DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

This. When they hype something as a differentiator from WWE, it’s fair to hold them to that in just the second week. Cody’s explanation was fine, but everything he said about their wins applied to PAC more. He could have easily said they’re already with negotiating with PAC for a title shot, while Allin/Havoc are having to fight to earn one, or that their records simply reflect the fact that few people have distinguished themselves this early on in the show, so they’re give two guys with some good early performance a chance to earn a shot. 

This is going to end with Tully managing Pac. 

Daaaamn. Sounds like the North Texas show in December is nearly sold out. 

As per usual, they went through the venue's ticketing service, which wasn't adequately prepared for just how many people were going to be buying tickets and so the site crashed. I know Ticketmaster is the fucking worst when it comes to all of the fees, but is there a reason why they don't go through them for ticket sales instead of the venue's website? So many times websites have been crashed because of demand.

Anyway, got my tickets to the Thanksgiving Eve show. We went with floor seats. Got them off of StubHub. 4th row on the floor and they were face value. Too bad we also had to pay StubHub's fuckface fees.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I can’t upload Twitter on my phone, but it’s been officially announced that Jericho Vs. Allin for the AEW Title will be a Philadelphia Street Fight. Also Jericho will be under the Painmaker persona.

Not sure I'd go straight for a Street Fight as I think that could be saved for a later and built towards better, but good Lord, that should be great.

Edited by Edwin

Random thought...I wonder if there's money in Allin being the Ash Ketchum of AEW. Always winning, but never winning the big one, gets a hair away from winning the world title, and then finally does so. Obviously, this wouldn't take place over 20 some odd years.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Random thought...I wonder if there's money in Allin being the Ash Ketchum of AEW. Always winning, but never winning the big one, gets a hair away from winning the world title, and then finally does so. Obviously, this wouldn't take place over 20 some odd years.

That's the way they were building him up in EVOLVE before he signed with AEW.

I love what they're doing by following the NJPW model of putting feuding wrestlers in tag matches against each other. That's a good way to push feuds and storylines further without running into 50/50 bullshit.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I love what they're doing by following the NJPW model of putting feuding wrestlers in tag matches against each other. That's a good way to push feuds and storylines further without running into 50/50 bullshit.

I think I love more that they announce a card before the show airs. No more wrestlers standing in the ring reciting bad comedy to then be blindsided by matches being announced in the ring.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think I love more that they announce a card before the show airs. No more wrestlers standing in the ring reciting bad comedy to then be blindsided by matches being announced in the ring.

Next Wednesday can't get here soon enough.

• Like 3

SCU vs Best Friends is likely to be very solid but not a ***** or anything.

Lucha Bros vs Jurassic Express could be awesome, but hard to say. 

Riho and Baker.....guess we'll see. Riho is over so probably won't be a disaster but they should keep it tight. Issa Yankem's gotta show us something though.

Omega/Page vs Pac/Moxley should be pretty good, but they'll hold back a bit.

Jericho vs Allin will probably be a clusterfuck, but hopefully a good one.

There are guys in AEW that I know were underused in WWE like Shawn Spears and Cody and PAC. But yeah, Jake Hager ain’t one of them. 

Honestly, as NXT starts becoming overflooded and talent starts leaving in due to under utilization, I think some guys like Lio Rush would be great. Wwe has all the talent in the world in terms of wrestling. Kenny can kayfabe shit talk half that roster on NXT, but half that roster can and has wrestled on his level before. AEW should be looking at guys that they know are going to be underutilized in WWE that not only need a different direction, but aren’t in it because they are cast offs. 

Getting guys like Hager and Ryback is shit. I’d rather wait until Will Ospreay’s contract is up or some shit because at least he is refreshing. 

• Like 1

I don't really have a problem with Hager tbh, I thought the All-American American was pretty great; he's not really comparable to a limited worker like Ryback. He's a heater and he's not even worked a match yet - and certainly won't be before Oct 25 because he's on Bellator 231. His No.1 focus is probably MMA, which is great because he won't be around all the time.

Worth saying that whilst Jericho is pretty much legendary for fitting in surprise appearances, Fozzy are signed to Sony now and when the next album drops it's going to be serious business. He won't be at every show forever. 

We're going to see about under utilization - the truth is that a lot of those NXT guys are going to take the pay cheque to train in an awesome facility with highly experienced coaching (not just wrestling) in Florida. Even passed that.....they're paying tuition fees for some of the roster to study e.g. Nikki Cross is doing her History Masters on Vince. 

I mean, yeah, AEW is going to have to rotate people in and out whether they want to admit it or not and no doubt there will be ex-WWE guys in the mix - Luke Harper is still very clearly trying to get fired. But a lot of NXT guys are going to live with what they've got, because it's steady money and is going to set them up very nicely for their future career as personal trainers. I suspect a few of them genuinely don't want to be on the main roster.

Lio is really awesome and obviously he'd be an asset to AEW but I don't think small guys should be their priority. Ospreay just moved to Japan and feels like he's on a slow push to the top of the card. 2-3 years down the line maybe...obviously NJPW and AEW working together would change that.

Edited by ComingToAmerica