DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Peck said:

There will be a Presidential visit in Pittsburgh tomorrow(no, not Jack Tunney...) so maybe we'll find out if DONALD TRUMP IS AEW!~!

In all seriousness, if anyone's going tomorrow there's a handful of road closures downtown for the visit(not close to the venue though) but traffic may be a little messy.

Yeah my sister is working from home tomorrow. She told me they are closing the highway to the airport and the busway as well.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, Casey said:

So? He's allowed to express his opinions, even if they might be unpopular with a large swath of AEW fans.

The fans who know about it are calling this Cody covering for his friend and don't want him in the company.  He's about as hated as Elgin would be.

AEW's fanbase is pretty left leaning so Hager is playing with fire.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I hope they sign Jamie. She has a good look, and size.

Seems more likely she signs with Stardom seeing that she was the only freelancer, gaijin or native, who showed up at the Bushiroad press conference.

Edited by Eivion

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Seems more likely she signs with Stardom seeing that she was the only freelancer, gaijin or native, who showed up at the Bushiroad press conference.

Then it’s weird that she’ll just work one date for AEW to make Britt look good. I know she’s Jimmy Havoc ladyfriend, but I can’t imagine her coming back if Stardom signs her up full-time. Plus AEW needs more ladies. I would offer her a deal on the spot if she can get anything out of Britt Baker.

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Then it’s weird that she’ll just work one date for AEW to make Britt look good. I know she’s Jimmy Havoc ladyfriend, but I can’t imagine her coming back if Stardom signs her up full-time. Plus AEW needs more ladies. I would offer her a deal on the spot if she can get anything out of Britt Baker.

Bea is working Stardom full time so its not impossible for Jamie to show up again even if she signs. Actually the timing is kind of interesting when you consider Bea and Jamie are partners in the tag league currently.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, alstein said:

The fans who know about it are calling this Cody covering for his friend and don't want him in the company.  He's about as hated as Elgin would be.

AEW's fanbase is pretty left leaning so Hager is playing with fire.

Oh man, I love super woke fans. He has shitty political views, but he's allowed to have his opinions and views and express them on a public, open forum like Twitter. I don't know why we bring up things like Hager's political tweets if we can't actually talk about politics on this board, either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh man, I love super woke fans. He has shitty political views, but he's allowed to have his opinions and views and express them on a public, open forum like Twitter. I don't know why we bring up things like Hager's political tweets if we can't actually talk about politics on this board, either.

The issue that's going to be brought up in your standard-issue internet argument is that Jake Hagar has shared/retweeted/whatever posts that convey a decidedly anti-transgender message while being a part of a roster that includes at least one high-profile transgender performer, for now (I'm watching Sonny Kiss' pronouns like I watch Maryland weather). The takes he chooses to share have ventured into that actually kind of shitty realm to a point where it's hard not to assume it could be a locker room issue.

Once again, I remind the world that Chris Jericho is in a band with a guy who wrote the lyrics "No need to hide behind slogans of deceit / Claiming that you're a religion of peace / We just don't believe you " and an entirely different song called "Rape Whistle". So, like, yeah. Good fuckin' luck. Still beats wives in the Trump cabinet it or a business run by Sinclair, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The issue that's going to be brought up in your standard-issue internet argument is that Jake Hagar has shared/retweeted/whatever posts that convey a decidedly anti-transgender message while being a part of a roster that includes at least one high-profile transgender performer, for now (I'm watching Sonny Kiss' pronouns like I watch Maryland weather). The takes he chooses to share have ventured into that actually kind of shitty realm to a point where it's hard not to assume it could be a locker room issue.

Once again, I remind the world that Chris Jericho is in a band with a guy who wrote the lyrics "No need to hide behind slogans of deceit / Claiming that you're a religion of peace / We just don't believe you " and an entirely different song called "Rape Whistle". So, like, yeah. Good fuckin' luck. Still beats wives in the Trump cabinet it or a business run by Sinclair, for what it's worth.

I thought exoticos still identified as male?  I would use him for Sonny Kiss unless he listed otherwise.  No pronouns in twitter bio.

Also TERF rhetoric will not go over well with the AEW crowd, and I wouldn't be shocked if Hager ends up with go-away heat the same way Elgin would.  I'm betting Hager will be their first big miss on a talent and if they push he will be their first real misstep.

Edited by alstein

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Jack Evans vs Joey Janela is cancelled.

It's now Janela vs Kenny Omega in a re-match from last week's Dark episode (but just a regular match).

This show seems a little too stuffed. Two tournament, Young Bucks Vs. Best Friends, Britt Baker Vs. Jamie Hayter, Omega Vs. Janela, PAC Vs. Moxley, and a segment hyping up Jericho Vs. Cody. One of these Matches will need to be cut for time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

The same crowd that were chanting ''We The People'' in unison two weeks ago? 

I'm guessing they either didn't know or thought it was just his gimmick (I thought it was just his gimmick).   Also a lot more casual fans, when the attendence drops it's going to be the more hardcore fans showing up, and they might be the folks who really don't like TERFs.   (AEW does seem to have a decent-sized LGBT following)

Also, when the newness wears off, folks gonna realize he's the same mediocre talent.

Also next week they're adding another guy I really don't like in QT Marshall.

Edited by alstein

Oh I agree with you there. Swagger sucks, and his sucking leaves him way more vulnerable to being sucked into the woke-lefts wrath than say, AJ Styles, who gets a free pass nowadays because his talent resists such critics. When the honeymoon period is over, we will get a far better look as to who is really over and who isn't. 

I do think you're overselling the amount of fans that share such a demand for inclusivity though. 

Nonetheless, one dip in quality and the pitchforks are ready to come out.

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Oh I agree with you there. Swagger sucks, and his sucking leaves him way more vulnerable to being sucked into the woke-lefts wrath than say, AJ Styles, who gets a free pass nowadays because his talent resists such critics. When the honeymoon period is over, we will get a far better look as to who is really over and who isn't. 

I do think you're overselling the amount of fans that share such a demand for inclusivity though. 

Nonetheless, one dip in quality and the pitchforks are ready to come out.

AJ has said some stupid shit that's hard to forget but he at least hasn't said anything like that for some time (unless you want to include a tweet about flat Earth but even that wasn't too horrible..just stupid)  People like me a huge fan of his work but I imagine people are able to separate that from whatever dumb shit he's said.  With Hager he might have been underutilized in WWE but he's not even close to AJ's level.  So take that plus whatever dumb shit he's saying now and people aren't going to have as easy of a time separating the Jake the wrestler/character from Jake the person.  I honestly don't care what he says as I don't pay attention but if he's stupid enough to say the wrong terms while in a locker room full of people that he's talking about then he'll have to deal with whatever comes his way.

EDIT:  Should have read your post better as you said something similar.  Ah, fuck it, point stands.

As for overselling the demand for inclusivity that is possible but at least from what I saw in DC I think they have a good thing going and the demand for more inclusivity is definitely there.  I'll be curious to see the mix of people when I check out Starrcast and the PPV.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Boy, that Nyla Rose/Leva Bates match was rough, from Dark.  AEW's women's division is totally awful, right now.  The only star they have is Riho, and everyone else is just there.  Nyla has a ton of presence, and in time, could be a big star.  Britt Baker is pretty disappointing, and ladies like Allie and Brandi are no good.  How is it that Impact has a much stronger women's division than this place?  

• Like 2

Impact has always had a strong Women's division.  Part of the issue is that there might not just be enough there to make a strong one, between Impact always being booked well (with the women), WWE having the money, and other promotions being more solid.  

3 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Boy, that Nyla Rose/Leva Bates match was rough, from Dark.  AEW's women's division is totally awful, right now.  The only star they have is Riho, and everyone else is just there.  Nyla has a ton of presence, and in time, could be a big star.  Britt Baker is pretty disappointing, and ladies like Allie and Brandi are no good.  How is it that Impact has a much stronger women's division than this place?  

I agree, it’s the promotion’s weakest point. Where are Awesome and Aja Kong? They were big selling points for me when things were getting started and they haven’t really factored in that much. Maybe losing Kylie threw more of a wrench in the works than we thought. On the other hand, there legit isn’t a woman I can think of that’s a free agent and could solidify the division so maybe they just don’t have the talents to work with yet.