DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Firmly believe Stunt's future is as a weasely heel, maybe hiding behind a bigger guy to do all the dirty work then picking up cheap victories. Eye pokes, low blows, make him the US Ogawa. I've seen him work semi heel against Rich Swann in ICW-NY, and it was his best match IMO, get him flossing after an ill-gotten victory and let him bask in the hate. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

Thinking about Marko more, I don't want to hear a fucking word about the guy anymore. We all accepted Spike Dudley and countless others, but Marko, who isn't even doing power moves, is where people draw the line? Fuck that.

On the one hand, you’re absolutely right.

On the other, he’s a half foot shorter than Spike Dudley.

I personally don’t have a problem with him, and I’m happy for the dude, but everyone has their own line where they can no longer suspend their disbelief. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

On the one hand, you’re absolutely right.

On the other, he’s a half foot shorter than Spike Dudley.

I personally don’t have a problem with him, and I’m happy for the dude, but everyone has their own line where they can no longer suspend their disbelief. 

I mean, their third is a lucha dinosaur for fucks sake. They wrestled a match against a team where one of the guys is a ghost ninja who stops every match to slowly take off his glove and more than half the time his opponents let him.

This is like all the bitching about CM Punk taking on Brock and how that wouldn't be believable. Or Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles vs Brock. Or Jeff Hardy way back when taking on Undertaker. Or Rey Jr. winning the World title.

Not to mention that Jungle Boy is probably a buck fifty soaking wet. 

I get that there's suspension of disbelief, but it's wrestling and suspension of disbelief can be nearly infinite based on the efforts of the individuals involved. I think I was the first person in the AEW threads to say I didn't want them to sign Marko and then I groaned when they signed Marko, but when you lay out the match like they did on Wednesday then I can't bitch at all. They deserve all the props in the world

At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if some of these people complaining are the same ones trying to get JR fired for saying "Jungle Boy Jack Perry." People are fucking dumb.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Firmly believe Stunt's future is as a weasely heel, maybe hiding behind a bigger guy to do all the dirty work then picking up cheap victories. Eye pokes, low blows, make him the US Ogawa. I've seen him work semi heel against Rich Swann in ICW-NY, and it was his best match IMO, get him flossing after an ill-gotten victory and let him bask in the hate. 

That's the only time where that Floss dance would be acceptable.  But if he's supposed to be a face like I said before he needs to drop that shit (I may have a semi-irrational hatred for that "dance" so bear with me)

• Haha 1

Janella - Omega is a fireworks show.  Lots of explosions that could realistically be cut up in any order.  There is no flow from point A to point B.  A dragon suplex on the apron might as well be an arm drag since it doesn't matter as soon as Joey takes control again.  It really suffers from a loss of continuity and purpose. 

Stunts issue is that they seem to have cut out the natural first steps of the angle and we're jumping into the middle.  He should have been introduced.  Then gain sympathy getting his ass kicked.  Then form a bond with Jungle Boy.  Then he could be where he is now.   But that would be after months of television and instead we need to immediately accept him.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Stunts issue is that they seem to have cut out the natural first steps of the angle and we're jumping into the middle.  He should have been introduced.  Then gain sympathy getting his ass kicked.  Then form a bond with Jungle Boy.  Then he could be where he is now.   But that would be after months of television and instead we need to immediately accept him.

And that then speaks to how BTE is maybe not the best thing as their primary storytelling device thus far because of the divide it puts in viewers who did / did not watch.

Because they did a little bit of that on BTE, but if my first exposure to AEW us Dynamite, I don't know that happened, and like you say, am then forced to accept him.

Cool for them to blast right out of the gate with this, but you are spot on. Probably an issue that they see and will use their TV time and Dark to maybe interweave some of that. At least that's the hope that I have for them going forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's the only time where that Floss dance would be acceptable.  But if he's supposed to be a face like I said before he needs to drop that shit (I may have a semi-irrational hatred for that "dance" so bear with me

A Ms. Peyton Royce would like to have a word with you.

Edited by mystman

39 minutes ago, mystman said:

A Ms. Peyton Royce would like to have a word with you.

I would like to say that after seeing said gif posted by Goodear that I do indeed stand corrected.  And if my hatred for it caused that to be posted then today wasn't so bad after all.  ?

But Marko still should not be doing it as a face.  As a heel sure, go right ahead.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 9:54 PM, Peck said:

I liked the Aubrey feature a lot.

And I had no idea DOC SAMPSON IS AEW. 

I liked the randomness of Cody having his own sit down chat segment.  The randomness and title screen of this segment along with the tacky control center green screen demonstrates a nice post Tim & Eric vibe which everyone seems to be enjoying.  But again, I really hope they stop with these tacky sentimental scores.  They need a good music supervisor.  The stories have enough emotion, you don't need to slap the audience in the face with that music.  Also, I generally have dug the WWE swipes (mostly by Runnels), but Audrey's story of not being hired felt a little like pulling straws.      

On 10/15/2019 at 11:06 PM, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I think this was a way to see if they load up on Dark what kind of viewership it could get. 

Edit: As for the match itself, it was a bit too long and dragged a bit especially for the audience who were in their third or fourth hour. Not a tonne of storytelling going on other than Omega trying to get into the hardcore elements and mocking Moxley by using Jon's signature offense. Janela could use some more rhyme and reason in his matches to take the next step up. That running headscissors he hit early on was beautiful though and he's getting into better shape so that's good. 

I really like Joey, but he's better suited to fit himself into a more traditional hardcore style uniform.  Non-trad wrestling gear.  Just rocking a cut off t-shirt would do wonders in masking Joey's slight shortcomings while accentuating his bad boyish beauty.   I really badly want to see Joey playing Michael PS alongside a pair of free birds.  He's got exceptional charisma and I gather he'd be a pretty strong promo.  His storytelling from that recent BTE was nice to listen to.     

If this big bout was to test viewership, which may very well be true, why is this show not being promoted on Dynamite?  It's especially frustrating when said Janela-Omega match catches a buzz and they show not a single highlight.  Just a 5-20 second recap highlight package as Kenny walks to the ring would suffice.  Or take a minute over at the announcers table to present a showcase of Dark highlights.  Dark has been good, why not make it more important and reward those who do watch.  Make it seem more in continuity with the A show.  Small complaints, it's early, I just hope they adjust and make Dark feel more meaningful in the grand scheme.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

But under 900K views (internationally) on both episodes, for something that's free on YouTube, when Dynamite gets a Million live viewers on USA TV, is disappointing. They should be promoting Dark on TV. And if TNT won't let them, the promotion does have the option of buying commercials for it's YT channel during the show. WWE sponsors itself all the time.

Having said that, they beat all but three videos on the BTE channel, and you'd think anyone who liked AEW would watch that. Maybe the 'lapsed fans' theory has some merit to it.

EDIT: I know nobody watches The Walking Dead any more. But Chris Jericho is going to be on Talking Dead tomorrow (America)/ Monday (UK).

Edited by AxB

On 10/18/2019 at 10:27 AM, JonnyLaw said:

Since you brought up Jungle Boy’s weight, I looked it up, and he’s actually smaller than Spike Dudley too, so if nothing else, Marko helps him look bigger.

so it's sorta like when CMLL does a Microman match, and then the 6 guys in the next match look massive because you just spent the last 10 minutes watching 4 foot tall people wrestle each other?

There's probably more upside for a Marko as an underdog babyface (and a quasi-mascota) than as a bad guy. The heel Spike Dudley stint had some upsides, but unless it's a manager, there's only so much upside to the eventual time where a good guy beats up a tiny heel non-manager

Stunt's also only 23 so he could be a plucky underdog for a little while still and then turn heel when his body needs a break from getting beat up by dudes twice his size. He certainly as all the fuel for a heel turn now but truthfully I think he and Luchasaurus should both turn on Jungle Boy when the time is right and that isn't for a long while yet.

Do all AAA shows start with a 30 minute tribute to Antonio Pena, followed by a ten minute segment where Not LA Park and Konnan argue about whether Antonio Pena was a good man or not?

On 10/12/2019 at 8:33 AM, ComingToAmerica said:

I don't really have a problem with Hager tbh, I thought the All-American American was pretty great; he's not really comparable to a limited worker like Ryback. He's a heater and he's not even worked a match yet - and certainly won't be before Oct 25 because he's on Bellator 231. His No.1 focus is probably MMA, which is great because he won't be around all the time.

Worth saying that whilst Jericho is pretty much legendary for fitting in surprise appearances, Fozzy are signed to Sony now and when the next album drops it's going to be serious business. He won't be at every show forever. 

We're going to see about under utilization - the truth is that a lot of those NXT guys are going to take the pay cheque to train in an awesome facility with highly experienced coaching (not just wrestling) in Florida. Even passed that.....they're paying tuition fees for some of the roster to study e.g. Nikki Cross is doing her History Masters on Vince. 

I mean, yeah, AEW is going to have to rotate people in and out whether they want to admit it or not and no doubt there will be ex-WWE guys in the mix - Luke Harper is still very clearly trying to get fired. But a lot of NXT guys are going to live with what they've got, because it's steady money and is going to set them up very nicely for their future career as personal trainers. I suspect a few of them genuinely don't want to be on the main roster.

Lio is really awesome and obviously he'd be an asset to AEW but I don't think small guys should be their priority. Ospreay just moved to Japan and feels like he's on a slow push to the top of the card. 2-3 years down the line maybe...obviously NJPW and AEW working together would change that.

My problem is that it is too similar to the WWE and has a bunch of WWE cast outs. Like there is a plethora of Indy talent which WWE is also poaching. What should differentiate AEW is having folks that just wouldn’t thrive under the E. Guys like Darby Allin who Vince would look at and not get it.  Or a Priscilla Kelly whose shock seductress style would be sanitized like it was in was in the Mae Young Classic. Like AEW has embraced several working styles that aren’t just WWE adjacent story telling. They present the full Lucha style without making amendments to it. They glorify spotfests whether it is hardcore or a bunch of dives. Then you have strong style of Japan or American brawler or technical wrestling. Every other match feels different. 

But a lot of the WWE guys like Hager carry too much baggage. I’ve seen Hager in Lucha Underground and I have to say that he stuck out. He didn’t fit amongst the craziness and shenanigans of a promotion that was whacky like LU. And in AEW, he is still prototypical in a promotion touting to be an alternative to WWE. 

And yes, I do appreciate that he won’t be present in matches. But there are big guys in the Indies that just as likely could have that spot like Jeff Cobb, Jacob Fatu, Moose, Alexander Hammerstone, or Tim Thatcher who all may not be as tall but have the added benefit of being active as well. 

I don’t know. I see too many familiar faces than I care to want to see in AEW. Again, I get that this is the beginning and they are likely to expand but it’s weird I see the likes of Hager, Spears, Rhodes, and to some extent Moxley as kind of redundant because are prototypical WWE cast offs.  

But this is just a nit pick. Overall the shows have been enjoyable and I say this as someone who never really enjoyed a Kenny Omega or Young Bucks match. I was surprised to see the variety in what I thought would be styles catering to them.