DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

I'm into Darby Alllin and Jimmy Havoc facing off for a shot at the title, but those win-loss records are a bit difficult of a sell with the wins matter moto.  I'll accept quality of wins, but it's a bit of a stretch.  Regardless, just standing by a reason two wrestlers would battle for a title shot seems like 'genius' logic compared to the New York territory.

From the BTE, I sense a change in attitude for the Hangman.  Perhaps that's best.  The All-American babyface feels kinda dead in the water after two straight high profile losses.  A bout against the Natural seems likely, and I'm into it. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Kylie Rae is booked on an Impact show. Makes you wonder what really happened between her and AEW 

I normally don't post the same thing in two topics but since it's being brought up in both this and Impact:

I'm hoping it's due to it being an easier schedule on a show not many watch.  Would be a way to make yourself visible without the pressure of being the face of a big promotion.  And considering what I think may have happened it might be a good way to ease back into it.  But if it's something else that merits raising red flags then that shouldn't be ignored.  I personally hope the latter scenario isn't the case though.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

December 11th, Garland Texas, Curtis Culwell Centre. Dallas Fort Worth metroplex area.

I am more curious how long it's going to be until they book a show in Sacramento.

And yes, Kylie Rae is working an Impact show but it's also in her home base.I am wondering if she still wants to wrestle but whatever happened with AEW caused her to be spooked by going on the road and working shows where she is not surrounded folks she knows really well and feels safe around. 

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

New BTE

If this is the new format for BTE, then I'm down with this too. I loved that episode. This can also be their outlet for little jabs at WWE's fuck-ups when they feel like it, instead of it poisoning the TV show. I'm glad they asked (and answered) the question about why Hangman wasn't out there at the show ending brawl. Seems like he's a little salty, I like it.

Kenny sitting there with Nakazawa and Riho gave me a strong vibe of Omega starting his own group with those two plus some other Japanese talent. I don't know why, but it did. I love me some faction warfare, and bringing the New Japan style of STABLES EVERYWHERE to the States wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I agree they have a perfect outlet in the web show for the petty (but amusing) dunking on WWE, and focus on themselves for the big show. 

I called Allin. PAC’s got a stronger record for the second participant but you can tenuously make the argument that he beat two losers, they shouldn’t be dogmatic about the W/L to the point it gets in the way of booking.

Week 2 is looking stacked but doesn’t feel like anything’s being hotshotted either. The ratings have borne out the fact that there hasn’t been much crossover in audiences, which suggests a great opportunity to capitalise on WWE’s mis-steps (this week includes but not limited to: the Kofi shit, the Smackdown no-shows, pulling 205 live with no notice, the HIAC debacle)

the great thing is that they don’t need a knee jerk spectacle to be the antidote. The perfect antidote is simply a reassuringly consistent and logical show that builds week to week with professional, excited announcers filling out the story and the colour. The inevitable mis-steps are also more easily overlooked when you get the genuine sense that there is no ‘fuck you we got your money’ mentality at any level within the company.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

And yes, Kylie Rae is working an Impact show but it's also in her home base.I am wondering if she still wants to wrestle but whatever happened with AEW caused her to be spooked by going on the road and working shows where she is not surrounded folks she knows really well and feels safe around. 

AEW signed her before she worked in any other areas/promotions other than her home? And if she is spooked by working shows where she's not surrounded by folks she knows really well and feels safe around, maybe she chose the wrong profession?  

• Like 1

No one knows why she quit, but most of the rumored stories aren't really kind to AEW management.  Whatever it was, it was enough that she killed social media and quit the business, then came back to a familar place.   Until it comes out what exactly happened, probably best not to take shots at either party.

• Like 1

What happens if the Nationals win tonight and we have two NLDS games on Wednesday?

The schedule right now is if both game 5s happen, Braves/Cardinals starts at 5:02pm Eastern and Nationals/Dodgers starts at 8:37 Eastern. If Braves/Cardinals is still going on when Nationals/Dodgers would start, which network does Nationals/Dodgers start on? because so far this postseason, any time a game started before the TBS game ended, they aired it on TNT. Would AEW have enough clout to avoid being preempted in week 2?

Obviously if the Dodgers win, Braves/Cardinals is on TBS and there's no problem.

But it would fit the legacy of wrestling on the Turner networks if the Atlanta Braves played random havoc with the wrestling schedule, I guess.

----

Edit: With the Nationals winning, we have two game 5s on Wednesday. Cardinals/Braves games have went 4:07, 2:46, 3:22, and 4:06 (game 4 went 10 innings). So anything over 3:35ish for Game 5 and we get to find out which Turner Network airs Nationals/Dodgers while TBS airs the conclusion of Braves/Cardinals.

TruTV might be the destination of either Dynamite or Nationals/Dodgers on Wednesday (TruTV is also airing a 1 hour version of last Wednesday's Dynamite tomorrow at 7pm Central).

Edited by Cobra Commander

4 hours ago, Casey said:

If this is the new format for BTE, then I'm down with this too. I loved that episode. This can also be their outlet for little jabs at WWE's fuck-ups when they feel like it, instead of it poisoning the TV show. I'm glad they asked (and answered) the question about why Hangman wasn't out there at the show ending brawl. Seems like he's a little salty, I like it.

Kenny sitting there with Nakazawa and Riho gave me a strong vibe of Omega starting his own group with those two plus some other Japanese talent. I don't know why, but it did. I love me some faction warfare, and bringing the New Japan style of STABLES EVERYWHERE to the States wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion.

I can see them doing an angle where the Elite break up. If the Jericho stable is all about winning and holding the gold, whilst Moxley (and whoever he recruits, assuming he's having his own group) is going after Kenny, and the Blanchard crew are the Death to the Rhodes Legacy group, you've got a divide and conquer/ where were you I thought you had my back series going on. Plus Kenny maybe preferring Japanese company, and Cody having MJF as his new best friend... there's a lot to work with there.

In other news, Angelico and Jack Evans are now called The Hybridz.

• Like 2

well, the quirk here is that AEW starts a half-hour before Dodgers/Nationals. So if they were bumping AEW, it'd be something like "first half hour on TNT, bumped to TruTV, and then back to TNT once Braves/Cardinals ends". Which would be tremendous for the AEW Dark content if Wednesday was AEW Beware of Dog.

I think Dodgers/Nationals starting on TruTV would be the least chaotic scenario and probably what they'd do. I mean, is TruTV on fewer systems than MLB Network (which also televises playoff games)?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AxB said:

I can see them doing an angle where the Elite break up. If the Jericho stable is all about winning and holding the gold, whilst Moxley (and whoever he recruits, assuming he's having his own group) is going after Kenny, and the Blanchard crew are the Death to the Rhodes Legacy group, you've got a divide and conquer/ where were you I thought you had my back series going on. Plus Kenny maybe preferring Japanese company, and Cody having MJF as his new best friend... there's a lot to work with there.

In other news, Angelico and Jack Evans are now called The Hybridz.

Now, Santana and Ortiz just need a name.

1 minute ago, Ace said:

They seem to be playing up "Proud & Powerful" on twitter.

Proud & Powerful isn't bad. I'd go with something related to the Bronx, like The Bronx Zoo or The Boogie Down.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

well, the quirk here is that AEW starts a half-hour before Dodgers/Nationals. So if they were bumping AEW, it'd be something like "first half hour on TNT, bumped to TruTV, and then back to TNT once Braves/Cardinals ends". Which would be tremendous for the AEW Dark content if Wednesday was AEW Beware of Dog.

I think Dodgers/Nationals starting on TruTV would be the least chaotic scenario and probably what they'd do. I mean, is TruTV on fewer systems than MLB Network (which also televises playoff games)?

If the way NBA games get handled in similar situations applies here, I can see them starting the game on both TruTV and the MLB Network.