DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

I enjoyed the first two matches on Dark. Allin vs Cima was a fun sprint. The 4 way was a mess of high spots, but there's some stuff that stood out. First, holy shit, I think AEW has something special with Orange Cassidy. I didn't know how his act would play in front of larger crowds, but people eat it up. Second, I think my second favorite camera shot in all of wrestling right now is the extreme zoom out on Dustin and Greg hugging (my favorite being the one it's ripping off, the zoom out on Okada's pose).

Private Party are going to be huge when they get some more seasoning. I'm kinda bummed that Angelico and Jack Evans are kinda jobbers here. Yeah, they were on the winning team, but Angelico should be doing bigger and better things I think.

Oh, I also watched the entrances for the womens tag match. Penelope Ford looks like a star, while Britt has a star-like appearance and an attitude or face that shows she'd rather be anywhere else.

Fuck, just position Allie in Britt's role. Allie has infinitely more charisma and is better in the ring.

• Like 3

I think the key with Orange Cassidy is to use him sparingly and not to overpush him and suddenly put him in main event or world title feuds like Eugene. I think the guy is clearly onto something.

Wrestling needs midcard comedy acts from time to time too. It's just a gimmick. The dude is basically the wrestler version of Ryan Gosling. But his mannerisms and selling are absolutely perfect. He clearly put a lot into developing his character and mannerisms. He even stayed in kayfabe when Chris Van Vliet interviewed him.

• Like 4

I didn't watch the women's match but the other 3 matches were fun. However, the Backstabber needs to be put on hiatus. All three matches used it liberally. They need to decide who gets the move. Isn't it one of Jericho's signature moves? 

2 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I didn't watch the women's match but the other 3 matches were fun. However, the Backstabber needs to be put on hiatus. All three matches used it liberally. They need to decide who gets the move. Isn't it one of Jericho's signature moves? 

Not exactly. Jericho's Codebreaker is two knees to the face/chest.

They're also aware of wrestlers all doing the same move. It's part of what they analyze when they rewatch the shows to tell others what's being overdone so that matches feel unique and not the same because the all feature the same moves or high spots.

• Like 1

Pretty sure at this point in wrestling, the backstabber is just another move. If Jericho uses it, that's likely the case as well - just another move.

He still uses the Codebreaker as a "signature" move, which is more or less just a reverse backstabber.

I'm glad to see they're having Emi Sakura on tonight but damn am I bummed she wasn't on last week.  We would have lost our motherfucking minds if we saw her live.  But yeah, looks like it's gonna be a pretty good show.  And I had no intention of watching Dark since we were there but it sure felt nice to watch.  The women's tag came off better on the show than live and the other three  were really fun.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I’ve been of the belief all along that Orange Cassidy is going to be a huge star.  

I was hoping AEW dark would be better than a b show, but nope.  Cima-Darby had some moments.  Darby is another star in the making - clearly.  The women’s tag was sloppy and not particularly strong.  I completely agree with @Oyaji on The Doctor.  This whole division minus the Joshis need a lot of work.  I hope whomever said something to the effect that maybe the workers actually thought these were actual dark matches is right and these matches get a stronger effort for week two.  Also, that green screen is pretty laughable. 

On 10/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's why this entire win-loss record deal is stupid. EVOLVE had it for their early shows and had to abandon it because it was lame. You can make wins-losses matter without having to keep track of it.

Edit:

giphy.gif

Edited by Edwin

It would be less confusing if they just go full on Electoral Vote system for who the number one contender is. Wisconsin and Pennsylvania prefer Darby to PAC. PAC didn’t advertise enough in Florida. Minnesota voted for Arik Cannon for some reason. Darby vs Jericho.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I hope whomever said something to the effect that maybe the workers actually thought these were actual dark matches is right and these matches get a stronger effort for week two.

I can't see this being the case - since the entire commentary team stayed out in the arena to call the matches before and after the show, there were cameras ringside filming, and Tony Khan spoke about this idea at the post-All Out scrum (just not officially announcing it yet). At the end of the day, they're all dark matches, even the name of the YouTube show reflects this. So I don't think we should expect any classics or anything.

Also, a reminder that "Wrestlers On the Road Ordering Room Service" w/ Joey Janela and the Young Bucks airs on the Being The Elite channel on YouTube after Dynamite tonight.

Well if we go by the people PAC, and the matches he’s had Vs. Darby, and the matches he’s had, then Darby would be the clear choice to a potential number 1 contender. Like who has PAC beaten? PAC has beaten two losers who have failed to capture glory. While Darby went the distance with the Full Gear #1 contender, and had an impressive victory over a legend. If we go by that criteria, you know the answer.

• Like 2

I love that we're in week two, and justifying the win/loss thing is already excruciating. And one of the EVPs is probably going to feel compelled to field a question justifying their decisions relating to it every single week. 

For as much of a legend as Cima is held up to be, he's also been a losing loser who loses in AEW. And one of his recent losses was against that losing loser Kenny Omega. How impressive is it to beat a guy who just recently lost to that losing loser?

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well if we go by the people PAC, and the matches he’s had Vs. Darby, and the matches he’s had, then Darby would be the clear choice to a potential number 1 contender. Like who has PAC beaten? PAC has beaten two losers who have failed to capture glory. While Darby went the distance with the Full Gear #1 contender, and had an impressive victory over a legend. If we go by that criteria, you know the answer.

?

Yeah, that's a pretty bad spin and you know it.

Even the UFC struggles with this and folks fight much lesser times a year, I don't see how AEW won't when their roster will be much more active.

Edited by Edwin

Or you could, I don't know, not care so freaking much about how it's determined. In the end, this shit is all still pre-determined. Stop treating it like why the #5 ranked team in NCAA football got screwed over or why a bubble team didn't make it into the men's or women's NCAA basketball tournament. 

If you nit pick this stuff to such a granular level then you're going to drive yourself crazy. And it's week 2 of their TV show. Maybe let this shit play out and see if the opportunities one wrestler gets becomes a reason for another wrestler to feud with them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Or you could, I don't know, not care so freaking much about how it's determined. In the end, this shit is all still pre-determined. Stop treating it like why the #5 ranked team in NCAA football got screwed over or why a bubble team didn't make it into the men's or women's NCAA basketball tournament. 

If you nit pick this stuff to such a granular level then you're going to drive yourself crazy. And it's week 2 of their TV show. Maybe let this shit play out and see if the opportunities one wrestler gets becomes a reason for another wrestler to feud with them.

Folks breakdown in detail lesser things, you think they won't this when it's been brought up multiple times by those in charge?

If they didn't want to get called out on it constantly, they should've avoided mentioning it in the first place.

As I said before, wins and losses can matter without record keeping.

Also this "let's not be as overly critical and over analytical" response is similar to an answer Meltzer gave to something AEW related a little bit ago, but then he proceeded to be overly critical and overly analytical about something WWE did. Hypocrite.

It's just sad the AEW fan base goes all up in arms when fans do to their product what they usually do to WWE.

Edited by Edwin

All those Fight For The Fallen matches should have an asterisk next to them. That was a charity show, and they should be all considered exhibition matches. Did Rocky Vs. Thunderlips count towards Rocky’s record? No, because that was an exhibitions, and they weren’t trying. Neither was Cima at Fight For The Fallen.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If only you could follow your own advice when it comes to WWE...

AEW said wins and losses will matter, and determine who gets title matches. This isn't something the fanbase made up, so when their new number one contenders match is between two guys with .500 records, it's like putting the Tennessee Volunteers and Indiana Hoosiers into the college football playoff because "they lost to some good teams". 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

All those Fight For The Fallen matches should have an asterisk next to them. That was a charity show, and they should be all considered exhibition matches. Did Rocky Vs. Thunderlips count towards Rocky’s record? No, because that was an exhibitions, and they weren’t trying. Neither was Cima at Fight For The Fallen.

Peak goalpost moving.

Edited by Edwin

2 minutes ago, Dewar said:

If only you could follow your own advice when it comes to WWE...

AEW said wins and losses will matter, and determine who gets title matches. This isn't something the fanbase made up, so when their new number one contenders match is between two guys with .500 records, it's like putting the Tennessee Volunteers and Indiana Hoosiers into the college football playoff because "they lost to some good teams". 

Except it's not like your example or analogy at all considering it would be much wilder to place either of those teams into the CFP after an entire season whereas this is a wrestling promotion in it's second week of television.

Also, WWE is a fucking dumpster fire of epic proportions. They're a company who has every resource imaginable available to them and they can't help themselves from insulting the intelligence of their audience week after week after week while we continue to tune in hopes that it will get better because they have a ton of people who could be used far better. The complete dogshit from this past Sunday or even stupid crap from as far back as Jinder fucking Mahal being booked to win the world title after just being a jobber for YEARS is worth bitching about and nitpicking because, again, they've had years to right the ship and they've only made the problem worse. That's a liiiiiiittle different than me saying to relax on looking at the reasoning behind who is taking on who to take on Jericho since it's ONLY the second week of TV.  If this is something that continues a few months from now when things are more established, then fine. That will be pretty dumb.

1 minute ago, OctopusCinema said:

I like the records so far. I’m interpreting it as top few spots can get a shot. Not primo number one only. It leads to cool graphics and fun.

And also this.