DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCT 2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I don't understand how North Carolina can do so well in terms of TV ratings but there are a shitload of tickets still available for the show there. Looking at the seating charts for shows in November and beyond is pretty ugly. I'm interested in seeing how they handle this if the first few weeks of TV don't create an upsurge in ticket sales.

Gonna be there no matter what, so I hope they do a good show.

That tag match is going to be fucking lovely. That Dustin was part of the early '90s WCW golden age of TV main event tag matches and hopefully what this will become too. That they're separated by almost 30 years is something else and speaks volumes of how much Dustin has overcome that he's still in this great of shape and is this good.

edit: That is the security guard from ECW, right? Modern day Doug Dillinger and just as competent! 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Dustin should come out as The Natural for his team with Page.

He’s actually been going by that nickname since joining AEW. His gear even says it down his back. Honestly he looks better with this gear. Easily his best look without the Goldust gimmick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That tag match is going to be fucking lovely. That Dustin was part of the early '90s WCW golden age of TV main event tag matches and hopefully what this will become too. That they're separated by almost 30 years is something else and speaks volumes of how much Dustin has overcome that he's still in this great of shape and is this good.

edit: That is the security guard from ECW, right? Modern day Doug Dillinger and just as competent! 

Yes, that's Atlas Security. They're better than Doug Dillinger. Dillinger was like one step above mall security.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, that's Atlas Security. They're better than Doug Dillinger. Dillinger was like one step above mall security.

Doug Dillinger will also inadvertently hurt your budding superstar that's suppose to win your world title. Keep him far away.

• Like 1

Jungle Boy's line about WWE making him fall out of love with wrestling is kind of heartbreaking and I think describes a lot of us that are super excited about AEW.

I also like Nyla's response to how it feels to have headlines describing her as the first trans person in wrestling to sign a major contract.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I was a little bit meh on the 'Alliance of Jericho' formation but then I realised that it would probably mean lots of cool tag matches - and yeah cool tag matches with Dustin fucking Rhodes and then I chilled the fuck out about it. AEW TV is going to be very tag-heavy, and that's absolutely perfect in my view.

The truth is, there was a logical reason why Impact had all those big heel stables - it makes a lot of sense as a booking strategy.

It becomes a 'nWO' redux when;

a) one heel stable dominates the show to the point when any feud/stoyrline not involving it automatically feels secondary. But I'm pretty sure AEW will avoid that.

b) people are constantly moving in and out of the group. AEW should look to avoid that.

c) there's too many of them. They should be the size of a rock band and no more (a manager is permitted, two is pushing it).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Yeah, I was a little bit meh on the 'Alliance of Jericho' formation but then I realised that it would probably mean lots of cool tag matches - and yeah cool tag matches with Dustin fucking Rhodes and then I chilled the fuck out about it. AEW TV is going to be very tag-heavy, and that's absolutely perfect in my view.

The truth is, there was a logical reason why Impact had all those big heel stables - it makes a lot of sense as a booking strategy.

It becomes a 'nWO' redux when;

a) one heel stable dominates the show to the point when any feud/stoyrline not involving it automatically feels secondary. But I'm pretty sure AEW will avoid that.

b) people are constantly moving in and out of the group. AEW should look to avoid that.

c) there's too many of them. They should be the size of a rock band and no more (a manager is permitted, two is pushing it).

They are very clique heavy it seems with the wrestlers. Jurassic Express, Best Friends + Cassidy, the Elite, SCU, and Jericho’s crew. I’m sure there will be guys without any official allegiances who will team with either heels, or faces depending where they land on the face/heel spectrum. I assume this is the NJPW influence on the company. I’m for it honestly. More potential merch sales. I just hope they don’t come, and go like Dragon Gate’s constantly changing factions, or the wrestlers act like one sentient wrestler as they do in Dragon Gate.

I can’t wait till it’s discovered that a wrestler has been padding his stats with fixed matches.

They did that skit on BTE. They were booked on a Bullet Club vs Bullet Club six man match, so they decided to have a 'fake wrestling match' where they would plan the match spot for spot in the back and then not actually fight each other when they were in the ring, just pretend to.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did we not post this? Fucking MJEFF getting the big babyface pop while simultaneously making fun of us. Awesome!

Edit: I have an irrational hatred of everybody whipping their phones to record shit in general but Comic Con is the absolute worst for that.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was a real good interview above. Jericho pretty much confirms WWE were behind problems with getting another show in the NY/NJ area, which makes me have second thoughts about the problems NJ had at Hammerstein. 

If only WWE put as much effort into their shortcomings as they do fucking with other promotions. I've pretty much given up on them anyway and will be all out if nxt completely goes to shit.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 7:50 AM, Casey said:

Jungle Boy's line about WWE making him fall out of love with wrestling is kind of heartbreaking and I think describes a lot of us that are super excited about AEW.

Not so heartbreaking for me.  Just reality.  The lapsed fan theory rings very true.  If I'd had a NJPW World Option in 02 or 3 I may have been compelled to continue, but honestly it was nice to cut ties with the squared circle for 15 plus years (save for a few live shows and those ECW ONS PPVs).  I feel refreshed and kinda sorta thankful to Vince, Steph, Hunter and crew for crushing my interest. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1