DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I can always appreciate companies still willing to do billboard marketing.

The last couple of movies I have seen have had AEW on TNT commercials before the trailers began. I think AEW/TNT have been pretty smart about getting the word out. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I actually like Taz’s insipid commentary, as long as it’s not on an A-Show.

I'm curious who's in the booth with Taz. I'd normally say to pull JR, but he and Taz always had a fun chemistry together. I also hope this means they get Tenay when they hit Vegas.

2 hours ago, Ace said:

I'm curious who's in the booth with Taz. I'd normally say to pull JR, but he and Taz always had a fun chemistry together. I also hope this means they get Tenay when they hit Vegas.

Screw Tenay. Give me Don West!

Rewatching All Out. They're drawing attention to referee Paul Turner being rather liberal with enforcing the rules, not counting for count-outs and that. Was he also the ref who didn't DQ for Moxley's interference on Dynamite 1? Have they decided that since Aubrey Edwards is so good as the ref who takes no shit, for contrast they need to have a ref who does take shit?

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Rewatching All Out. They're drawing attention to referee Paul Turner being rather liberal with enforcing the rules, not counting for count-outs and that. Was he also the ref who didn't DQ for Moxley's interference on Dynamite 1? Have they decided that since Aubrey Edwards is so good as the ref who takes no shit, for contrast they need to have a ref who does take shit?

I think Rick Knox was the ref who let Mox' interference slide.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I think Rick Knox was the ref who let Mox' interference slide.

That's correct. Knox is also the ref who never enforces tag rules and basically lets matches devolve into tornado tag rules. In addition, he rarely, if ever, enforces countouts.

And I'd appreciate some differences in the refs if the announcers or wrestlers would call attention to it. It's like when Steve Mazzagatti would ref a UFC match and the fighters and fans would know that, shit, someone's going to die.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's correct. Knox is also the ref who never enforces tag rules and basically lets matches devolve into tornado tag rules. In addition, he rarely, if ever, enforces countouts.

And I'd appreciate some differences in the refs if the announcers or wrestlers would call attention to it. It's like when Steve Mazzagatti would ref a UFC match and the fighters and fans would know that, shit, someone's going to die.

I agree, if the refs are going to have different styles and standards for their matches, they need to make that clear quickly. Make Aubrey the tough ref and Knox a little looser, then it can be part of the match's story rather than a distraction. JR could say things like "That's Referee Edwards in there, she'll make sure this match is done by the books" or "Rick Knox is known for letting wrestlers bend the rules a little, and like it or not it makes for some incredible action" instead of crapping on the product on national TV.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think giving refs known personalities/styles is a good way to differentiate themselves and add that real sports feel (Aww fuck, we’ve got TV Teddy Valentine AND Karl Hess tonight?!?!), but as an attorney, Cody’s “refs have discretion” explanation irked me, because that’s now his discretion works. Discretion should be in interpreting rules, not in deciding whether to enforce them at all. The latter would be abuse of discretion. That said, it would be cool if started getting played up as “Oh shit, Rick Knox is officiating, you know someone is going to take advantage and interfere” or “Jimmy Havoc gets disqualified in 67% of his matches that Aubrey Edwards officiates.”

BTE taking the piss out of fans complaining about the Moxley interference from two weeks ago and poking fun at the "wins and losses matter!" thing is great.

"Why are you knocking on the wall?"

"I'm back. It's Britney, bitch."

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

Once Hikaru Shida (and Yuka Sakazaki) come to AEW fulltime, the Women's division is going to be a lot better. Still rewatching All Out, and Shida vs Riho was much better than I remembered, and better than Riho's match with Nyla Rose was.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Once Hikaru Shida (and Yuka Sakazaki) come to AEW fulltime, the Women's division is going to be a lot better. Still rewatching All Out, and Shida vs Riho was much better than I remembered, and better than Riho's match with Nyla Rose was.

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't think Yuka is supposed to come to AEW full time, is she? Hikaru Shida signed, but as far as I know, Yuka is the same as any of the other joshi besides Shida and Riho.

Yuka is contracted to TJPW/DDT. Riho is a freelancer. Shida is the only joshi wrestler who is contracted to AEW full time.

This is a continuation a conversation from this weeks Dynamite thread that I decided to add to the October thread.

There’s several Ring of Honor contracts expiring at the end of the year. Marty, Brody PCO, Cobb, Rush, Dragon Lee and Bandido, plus dudes like PJ Black, Shane Taylor, Tracy Williams and Beer City Bruiser. 

That’s a lot of talent on the market come January. 

Marty seems to be a lock. Does anyone know when exactly Marty’s contract expires in November?

I’d like to see PCO and Brody King in AEW. The idea of Marty going rogue and not aligning with The Elite but having his own crew. Although PCO is challenging Rush for the ROH Title at Final Battle. They put the strap on Kyle O’Reilly and he didn’t resign. If PCO does win the strap and doesn’t resign he could always drop the strap to Jay Lethal at Wrestle Kingdom. Or PCO could turn up on Dynamite and toss the strap in the trash.

Or they could have Rush retain and drop they belt to somebody the next day at the TV Tapings. Who I don’t know. Maybe Silas Young.

If I was AEW I’d go after Rush, with ROH’s relationship with CMLL getting stronger I can’t see Rush and Dragon Lee staying in ROH once their contracts are up. Entice the brothers by allowing them to continue taking Mexican Indie dates. I’d make a run for Bandido too.

Now that New Japan seems cold on him I’d go for Jeff Cobb too. I’ve seen him plenty live in ROH and Defy dude is very athletic and can go from what I’ve seen. Plus he has a pretty solid buzz in the Bay Area/PNW and when AEW starts expanding out there he’d be a perfect addition to the roster.

How many people they sign at the first of the year I would imagine depends on if the start running the Saturday night house shows by then. Extra date a week would mean filling out the roster. Also if they do add a Television title with Weekly defenses on television with the 15 minute time limits you will also need to bolster the Midcard.

With that in mind I’d look at Tracy Williams and Beer City Bruiser.

Tracy is really good wrestler whose just been under the radar honing his craft in AIW, Beyond and Evolve before spending this last year in ROH. I think he’d be perfect for a Television Championship devision.

Beer City is the guy I’d make a run at. He’s a classic boss. A tough guy looking for a fight. A throwback to the tough guy midcarder heels from the territory days who may not have the best win-loss record but you know he’s gonna give the face a run for their money. Bruiser was on Jericho’s Podcast and Jericho seemed to be a fan of his work. Having an advocate on the inside may help him get a contract. This is all speculation. I’d also make an offer to Silas Young when his contract is up at the end of 2021.

I wouldn’t bother with Black or Taylor.

• Like 4

So it's good news/ bad news for Flip Gordon. He's going to be ROH champion, but he'll also be the only guy left on the roster. Defending against Invisible Stan every week in a series of what will be (in a face-saving measure) retroactively announced empty arena matches. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think giving refs known personalities/styles is a good way to differentiate themselves and add that real sports feel (Aww fuck, we’ve got TV Teddy Valentine AND Karl Hess tonight?!?!), but as an attorney, Cody’s “refs have discretion” explanation irked me, because that’s now his discretion works. Discretion should be in interpreting rules, not in deciding whether to enforce them at all. The latter would be abuse of discretion. That said, it would be cool if started getting played up as “Oh shit, Rick Knox is officiating, you know someone is going to take advantage and interfere” or “Jimmy Havoc gets disqualified in 67% of his matches that Aubrey Edwards officiates.”

I'd pay to see Jimmy Havoc staple gun Valentine and Hess.

I think the Bruiser's one of those guys who would be unique for AEW, and he gets over.  I like most of those names mentioned, though I'd pass on Williams, Taylor, and would only take Black if you get Johnny.

Edited by alstein

49 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Marty seems to be a lock. Does anyone know when exactly Marty’s contract expires in November?

Pretty sure Meltzer said the end of November. Wwe will certainly make him a good offer, if only to keep him from AEW. I really hope aew gets Scurll, Cobb, and bandido. That will make their singles roster deeper right off. 

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Pretty sure Meltzer said the end of November. Wwe will certainly make him a good offer, if only to keep him from AEW. I really hope aew gets Scurll, Cobb, and bandido. That will make their singles roster deeper right off. 

Marty debuting at the end of the Thanksgiving Eve episode of Dynamite would blow the roof off of The Sears.

• Like 4