes and big throws.

Rinku Singh and Saurav Gurjar def. Denzel Dejournette and Tehuti Miles -- much better than expected. I saw Singh and Gurjar in a dark match at the past tapings and they looked incredible. Last night it was no different. Not sure if they have made their TV debuts yet as I don't watch TV, but these dudes are beast. They are gigantic guys from India who hit hard and know how to draw heat. For guys who are still relatively rookies, they've picked it up well. I've mostly seen them work against smaller opponents and they are great monster heels. Denzel has that 90's rap dancer gimmick which always gets over and is entertaining and this is my first time seeing Tehuti and he looked good bumping around during the extensive beatdown.

Mansoor def. Cal Bloom -- this was OK. Mansoor is fun to watch always and I've seen Bloom a handful of times, but he hasn't really developed entirely and is just another guy.

The Outliers def. Rik Bughez and Nick Ogarelli -- this wasn't bad thanks to the Outliers. Bughez and Ogarelli don't do much for me and thankfully they are cutting down on the over the top goofy entrance which I don't find interesting in the least. The Outliers however have really come a looooong way since being paired up with Robert Stone. He's a fantastic manager and my buddy got them to pop and break character with a "You Look Like A Zara Mannequin" sign directed at Stone.

Keith Lee def. Austin Theory -- this was OK as they kept it simpler and shorter than they would if occurred in EVOLVE. Not a big fan of Theory, but I will say he's been much better the 2 times I've seen him in shorter simpler matches in NXT than the times I've seen him working long epics in EVOLVE. Lee was fantastic as usual.

Killian Dain def. Garza Jr. -- this was really fun. Crowd was pretty silent for Dain, but of course Garza got over big time. Mostly a beatdown from Dain with Garza occasionally getting offensive flashes by using his speed to open up and counter Dain when given the opportunity.

Damian Priest def. Aleksander -- this was OK. I'm still not sure I get Priest (I'm still inclined to think folks buy Priest as being good simply because he's a former Ring of Honor guy only) and not sure what Aleksander is supposed to be, but he got beatdown pretty badly by Priest for the most part.

Lio Rush def. Isaiah Scott -- this was a typical 205 Live match, but with a smaller and more responsive crowd. I'm not particularly a big fan of both, but it was a good match and got it's point across. Both guys hit all their flashy spots and kept it simple instead of going into the excessive 2.99 territory which was neat.

Tegan Nox and Dakota Kai def. Marina Shaffir and Jessamyn Duke -- this was a ton of fun. I love Team Kick and am a big fan of Shaffir. Duke isn't quite there yet imo. Relatively simple live match and the result sent the fans home happy.

I'm sure this would suck if it was on TV, but I had a blast live and so did my wife and friends who were there with us, so that's all that matters. Well worth the trip.

I've never heard anyone say anything good about Punishment Martinez/Damien Priest because he came out of ROH. I think people thought there might be something there, but were surprised he got signed. The only thing he really had going for him in ROH was his size, but he won't look as imposing in NXT or the main roster. If anything, he's an example of the drop in quality from Gabe era-ROH to SBG era.

Damien Priest comes off like a low rent Baron Corbin to me. He's got an occasional flashy move or 2, but he's just kind of there. Plus he falls into the trap of having a nickname that makes no sense. He's the "archer of infamy", huh? What does that mean? Is he the god damn green arrow? Is he going to be telling people "you have failed this city?" If he's an archer, why does he literally do nothing archery related except shooting an imaginary arrow at the screen?

• Like 2

Can it be Wednesday already? Seriously, I'm a massive Ringkampf/Imperium fan and WALTER is the only member I haven't seen live, so I am super stoked.

Late to the party (had a function to attend in DC on Wednesday) but can we get more Takeover main events squished down into 15 minute TV matches? Cole/Riddle was as focused and to-the-fucking-point as any NXT Championship match I've seen in the last year.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Can it be Wednesday already? Seriously, I'm a massive Ringkampf/Imperium fan and WALTER is the only member I haven't seen live, so I am super stoked.

Not sure if you'll get a chance to meet him but if you do he's a super nice gentleman and a half.  Saw him at Evolve a couple years ago (in redneck-ass Joppa of all places) and he had the biggest smile just having the time of his life.  Really glad to see how far he's come in so little time.  And holy fuck seeing those chops in the front row were super painful looking AND sounding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not sure if you'll get a chance to meet him but if you do he's a super nice gentleman and a half.  Saw him at Evolve a couple years ago (in redneck-ass Joppa of all places) and he had the biggest smile just having the time of his life.  Really glad to see how far he's come in so little time.  And holy fuck seeing those chops in the front row were super painful looking AND sounding.

Pretty sure I won't be able to meet him, but that's cool to hear here's a super nice guy.

For what it's worth -- I randomly met Marcel Barthel in Downtown Orlando earlier this year leaving the MLS All Star Game (I'm sure I've posted that around here) and he was super nice, too. That was pretty neat as he had no idea I knew who he was.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Cesaro didn't get drafted.  The Street Profits did get drafted.  The Undisputed Era needs a challenger.  Bring back the Kings of Wrestling.  

This. Please.

Need this one more time: