DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We should be wary of giving refs too much personality/focus. Going that pathway may lie the creation of a new Red Shoes or Tirantes.

They have Bryce, right? You'd think his comedy/improv training would be a natural fit for on screen japes. 

Because Kenny Omega is going crazy, he requested this match, and wanted to "get his feet wet" in the hardcore style ahead of his match against Moxley at Full Gear in less than a month.

The explanation is right there in the commentary. You don't have to like the reasoning, but they gave one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was a real motherfucker of a match right there.

Perhaps they're testing the waters by doing the hardcore stuff on Dark, so if TNT says "No blood & guts matches", they have an outlet. Or perhaps they're trying to pop massive views for Dark, to get TNT to give them a second show and effectively make AEW Dark into AEW Saturday Night or something.

Yeah, I think this was a way to see if they load up on Dark what kind of viewership it could get. 

Edit: As for the match itself, it was a bit too long and dragged a bit especially for the audience who were in their third or fourth hour. Not a tonne of storytelling going on other than Omega trying to get into the hardcore elements and mocking Moxley by using Jon's signature offense. Janela could use some more rhyme and reason in his matches to take the next step up. That running headscissors he hit early on was beautiful though and he's getting into better shape so that's good. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Fucking hell...   we should have stuck around, next time I'm telling my buddies fuck work.   That was WAY better and nastier than I thought it'd be.  Both guys brought it.   

Kenny Omega looked like Kenny Omega.  Insane match.   I like that Kenny is like "show these guys I'm not above working Dark" and he delivered a great great match. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Because Kenny Omega is going crazy, he requested this match, and wanted to "get his feet wet" in the hardcore style ahead of his match against Moxley at Full Gear in less than a month.

The explanation is right there in the commentary. You don't have to like the reasoning, but they gave one.

I did say I was tired. Fair, that does explain on one level why he was doing that match.

My comments on it weren't overtly negative, I'm sure most people would agree they could have had a tighter match and done slightly less - but I sort of understand why they decided to do something redonkulous on AEW Dark.

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Holy fucking shit, why did Kenny do the topeconhello to the barricade and not the ramp? Janela barely touched him, that was more or less full force. ?

Kenny may be the worst offender of this. He really needs to stop doing moves like that to the off-ramp sides of the ring or else he's going to snap his leg. They just don't have the clearance around those sides of the ring that WWE has.

• Like 1

i thought Omega vs Janela was great but man if that was the last match in the taping then those fans should have gotten discounts for being into that.  That was easily a 35  minute match and I don't know if any dark match at the end of a TV taping even a violent one should be that long

I kind of like Excalibur admitting what we all really know which is that these matches are in the TV tapings concerning Omega.   Talk about "in real time the PAC attack was an hour ago".  Although I guess if you are nitpicking then he should have sold the beat down more.  But selling was never one of Omega's strong suits

Edited by hammerva

The frog splash table bump and the one winged angel onto the chair were nasty.

The tope con hilo was nuts as well.

its crazy how quick the hour goes compared to an hour of WWE programming.  That hour of Dark seemed to last about the same length of time as Rollins promo during the first hour on Raw.

• Like 1

I only saw Omega/Janela and will watch the rest later tonight.  But holy carp what a match.  It was a bit long and it took quite a bit to warm up the crowd.  But they went freaking nuts and it was an enjoyable one to watch.  Janela's out of his mind for taking the bumps he did.  But I do love that even though it doesn't add to his win/loss record it is a great way to get some momentum back for Kenny.  I think he's going to rack up more wins and feel he'll beat Moxley at Full Gear.